Thread: Repairing inflateable

Default Repairing inflateable

Just picked up my second one. I need to do a little bit of glueing and redo a couple patches. Any good websites for doing repairs? Maybe books? I've done some searching but nothing good. Have an old 14' zodiac and 14' Avon to fix. Any help would be much appreciated. I want to do the work myself as I enjoy it.

Default You have a couple of options

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=71331

Read this thread...
    Brian did the work for me that I wanted and while I have not tested the work yet for obvious reasons I am pleased at what I see. I am sure they can also tell you what is needed to fix your raft'.

Secondly is Daniel at Marita Sea and Ski. Good guy and he takes care of all there raft sales and service. Plus they are the Zodiac dealer in town.

Good luck.
    Tony

Default Did a rebuild on one.

My father gave me an old Zodiac off the roof of his charter boat, it was a 1984 model G4 or mark 4 something, I believe, it was never used much, just rotted in the weather. The transom board (2 inch thick wood) pulled away from its seat, along with any other glued pieces of material that was on it. All the keel strips, plugs, any piece separated from another piece, but the air bladders were sound and held air good.

I bought a quart of glue from Marita Sea and Ski and used some 418 non-primer urethane auto glass sealant that I sell myself at (Rival Glass Co.) to glue it all together. The glue goes on the face of the material and the urethane is painted on the edges that may "lip up" due to age and wear. Mask off the edge, leave about a two-inch area to make a strip type coating on the seam.

The transom I painted, and screwed the rubber to the wood like rivots to add strength and a good look.

When it was done, it was back to "good as new" strength and reliability.

After some good use by me, I eventually sold it.

Good luck!

Are the holes small? If so, and especially if the material is hypalon, patching is easy. Surely there are directions on some website.

Most of the holes are less than 1/4". I haven't found any bigger than that. I think the boat (Avon, as it's the one in my garage right now) is hypalon. All the plates are on it. I need to try looking up the serial number. I'd imagine the boat is pretty old. I have a few seams coming up and 4 patches to replace or repair. Transom looks pretty good but will be getting resealed. Keel is still attached well, as is the bottom. The copper transom supports are toast. Need to find or build new ones. Overall pretty happy with the buy. Couldn't beat the price and can't wait to get started. Will check out Marita tomorrow for materials. The transom plug housing came out though so I need to find a new assembly. What's a good sealer to use on the wood floor and transom?

Was emailed this link and it looks pretty good and gives me an idea of what needs to be done. http://alaskaraftconnection.com/msg15.htm

Default a little more info

AKBronkoII,

Here is a little more info for you for "do it yourself" work...

http://alaskaraftconnection.com/msg15.htm

as well as

http://alaskaraftconnection.com/msg14.htm

So good information and no pressure.

Good luck.
    Tony

Default Sportsman's Show

Tracey Harmon from Alaska Raft and Kayak gave a seminar on raft repair at the Sportsman's Show last year, and had a good handout.