Thread: anybody know a good place to go hunting?

Default anybody know a good place to go hunting?

it's been too long since i been out on a great alaska hunting adventure. i am in for several permits in the drawing, but my work will start again as soon as this snow melts. i am looking for a place to go now.......to hunt just about anything. i'm in soldotna.....i have all the gear and THINK i have plenty of experience.........just need some good solid intell on where to go and for what that would be good right now.

my budget is less than 1,000 bucks, my time line is between now and about april 1st. please help if you can, if you have any ideas.

i need to get out in the woods and chase something-

Wink looks like bunnies for you

fit your price range and time frame.
    could probably do some predator calling up your way too.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Might get a shot at Musk Ox in unit 22 for around your grand limit.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

i'm thinking bear, because it has been such a mild winter, to the south anyway. i know it is still a bit early yet.

i prefer hunting via air taxi. and, i always try to get a cabin. going by air reduces hunting pressure and makes for a better hunting experience for me personally. and a cabin is soooooooooo nice to get everything dry and keep warm.

i wouldn't mind hunting from the road this time of year, there not many people out. i do have snow machine, ect.

my budget might be..............1,500 or 2,000 but that's it. i can really go anywhere in the state. and i want to change my state of mind before the summer grind of work begins. thanks to you two for the suggestions i've so far-

i have been searching a few days now for the right opportunity. i got the bug and need to get in a little quality time with mother nature. and it's always better when i'm chasing something

Either predator hunting, possibly remote "freeze your butt off" bou, the aforementioned OX (see bou comment), or ice fishing...

IDEA: hunt with a (10x digital) camera (and scout) now, SAVE MONEY FOR PLANNED HUNT LATER. Still get to chase (your choice of) wildlife around the brush...and "shoot" it.
    Tracking, stealth, patience, etc...Similar challenges, except the harvesting part.
    It's what you make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    IDEA: hunt with a (10x digital) camera (and scout) now, SAVE MONEY FOR PLANNED HUNT LATER. Still get to chase (your choice of) wildlife around the brush...and "shoot" it.
    Tracking, stealth, patience, etc...Similar challenges, except the harvesting part.
    It's what you make of it.

....Um....so, Arizona ...........
    ...What, in your "expert opinion" would you suggest he go hunt first with the camera.....

-..............goats, or sheep.............??

-LMBO-
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Quote Originally Posted by hooternanny View Post
    it's been too long since i been out on a great alaska hunting adventure. i am in for several permits in the drawing, but my work will start again as soon as this snow melts. i am looking for a place to go now.......to hunt just about anything. i'm in soldotna.....i have all the gear and THINK i have plenty of experience.........just need some good solid intell on where to go and for what that would be good right now.

my budget is less than 1,000 bucks, my time line is between now and about april 1st. please help if you can, if you have any ideas.

i need to get out in the woods and chase something-
    ...hey, hooter,

-some good ideas and advice the first three posts in response-

-I know what you mean about wanting to get out and chase something...
    -good luck!- enjoy whatever you decide to embark upon;
    -and let us know how it goes-

....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Quote Originally Posted by aksheephuntress View Post
    ....Um....so, Arizona ...........
    ...What, in your "expert opinion" would you suggest he go hunt first with the camera.....

-..............goats, or sheep.............??

-LMBO-
    "LMAO" I almost fell out of my chair, you and I would get along just fine. Maybe he could put my on a nice picture of an Elk down here. Can you put hot sauce on that?

Default Portage!

I been doing real good for years going to portage and slipping over the fence at that wild life park when it get's dark. They got Moose, Bear and Elk. Not to many moose so I leaves them alone cause they might miss him, but them Elk are plentyfull. Don't think you'd have any problems, heck I been doing it for years and besides if you get caught the fine probably wouldnt break your budgit!
    Nother good hunt, if your into sheep is Denali park. Yep take a breakdown rifle like a contender and load up like a backpacker, them park folks will haul you around in them big busses and drop you off where ever you want. Once you shoot something, you gotta toss the rifle and bone out the sheep but it will easily fit in you pack this way. Then go back to the road and wait for the bus to come by. They strap all the backpackers stuff on the back of the bus, probably cause backpackers stink, and haul you back to the front gate. Don't spread this one around or else them trophy sheep will dissapear perty quick.
    Have fun on the hunt and let us know how it owrks out.
    Mike

Thumbs up

i'm on it!

and i'll will let you know all the specifics, send pics, ect.

funny, this thread got over 1,000 views, but only 10 responce.

does that tell the tale or what?
    edit signature here