Thread: Newbie....1999 Lowe tunnel jon question???

Default Newbie....1999 Lowe tunnel jon question???

I am thinking of buying a used Jon with a jet on it. Not alot of boat experience and am looking for some advice. The boat I am looking at is a 99 lowe riveted 1674 with a 1999 yamaha 40 jet with new impeller and sleeve. The owner had the tunnel modified to make it smaller as I guess the older Lowe tunnels had some cavitation problems. Also welded some extensions on the back to help keep it flat. Looks like its in good shape but is used. Hard to test motor as it is on boat stored outside and can not hear it run. The seller seems honest and sincere and looks like he takes care of stuff. Asking around $6000 and was wondering if this sounds like a fair price? Trailer is homemade but looks fine. Any pros or cons on the Yamaha motor or the Lowe jons? Thanks for any help as I am kinda ignorant on Jet boats and what to look for.

a little high for a hacked up boat. and if its a 60/40 motor it is about the right size but a 40/25 might be too small.
    dont buy any used boat without the owner taking you out and giving it a good workout with you. if the motor is shot you will be spending 8 grand for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by flatbottom View Post
    a little high for a hacked up boat. and if its a 60/40 motor it is about the right size but a 40/25 might be too small.
    dont buy any used boat without the owner taking you out and giving it a good workout with you. if the motor is shot you will be spending 8 grand for a new one.
    I agree and you offer great advice. And if you can't do that, drag it to a boat shop and pay the small fee they charge to give it a good look over. If the owner is reluctant, the deal is going nowhere and you probably don't want the boat anyways.

Be very very wary buying used in Alaska.. ( or many other places as well). Most people run their stuff up here til it's about dead. And lots seem to think that if they paid 10,000 for it 9 years ago and they run the heck out of it, (gently used) is the term I think, that it should be at least worth between 9-11 grand.. Boats hit an age where they don't depreciate much, but close to new price on a beatup boat is crazy. ) Boats, 4wheelers, snowmobiles, take yer pick... Spend the money and have it checked out by a GOOD boat shop. Last used boat I bought, I had it checked out first. The boat place totally hosed me over. So after rebuilding the whole jet drive and fixing various other minor things, it's rock solid now. But, I didn't want to do that right away.

Now, I'm looking for a newer boat, I just had a sportjon checked out at the boat shop and they said it needed about 2k in repairs to make it right and useable for the year. The owner had never done any jet maintenance on it in 7 years. Sure. plugs and filters, but no jet work. Best 165 bucks I spent IMHO on boats. Didn't get the boat, but that's ok. The fact I didn't get taken for once, was a major relief.

thats right, getting it checked out is the thing to do but also go in the boat for a workout. the boat place may not take the boat into the water and see how it performs. that is your job. do that first it is free and you can then tell the boat shop what things you are worried about.
    check out the owner and see how he treats his boat and how much he uses it. that means alot.
    almost everyone that buys an older boat wishes they spent some more and got a newer one especially if they are taking it places that wont be fun if it breaks there.

Stormy.... just wait watch Craigslist there will be way better boats for sale as the season gets closer.