Thread: AKC Registration

Arrow AKC Registration

Anyone expierencing delays in registration paperwork from the AKC for Labradors. Figure I would ask the question as I have been patient with the breeder of my dog and have yet to receive the paperwork and am starting to lose my patience as I have contacted him several times and each time been told the paperwork should be in any time.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

How long has it been & how old is the pup? Below is from AKC's website (http://www.akc.org/contact/answer_center/) They also have a page for resolving conflicts with a breeder, rules for registration, etc. Hope you get this resolved soon!!

Karen
    -----------------------------------

I never received a dog registration application from my breeder. How can I get an application for my dog?
    Answer: Buyers should not accept a promise that this identification or the registration application will be sent later. It is the buyer’s responsibility to obtain complete identification of the dog as described below. If sufficient information to identify the dog within AKC records is not forthcoming, the buyer should seriously consider not purchasing the dog.

This identifying information may be stated on a properly completed AKC registration application, on a bill of sale, or on a written statement, signed by the seller, that gives the dog's full breeding information as follows:

Breed, sex and color
    Date of birth of the dog
    Registered names and numbers of the dog's sire and dam
    Name and address of the breeder
    Date of purchase by the buyer
    Name and address of the buyer

If you have this information, you should write a letter to AKC and give the details of the situation and copies of any documents you have. Please provide the full names, addresses, and phone numbers of everyone involved, including you. You will need to fax or mail that letter and copies of all related documents to:
    American Kennel Club
    Case Management Dept.
    PO Box 900066
    Raleigh, NC 27675-9066
    Fax - 919-816-4250

We will review the situation, contact the breeder, and get back to you.

Please sign your letter of complaint.

Registration with the AKC is strictly voluntary. The AKC cannot force breeders to register their litters with us, and, as there are many domestic dog registries, the term “papers” or “papered” does not necessarily mean “eligible for AKC registration.”

If you have made every available effort to obtain the AKC registration application from the seller (litter owner/ breeder, pet store or third party) and it is still not forthcoming, the AKC can only recommend that you seek legal counsel to determine if you can obtain relief through civil channels. You may also wish to bring this matter to the attention of your local Better Business Bureau or Consumer Protection Service.

The AKC is not directly involved in the commerce of dogs, and the AKC does not license, endorse, register, or recommend any breeders or kennels. Membership in the AKC is comprised of independent dog clubs located throughout the United States. No individual persons are members of the AKC.

Karen the pup is now 6 1/2 months when I picked him up I asked about the paperwork and was told it would probably be a couple of weeks, this was the middle of October. Which even then I wasnt thrilled with the idea, of not getting papers at the same time as the dog. The only reason I agreed to it was the breeder is well known and been around awhile, (Which may be part of the problem ie.. gotten lax about getting the paperwork done in a timely manner)Anyrate end of November still no papers called was told should be in at anytime. First part of January called was told he had them in the stack with 50 others and just needed to fill them out and mail them. So now here it is March called was told he had confused the litter my pup had come from with another and didnt in fact have the papers yet and that he expected them anytime. So now you can see my reasoning for being upset. It isnt that im worried of never getting the paperwork, as im sure I will. Would like to get them before summer as I would like to possibly get the pup into some hunt tests. Just cant for the life of me understand why a breeder would not be timely in getting the registration taken care of. I understand busy schedules but this is unexcusable, and the old saying the job isnt done till the paperwork is done, keep coming to mind.
    Jesse

Might be a good time to let us all know who the breeder is. That way maybe others will know to stay clear.

When we picked up our Golden from the breeder, they gave us the forms that need to be sent to AKC to complete the registration along with a certificate from the breeder. It was a really simple matter of naming the dog and filling in the name on the form and then signing it. Got our stuff back from AKC within a couple weeks.

I'd say your breeder is the problem and you need to turn up the heat.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Registration woes

I've had some problems too with the hobby breeder telling me that Th papers are in the works. Its been 6 months now. The thing he didn't tell me was that they are trying to bo back 3 generations and register these dogs. I don't know how their rules work but, it sounds like I'm not gonna get the papers for the pup. I'm pretty sure the breeder will reimburse me 100 bucks, cause he's an honest integral guy and advertised them as papered purebreds. To" last2 ", I'd turn up the heat and say in a nice way"papers or pay up". You as the buyer haven't received what you paid for. The ball;s in his court.

This doesnt make any sense at all? Go back 3 generations to register them? If the parents or the grandparents aren't registered you aren't getting papers at least not "A.K.C" papers.

This comment from thelast2 also bothers me "he had them in the stack with 50 others and just needed to fill them out and mail them. So now here it is March called was told he had confused the litter my pup had come from with another and didnt in fact have the papers yet and that he expected them anytime."

I'd be asking for DNA proof of sire and dam in both these situations...somethings fishy in both instances as far as I'm concerned...but that's just me. 50 litter registrations? Wow.....

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    I've had some problems too with the hobby breeder telling me that Th papers are in the works. Its been 6 months now. The thing he didn't tell me was that they are trying to bo back 3 generations and register these dogs. I don't know how their rules work but, it sounds like I'm not gonna get the papers for the pup. I'm pretty sure the breeder will reimburse me 100 bucks, cause he's an honest integral guy and advertised them as papered purebreds. To" last2 ", I'd turn up the heat and say in a nice way"papers or pay up". You as the buyer haven't received what you paid for. The ball;s in his court.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I don't know who your breeder is....but registering a litter is easy. I've only had seven litters of pups in the twenty something years I've been doing this. When I registered them I did so within a couple days after pups were born. Heck now adays you can do it right on line at the AKC website. Even with paper forms it doesn't take that long.
    When I sold my pups they left with individual puppy registration in hand.
    The info that Karen posted from the AKC website pretty much nails it on the head.
    Keep poking them. If they are honest the registration will appear. If not well eventually they will get tired of you bugging them and then too you will have your answer.

The papers are "in a stack with about 50 others"? That's ridiculous & not just getting lax about paperwork, IMO. If the guy owns both sire & dam he has no excuse -- no waiting for signatures, check to clear, etc. Is this a puppy mill? Sorry to hear you're having such problems, but hope you do stay after this guy AND contact AKC. Yes it may be a pain, but AKC needs to be aware & I wonder how many others are getting the same run around. I do hope you get the puppy registration application soon.

Best of luck!

Karen

Default LAX isnt cutting it

in a stack with about 50 others"? That's ridiculous & not just getting lax about paperwork, IMO. If the guy owns both sire & dam he has no excuse -- no waiting for signatures, check to clear, etc. Is this a puppy mill?

3CBRS,The breeder has a large kennel almost always has a litter available, as far as a puppy mill, I was concerned with that myself until I actually saw the place, dogs are well cared for which is no doubt time consuming, as we are talking at least 2 dozen adult dogs and then the litters. But this is still no excuse as many have said registering a litter can be done online within a few minutes.

Go back 3 generations to register them? If the parents or the grandparents aren't registered you aren't getting papers at least not "A.K.C" papers.
    Roscoak, Huntress is right thought I had it bad the parents of my pup were registered so I just need to build a big enough fire under the breeders butt. In your case thinking you hit it on the head would be looking for some reimbursement if you were told that the dog was to AKC registrable.

Im in the process of putting together everything to send to the AKC and I have talked to some others people who have gotten pups from the same breeder, that are in the same boat I am, with any luck some others will do the same and maybe the breeder will get with the program or the AKC can take some measures against the breeder.
    Jesse

Default 18 month old

I picked up a yellow lab that is 18 months old, had the paperwork but never turned it in. He is from a breeder in Wasilla. Had to pay the $35 late fee for being late but I had my paperwork back in less than 7 days. No issues at all, plus I got the three generations tree as well. Very pleased.

Good luck.
    Tony

Might be a good time to let us all know who the breeder is. That way maybe others will know to stay clear.
    kodyb, as the forum doesnt allow disparging comments I emailed you with the name of the breeder. As I realized you are the president of MSGDA and the regional president for NAHRA, figure word of mouth will take care of many of the problems with the breeder
    Jesse

Got your email, and sent one back to you. Thanks for the info and keep us informed. Hope it works out for you.

kodyb, Email received, I havent bothered trying to call the breeder since I a couple of weeks ago, figure it just going to irrate me to the point of losing my temper. I sent a letter off to the AKC and will let them deal with it. If all else fails I will just show up on the breeders doorstep with my hand out looking for reimbursement. I look forward to getting my pup out to some events this year. I will keep you posted.

Thanks
    Jesse

Default PAL/ILP AKC reg. option

If it happens that you can't get the pup's registration from the breeder, there's another option available & allows you to compete in AKC hunt tests & such - AKC's Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege. The following is part of the guidelines found at http://www.akc.org/reg/ilpex.cfm

Karen
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege
    Giving all purebred dogs a chance to compete

Note: A fee of $10 was instituted, effective January 1, 2003, for Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege transfers or duplicate certificates. For more information contact PAL@akc.org.

The AKC, PAL/ILP and You
    ... (PAL/ILP), a program that allows unregistered dogs of registrable breeds to compete in AKC Performance and Companion Events, also 41 specific breeds in the FSS® Program that are eligible for Companion Events.

Purebred Alternative Listing/Indefinite Listing Privilege (PAL/ILP):
    There are various reasons why a purebred dog might not be eligible for registration. The dog may be the product of an unregistered litter, or have unregistered parents. The dog's papers may have been withheld by its breeder or lost by its owner ... The PAL/ILP program allows the dog and owner to participate in AKC events.

What AKC events may a PAL/ILP dog Participate in?
    (PAL/ILP) is designed to allow dogs to participate in AKC Companion and Performance Events. The AKC Events that a PAL/ILP dog can participate in are:
    • Agility Trials (All Breeds)
    • Earthdog Trials (Small Terriers and Dachshunds)
    • Herding Tests and Trials ( Herding Breeds, Rottweilers and Samoyeds)
    • Hunt Tests (Most Sporting Breeds and Standard Poodles)
    • Junior Showmanship (All Breeds)
    • Lure Coursing (Sighthounds)
    • Obedience Trials (All Breeds)
    • Rally Trials (All Breeds)
    • Tracking Tests (All Breeds)

Once enrolled in the PAL/ILP program, entering AKC events is as easy as with a registrable dog. The only difference is that instead of an AKC registration number, you would list the dog's PAL/ILP number on the Entry form.

How can you apply for a PAL/ILP number?
    Applications for enrollment - http://www.akc.org/pdfs/ilpform.pdf or email PAL@akc.org. When requesting a form via email please include your name and current mailing address.

Default Thanks

I need to give a BIG THANKS to Wetland Retrievers, 3CBRS, and kodyb for their concern and help in this situation. Its looking that enough pressure having been applied to the breeder, that I may finally get some resolve. Again I truly appreciate the help.
    Jesse

Finally, this debacle is over I got the AKC paperwork in the mail today. Again thanks to all those who helped.
    Jesse

Congrats!!!!

Hooray !!!!
    Well Done !!!!
    Now you only have 7 weeks before the first field event. LOL

Smile nice topic

nice topic~~~