Thread: 25-06

Default 25-06

I just picked up a 25wssm (20-06 ballistics) and noticed that Nosler has their 110gr Accubonds rated for elk, moose, etc. Has anybody used these? That seems a little light to me for that size of critter. I guess with the high weight retention and controlled expansion it could make sense, but I'm curious to see if anybody has used these in real-world applications.
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by LAK Supply View Post
    I just picked up a 25wssm (20-06 ballistics) and noticed that Nosler has their 110gr Accubonds rated for elk, moose, etc. Has anybody used these? That seems a little light to me for that size of critter. I guess with the high weight retention and controlled expansion it could make sense, but I'm curious to see if anybody has used these in real-world applications.
    A fellow co-worker kills Moose with his .223 so I am sure the 25 will get it done too, it's all about shot placement with a caliber that small on an animal that big.

Default 25-06

I grew up shooting deer and prong horns with a 25-6 and my parents hunted elk with it also, with no problems. I think it is an under appreciated caliber. The only problem I have is that unless you are a reloader the loads are very limited on this one. As far as moose I think I would like something with a little more power.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

I am a hard core 26-06 fan. For deer, goats, sheep its a great choice. I would say its a bit light for moose. No doubt it will kill them and like Hoose35 said its all about shot placement. Where problems begin is when your shot is suddenly quartering away and such. I like to have a little insurance of a bigger round.

I love the 25/06. It is a great round and very capable for smaller big game. It will absolutely kill elk and moose, though I've never taken either with a 25/06. I have no doubt that the 110 ABs will kill moose, but there better hammers in the rack for moose IMO. My favorite load for the 25/06 is 115 NBTs with a big charge of RL 25. I get 3150+ fps and it is a devastating combination on animals in the 300 pound class at any reasonable hunting range (point blank to 400 yards).

Default Missin' my 25-06 BAD

I am also a big fan of 25-06, had a Browning A-bolt in Stainless Stalker and it was the Most Amazing rifle for accuracy which I attribute to the caliber.

Lost it in a boat sinking a while back and I still find myself looking up at the 25-06 ammo in the store every time I'm there, just wishin' I still had mine.

Took several Deer, including a nice Mule Deer in Colo. And one real nice heavy Bull Caribou on the peninsula with that rifle.

Factoring in the accuracy of mine I wouldn't hesitate to hunt Elk or Moose with it. Flat Shootin' Man o man it was

It could be a nice Varmint caliber also, especially if you did your own reloading I think.

Excellent! Thanks for the info guys. I decided to do something crazy and go for an all-purpose rifle, so I decided on an AR-15 in 25wssm. According to my load data I should be able to touch 2950-3000fps with a 115gr. That's more than adequate to hunt with, shoot LR (still @1480 at this elevation at 1k yards), kill varmints with, and whatever else I want to do.

I do reload, and I know I can push this faster by another 100fps or so, but I'm looking for the best compromise between MV, accuracy, and barrel life. I have quite a few other rifles including bolt/lever/single shot/pump, along with several more AR's (.223 or various configurations and 458 SOCOM) so this won't be the only option I have. I was planning on using it for deer, antelope, and possibly elk, and was kind of surprised that Nosler had that 110gr rated for that size of game. The wssm will duplicate the 25-06 with a like barrel length, and I've been really surprised to hear what everybody I've spoken with thinks about the 25. I think I have a winner.
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Default Yep

You've got a winner. I'm almost the one guy type of guy and I've shot plenty of game with my 25-06. I like it loaded with 120g Nosler Partitions. Although 117 Balistic tips are super performers too.

It sounds like you got quite a collection. Good-on-ya.