Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow Cert. Course

Question Bow Cert. Course

Anyone know when the next bow certification course in the Anchorage/MatSu area is or where I can find information online about it?

Default Here you go

This web site should help you. Its on the states fish and game web pages.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...type=bowhunter

Alaskan100

Default Much Thanks

Much thanks. Looks like I have to wait a while.

How does thise class work ? Can you bring your own bow or is it like the Muzzle loader class . Where you use theirs ? Got the muzzle loader a few years ago no permit on that yet, Might as well try archery and donate more money

Default Yer Own Bow

I believe you take your own bow. It would be hard for them to accomodate all the different draw lengths (including youth) and both recurve and compound bows. I have a friend that recently passed with his recurve.

I was actually hoping to just take the class for now and do the shoot later. I plan to purchase a bow, but am waiting for some back issues to be resolved so I can shoot some before deciding what one to buy. However, this looks like the class and shoot are all together at the range. I guess I should be ready by this spring for the whole ordeal.

-Carnivore

You can split the class and the course if you like. You do need your own bow. There are alot people who fail because they dont shoot a fair amount before they go. Not a bad idea to take the class in the winter and the shoot in the spring or summer.

Default Classes

There are two parts to the class. A classroom session and a practical shooting section. You must pass both to get your certification.

In the classroom section you will recieve a book and some other materials. The instructors go over the material along with a Powerpoint presentation and maybe a film. There are open dicsussions as to the material after each section. Upon completion of the material there is a short test that you must pass. It is not that difficult and most questions are common sense and common archery knowledege.

The practical part consists of shooting at some 3-D targets outside under as practical conditions as possible. Targets vary depending on what is available. Over here we only have a bear and three deer. Two shots at each target. The scoring is "practical". In other words, as the arrow continued through the animal, did it hit vitals such as a quartering away shot.

You should practice with your bow. The weather may not be cooperative as the worst we ever did was 10 degrees and 20 mph winds. Success was not high so re-scheduled.

http://www.bowhunter-ed.com/index.htm

This site should help you study before the course.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Cool This is a highjack!

Pardon me, but I want to throw my 2 cents in.

I drew one of the first 3 musk ox permits given on the slope in '98. As the hunt neared my partner dropped out. Now doing a solo hunt, I wanted to use my bow within the corridor. A cert card was required due to the new law. I didn't have time to schedule a class.

I ended up talking to the governors office, the head of F&G, and many others. My position was, and still is, that if the state requires any licensing then it MUST be available on a regular basis. I argued that my 30+ years in the field was more educational than any class. I had also hunted in the first Anchorage hillside hunt where all we did was shoot one arrow at a plywood moose. I should have the right to challenge the test. Just go take the test without the class. If I passed then I should be able to shoot the dummies. and win the pretty card. That would free up a lot of volunteers time and not tie up countless Saturdays (that could be used in more enjoyable ways).
    They ( a dozen calls to 3 different offices) agreed and said a change would be made in the next year.

I ended up flying in for a solo hunt that Oct. It never changed and I never took the class. But I'm weakening.

I think if one of you silver tongued devils presented this at the right meeting we could start to change this arcane requirement.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Agree and not agree

I agree with you on some points but not all. The purpose of the class is basically for new hunters and new hunters to Alaska. Hunting in Alaska is a little different that the L48.

Yes I had 40 years of bow hunting when I moved here too. I was able to recieve a card as my home state offered the course and I had taken it there.

It does not take a bunch of Saturdays to take the course. In Valdez we do the entire course in one day. We do not do it all year long either. Usually shortly before any drawing period so that the hunter has a card for registration hunts unless enough sign up during another period. We have even done the course for one hunter only, so he could have it. It is difficult to do the practical shooting in mid-winter short days. Most hunters do not practice in the clothes they hunt in and can't hit anything at 10 degrees with a 30 mph wind. Some can't hit anything at 70 degrees.

Hunter Education Services will do everything it can to assist anyone who needs certification. Instructors have even volunteered to travel to Skagway to do a course. Courses have been run for two out-of-state hunters hunting the haul road who needed the course. The possibility of completing the classroom section on-line is a possibility in the future. (Hasn't happened yet.)

Having 30-40 years of hunting experience does not make an ethical hunter or a good hunter. The most popular day at the gun range in many eastern states is the day before deer season. Most hunters show up with a circle on a beer case, take 1-2 shots at 20 yards and call it good. They have been hunting for 30-40 years and have only hunted on Mahogany Ridge. People show up to do the practical shooting for the bow course that have not pulled a bow string in months.

The haul road is another example. If you want to see people that have no idea what they are doing, it is a good collection point.

Sweden has a far better medthod of weeding out those that can't shoot than we do. You shoot at a moving target, full size targets and such under actual conditions. No bench rest shooting.

While the system may not be perfect it is the best we have. If you have 30 years of archery hunting experience, why not become a volunteer and help spread that knowledge to kids and others that need your expertise? I can give you the contact persons name to call.

There are ways to help outside of teaching too. One of our instructors here applied for a grant and now we have free archery equipment at the junior high and teach archery in physical education classes.

Sorry for the long post. As you can probably tell, I am an Archery Instructor, Hunter Education Instructor and Bear Baiting instructor.

Wink Status Quo

I am not chewing tobacco, that is my tongue in my cheek.

I agree with you on some points but not all. The purpose of the class is basically for new hunters and new hunters to Alaska.

Of which I (and a lot of other guys) am neither.

Yes I had 40 years of bow hunting when I moved here too. I was able to receive a card as my home state offered the course and I had taken it there.

I'm sorry. It must have been awful living somewhere that had a cert card 40+ years ago.

It does not take a bunch of Saturdays to take the course. In Valdez we do the entire course in one day.

My term "countless Saturdays" is reflective of the "countless" guys that have taken the class unnecessarily.

Hunter Education Services will do everything it can to assist anyone who needs certification.

I believe that every effort was made to accommodate my needs. The fact remains that not 1 instructor could be made available during the 3 weeks that I had before the hunt.

The possibility of completing the classroom section on-line is a possibility in the future. (Hasn't happened yet.)

THERE! You are almost there, keep believing and it WILL change.

Having 30-40 years of hunting experience does not make an ethical hunter or a good hunter.

...and one day in class will?

While the system may not be perfect it is the best we have. (Until it is changed!) If you have 30 years of archery hunting experience, why not become a volunteer...

I have been a volunteer instructor (long gun safety) in the past. My job has required 3000-3500 hours a year for too many years to donate much time. That is working 6-7 days a week for the majority of the year. With other demands on time and the selfish wish to be in the field, each and every Saturday is precious to me.

I am not a serious bow hunter. I carry it because I find using it exciting and fun. More than once I have set the bow down (to the chagrin of more serious bow hunters) and killed something with my rifle.

Sorry for the long post. Ditto

As you can probably tell, I think that there are too many rules that underutilize my time. I stand by my stand. If the state requires any license, then it MUST be available on a regular basis, not when it is convenient for the agency in charge. To have the ability to take the class/test online is good enough for me. Thanks for a good, well worded reply, I enjoyed seeing the other side.

I must say, this has been fun. Lets do it again sometime. <l
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Just some information.

Only eleven states offer the distance education course for archery. There is probably a legal reason for that.

Twentyfive percent of all states require bowhunter certification.

Of the fifty states, only Alaska does not require hunter education in all areas. Looking at other states, hunter education has been required as far back as the early sixties.

Some laws are interesting. In Arkanas persons born on or after Dec. 31, 1968 must complete an approved Hunter Ed. training course unless supervised by an adult.

So someone over thirty in Arkanas may not be considered an adult.

In Colorado if born after 1949 you need hunter education.

"As you can probably tell, I think that there are too many rules that underutilize my time. I stand by my stand. If the state requires any license, then it MUST be available on a regular basis, not when it is convenient for the agency in charge. To have the ability to take the class/test online is good enough for me. "

I know our system in Alaska is not perfect. The diversity of the state disallows that. If a person in Kaltag or any rural village needed "any course", they would be hard pressed to find one. So using your logic; people that do not have DMV offices in their towns should not be required to have drivers licenses when they come to Anchorage because there is no where in their town to obtain one. Right?

Well at least that logic got me out of two tickets for no vehicle registration or license because there was no DMV in Elim Alaska and I could not get one online. ;D

ALABAMA
    Anyone born on or after Aug. 1, 1977 must complete a hunter education course prior to purchasing a hunting license.

ALASKA *
    Currently there are two areas where hunter education is mandatory. Contact the state program for further information.

ARIZONA
    10-14 who hunt big game

ARKANSAS
    Persons born on or after Dec. 31, 1968 must complete an approved Hunter Ed. training course unless supervised by an adult.

CALIFORNIA
    First-time license buyers must complete hunter education safety course.

COLORADO
    Persons born on or after Jan. 1, 1949 must complete a certified hunter education course and have certificate on his or her person while hunting.

CONNECTICUT
    First time resident license buyers and those who have not purchased a new license in the past five years.

DELAWARE
    Mandatory for persons born after Jan. 1, 1967.

FLORIDA
    Mandatory for persons born on or after June 1, 1975.

GEORGIA
    Persons born on after Jan. 1, 1961 must complete a hunter safety course prior to acquiring a license.

HAWAII
    Hunter education is mandatory for those born after Dec. 31, 1971 or first time hunters born before Jan. 1, 1972.

IDAHO
    Hunter Education: anyone born after Jan. 1, 1975 Bowhunter Education: any first-time archery permit purchaser.

ILLINOIS
    Mandatory for anyone born on after Jan. 1, 1980.

INDIANA
    All hunters born after 12/31/86 must complete hunter education course to purchase license.

IOWA
    Persons born after Jan. 1, 1967 and min. 12 years must complete a hunter safety and ethics course before purchasing a license.

KANSAS
    Born on or after 7/1/57 must complete certified hunter education course to purchase a license.

KENTUCKY
    Born 1/1/75 must have card in the field (not to purchase). Under age 10 , and license exempt are exempt from Hunter Ed.

LOUISIANA
    Born or after Sept. 1, 1969 must complete certified hunter ed. course. Under 16 years may hunt under adult supervision.

MAINE
    All first-time hunters must take hunter safety course before obtaining a hunting license.

MARYLAND
    Persons must produce a certificate of competency or a hunting license issued prior to 7/1/77 to obtain a hunting license.

MASSACHUSETTS
    Mandatory beginning July 1, 1996. Minors 15-17 years of age with written approval of parent or guardian may take firearms course.

MICHIGAN
    First-time hunters born after Jan. 1, 1960 must complete a hunter education course to obtain a hunting license.

MINNESOTA
    All persons born after December 31, 1979 may not buy a license without a Safety Certificate or an Advanced Hunter Ed. certificate.

MISSISSIPPI
    Persons born on or after Jan. 1, 1972 must provide certification of completion of a hunter ed. course before obtaining any license.

MISSOURI
    Persons born on or after Jan. 1, 1967 shall obtain a hunter ed. certificate card prior to purchase of hunting permit. Min. age 11.

MONTANA
    Youth 12-17 years of age must present a certificate to purchase any hunting license.

NEBRASKA
    Persons born on or after Jan. 1, 1977 must complete an accredited hunter ed. course to hunt with a firearm or bow and arrow.

NEVADA
    Born on or after Jan. 1, 1960 must show proof of hunter education to purchase license.

NEW HAMPSHIRE
    Minimum of 12 hours of training; minimum age to certify is 12.

NEW JERSEY
    Persons over age 10 must show certificate of course completion or prior license.

NEW MEXICO
    Any person UNDER age 18 must possess a Hunter Education Card to apply for license or draw permits and to hunt with a firearm.

NEW YORK
    For a license to hunt with firearms or bows: Hunter Education Card Certificate or previous hunting license required.

NORTH CAROLINA
    Mandatory for first-time licensees.

NORTH DAKOTA
    Persons born after Dec. 31, 1961 must complete hunter ed. except persons under 12 who hunt only with parent or guardian.

OHIO
    All first-time license buyers must take hunter education course.

OKLAHOMA
    Born on or after 1/1/72: certificate require to purchase license for deer with gun. 16+ years: certificate required for any license.

OREGON
    All hunters under age of 18 must complete 10 hours minimum instructor contact.

PENNSYLVANIA
    All hunting and fur taking license buyers must complete a hunter ed. course or present previously issued licenses.

RHODE ISLAND
    Certificate of competency from hunter safety program required for initial license.

SOUTH CAROLINA
    Persons born after June 30, 1979 must exhibit certification of completion of hunter education program before obtaining a license.

SOUTH DAKOTA
    Mandatory for all hunters age 12-16. Persons who are 12 after Sep. 1 may hunt in any season which begins Sept. 1 or later.

TENNESSEE
    Born on or after 1/1/69 must show completion of hunter education course.

TEXAS
    Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete a Hunter Education Training Course. Minimum age of certification is 12 years and cost is $15.

If you were born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, and you are:

* under 12 years of age, you must be accompanied*.
    * age 12 through 16, you must successfully complete a hunter education course, or you must be accompanied*.
    * age 17 and over, you must successfully complete a hunter education course; or purchase a Hunter Education Deferral, and you must be accompanied*.

*Accompanied means: By a person who is at least 17, who is licensed to hunt in Texas, who has passed hunter education or is exempt (born before Sept. 2, 1971), and you must be within normal voice control. Proof of certification or deferral is required to be on your person while hunting.

UTAH
    Any person born after Dec. 31, 1965 must complete a hunter education course before purchasing a hunting license.

VERMONT
    First time hunting license buyers must complete an approved hunter safety course.

VIRGINIA
    All persons 12-15 years of age and all persons 16 and over who have never been issued a hunting license must be certified.

WASHINGTON
    Persons under age 18 must show certification of completion of hunter education course.

WEST VIRGINIA
    Persons born on or after Jan. 1, 1975 must complete certified hunter education course.

WISCONSIN
    Persons born on or after 1/1/73 must complete certified hunter education course.

WYOMING
    Persons born on or after 1/1/66 must have hunter education certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    I drew one of the first 3 musk ox permits given on the slope in '98. As the hunt neared my partner dropped out. Now doing a solo hunt, I wanted to use my bow within the corridor. A cert card was required due to the new law. I didn't have time to schedule a class.
    I thought that you could use a bow (or any primative weapon, including a crossbow) in a regular rifle hunt season/area without needing a bow certificate as long as you followed the requirements for archery equipment (draw weight, broadhead weight, arrow length, etc...). Was this not originally a rifle hunt? What stopped you from using your bow?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default Haul Road Corridor

He decided to hunt within the archery only area of the Haul Road Corridor which is archery only. So then, he would need the certification.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 01-09-2007 at 07:46. Reason: darn fingers sticking

So... he was going to hunt in a rifle area, then made a choice to hunt in a bow only area but he wasn't certified. So he wanted to be granted a special exception because of his poor planning? I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Thumbs up Rod, you don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    So... he was going to hunt in a rifle area, then made a choice to hunt in a bow only area but he wasn't certified. So he wanted to be granted a special exception because of his poor planning? I don't get it.
    Dude, way to change the tone of a good hijacking. I didn't ask for a special exception, I asked to make the required certification available in a reasonable time frame.
    Poor planning? If you call my partners wife having a miscarrage poor planning on my part, then so be it. A winter hunt on the slope takes a lot of planning. We spent months planning every detail. I was trying to salvage a hunt. I did stick to the original plan of flying in to a remote site, except I spent 2 weeks on a solo hunt with temps going to minus 60į. Living in a tent. Care to try that? Didn't think so.

Daveinthebush "So using your logic; people that do not have DMV offices in their towns should not be required to have drivers licenses when they come to Anchorage because there is no where in their town to obtain one. Right?"

You make my case. DMV is open 5 days a week once they get to Anchorage. I was open to travel anywhere from Homer to Fairbanks to get the cert card. The law requiring it for the corridor was a brand new law at the time and they had not one instructor available. If all I had to do was wait for the office to open, go take a written test and possibly a skill test then we would not be having this conversation.
    Obviously, I stand alone here. That is OK, I am used to it. Change is made by people willing to strike out from the norm.
    Striking out here, boss. <l
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Lightbulb FWIW and a hijack of the hijack

"I spent 2 weeks on a solo hunt with temps going to minus 60į. Living in a tent. Care to try that? Didn't think so."

=>Wow! Have you thought about writing a book about this? (No kidding).

Daveinthebush "So using your logic; people that do not have DMV offices in their towns should not be required to have drivers licenses when they come to Anchorage because there is no where in their town to obtain one. Right?"

=> Wouldn't this fall under the "hardship" concept of the law and allow for a temporary exemption until such a time that the requirements could reasonably be fulfilled?

You make my case. DMV is open 5 days a week once they get to Anchorage. I was open to travel anywhere from Homer to Fairbanks to get the cert card. The law requiring it for the corridor was a brand new law at the time and they had not one instructor available. If all I had to do was wait for the office to open, go take a written test and possibly a skill test then we would not be having this conversation.
    Obviously, I stand alone here. That is OK, I am used to it. Change is made by people willing to strike out from the norm.
    Striking out here, boss. <l

=> You're not alone. If a gov't is going to require a test of one's skills and abilities in order for that person to be legally judged as qualified to perform the objective he wishes to, then the gov't should make said test available at a reasonable time frame throughout the year. To this end, why doesn't ADF&G certify all archery dealers at no cost as instructors who can then give tests as needed? Say, whenever a customer needs it or when enough customers or potential customers sign up to fill a class.

=> Hijack: Daveinthebush: what's the State's take on someone with both physical and nerve damage using a crossbow as he can't pull and hold a regular bow?

And, taking a look at the NBEF's Online Bowhunting Education Class web site, how much work would be needed to port the AK classroom portion to the web? In other words, how much different is it than the other states' courses that are already there?

Default Whow!

I wish I could list multiple quotes here to answer everything.

"Daveinthebush "So using your logic; people that do not have DMV offices in their towns should not be required to have drivers licenses when they come to Anchorage because there is no where in their town to obtain one. Right?"

Nope. Just trying to point out that all services are not going to be equal in the state because of the size and diversity of the state. I was trying to make a point to the quote below. And yes, in some towns items like vehicle registration and insurance are not required because of their location. I lived here 6 months before I ever made it to Anchorage for a weekend. I finally got a license after 18 months when I moved out of the bush. No DMV in Elim, Shaktoolik or Nulato and no online option.

"you can probably tell, I think that there are too many rules that underutilize my time. I stand by my stand. If the state requires any license, then it MUST be available on a regular basis, not when it is convenient for the agency in charge. To have the ability to take the class/test online is good enough for me. Thanks for a good, well worded reply, I enjoyed seeing the other side."

"If all I had to do was wait for the office to open, go take a written test and possibly a skill test then we would not be having this conversation."

While this is true, there are not many offices that have a 30 yard outdoor archery range near them with targets set up. You can't leave the targets set up all the time or they would be stolen or as a set we had over here, subject to bear attack. (seriously) All of the instructors are volunteers. So if you did take the skills test and fail, that means you would have to probably go back and take the couse. Another delay for a person. Right? Since the course takes about 5-6 hours, that means returning on a different day and starting from scratch.

"To this end, why doesn't ADF&G certify all archery dealers at no cost as instructors who can then give tests as needed? Say, whenever a customer needs it or when enough customers or potential customers sign up to fill a class."

It costs nothing but time to become an instructor so anyone can become one. Instructors are not paid either. So any archery shop owner could provide instruction (if certified) when they have enough for a class provided they have an outside course for the practical section. And, provided they had a TV/VCR and are willing to close down for a day to do the course.

"Daveinthebush: what's the State's take on someone with both physical and nerve damage using a crossbow as he can't pull and hold a regular bow?"

I have never been into crossbows or dealt with the issue . If you really want an answer I will find out for you. Shoot me a PM and I will have an answer back to you within 48 hours probably.

"And, taking a look at the NBEF's Online Bowhunting Education Class web site, how much work would be needed to port the AK classroom portion to the web? In other words, how much different is it than the other states' courses that are already there?"

That is the reason I used the anology of the Drivers License. How do you know if the test was taken online, who actually took the test and if they had the answers first. I feel that it is a legal issue more than a "possibility" issue.

"Obviously, I stand alone here. That is OK, I am used to it. Change is made by people willing to strike out from the norm."

NO, If I feel that something is wrong I will fight for change too. Can't remember how many letters I wrote when the Bradey Bill was being pushed. One of the reasons I became an instructor was because I did not know all the laws. Still don't... but I have gained a lot of knowledge and met a lot of nice people.

Who said: (enquote) A little rebellion is good now and then.

Default daveinthebush: more

Couldn't the course be put up on the web, but the actual test taken with a certified instructor at a date when they had scheduled a class date, thereby cutting down the 5-6 hours to written test time + shooting time? Unless the applicant failed the written test, then a full course could be run on said date for him/her and any others who may or may not have taken a prelim, thus some needing the full course anyways. At least there would be the potential of reducing a busy person's in-class time. This could also be invaluable to out-of-staters seeking AK bow hunting certs without burning a full day in the classroom.

As far as the archery dealers having to shut down to run the course: I've been to some excellent in-store seminars that were run in a separate closed room while the business was open. This led to a lot of sales for the store as they made sure they had the items being used in the seminars in-stock. So, an astute businessman or woman could set up a course to run while the business was open with a hired hand or spouse, etc, either running the course or the business. Additionally, when room, fee payments (not applicable, in this case) & time constraints/restrictions/other parameters allowed, interested walk-in traffic was allowed to join in and they expanded their knowledge as well and the store owner expanded his sales over and above that which the walk-ins originally came for.

PM on it's way re: crossbows for injured omnivores.

Default Lots of possibilites.

There is a meeting in March for the instructors in the state. I am more than willing to present some of these issues if I have the opportunity.

There are so many "if's" or "scenarios" that could happen with online course situations. I would strongly suggest to anyone to do the online course before going to take the course. Better to be prepared than not.

Codeofthewest:

I have not seen any shops in my day that had enough room to teach the course. And archery shops are the first thing I look when I move to a new community. We are lucky over here that the school bus contractor has a large plowed lot and he lets us set the targets up in the yard. Otherwise, in Valdez, there would be no way to do the course from November to April because of our annual 500+ inches of snow.

Deleted by author -- just realized that NH does not have an online bowhunter option, only basic firearms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast