Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Wolves off the Dalton Hwy?

Default Shooting Wolves off the Dalton Hwy?

Forgive me, as this is only my first post here. I often lurk, but not being from Alaska, I feel a little inferior to post.

I have a question. Can you shoot wolves off the Dalton Hwy with a firearm? If not, then could you, if you have a Trapper's licence? Would that make it legal? The animal would not be in a trap just hunted.

Thanks.

Exclamation fed's and state see it differnt...

some here have,is there a loop hole,kinda......
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Not within the 5 mile corridor. Regardless of reason, discharging a firearm within the 5-mile highway corridor is illegal.

I almost arrowed one in Atigun Pass a few years ago. If it were legal with a firearm, it would have been over in 10 seconds. After a 20 minute stalk, though, he was just out of bow range when he spooked.

It is legal to trap with a firearm within the five mile corridor.

This fella did, so I was confused. Still am.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...of#Post3858832

Legal method of trapping is with a firearm.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I was under the assumption that you could use a firearm to kill an animal in your trap, I didn't know you could carry a gun while out trapping and just kill an animal that is free, but then again I don't trap so I don't know the rules, like I said I just assumed, but with that being said, what makes it ok to kill an animal with a firearm just because you have some traps set in the area? As far as wolves go, I don't really care that people can do this, I just don't understand this rule

the way i understand the regs the animal has to be in a trap to shoot it that would also include an animal that pulled the trap hold free.

Hoose, Scotty...

You do not need to be "trapping" with traps to be trapping with a firearm. For instance, if you are out hunting (with only a hunting license) and come across two fox, you can only take those two fox under your HUNTING license. If you have a trapping license, you can take (with a firearm) the trapping limit, whatever it is for that area and time of year.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Hoose, Scotty...

You do not need to be "trapping" with traps to be trapping with a firearm. For instance, if you are out hunting (with only a hunting license) and come across two fox, you can only take those two fox under your HUNTING license. If you have a trapping license, you can take (with a firearm) the trapping limit, whatever it is for that area and time of year.
    That to me seems so silly, going after an animal with a gun or bow is hunting, regardless of what liscense you have, that would be like catching a bull moose with a snare and claim it is ok because you have a hunting liscense, well maybe you can actually do that, as screwed up as the rules seem to be, Like I said before, I don't care, it doesn't bother me that a guy can shoot an animal while trapping, just seems pretty funny

I also believe it is legal to kill any fur bearing animal with a firearm within the corridor

It's not "funny" at all. This stems from the day when hunters and trappers in Alaska had more common sense than now!!
    The idea was to allow trappers out checking traps to also harvest furbearers with their firearm if they saw one. A trapper does not need a hunting license to "trap". Since back in the day, many trappers were out in the boonies, this reg allowed them to take furbearers legally with a gun.
    A firearm is a legal method to take furbearers with a trapping license, during trapping season.
    Not sure about the dalton. No motorized off road use along the corridor, but a guy could probably walk off the road and take furbearers with a gun. Wolves are furbearers during trapping season.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    It's not "funny" at all. This stems from the day when hunters and trappers in Alaska had more common sense than now!!
    The idea was to allow trappers out checking traps to also harvest furbearers with their firearm if they saw one. A trapper does not need a hunting license to "trap". Since back in the day, many trappers were out in the boonies, this reg allowed them to take furbearers legally with a gun.
    A firearm is a legal method to take furbearers with a trapping license, during trapping season.
    Not sure about the dalton. No motorized off road use along the corridor, but a guy could probably walk off the road and take furbearers with a gun. Wolves are furbearers during trapping season.

I think, I'm going to need an aspirin!

you got plenty of wolves in montana, do the ranchers there a favor and smoke a few of em..... wolves are rare to see in my opinion, especially along a road, any time of year...... i believe the simple way to put this for you is , yes you can? shoot fur bearers during trapping season only along the dalton highway: take a deep breath and a stiff drink, we'll make sense of this together okay buddy?

Release Lake Trout

Whoops! My mistake, folks. Guess I got this one wrong. Still, that wolf would have been safe, as wolf trapping wasn't open in August when I almost got within bow range. Actually, I was in bow range, but he was trotting and I wasn't comfortable with the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    An important exception is beavers (and otters?) in most units.

Default shooting rifles along the corridor

The only discharge of firearms along the dalton hwy corridor are the local residents of Wiseman that hunt for subsistence from what I was told. I heard shots fired while Moose hunting a few years ago up there, the folks at Coldfoot didn't seem to care and stated that, and the troopers were up north flying in their cub checking Sheep/caribou hunters.

I can assure you that though it is a loop hole that many dont know about , its is most certainly legal. I have the troopers name and info that confirmed this as well as admitted to having done it many times over the years. Some of the new troopers who patrol that area sometimes freak out and have to make calls back to who knows who to clarify the legality when they find a guy doing it. The above post about trappers shooting furbearers while out and about and not having a hunting license but rather a trapping license is where I believe it stems from. Needless to say, one less sheep eater is dead!

Oh .....and the link above with pics was posted by me.

I got my info from my brother that went to lunch with his buddy that works at adf&g in the valley, he even had him ask his boss for reassurance and came back and said it was legal to shoot fur bearing animals along the dalton hwy with a firearm

Exclamation Like i said i my post...

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Legal method of trapping is with a firearm.
    .........You do not need to be "trapping" with traps to be trapping with a firearm. For instance, if you are out hunting (with only a hunting license) and come across two fox, you can only take those two fox under your HUNTING license. If you have a trapping license, you can take (with a firearm) the trapping limit, whatever it is for that area and time of year. !!!!!!! u got her rite, lady... the rest of u learn!. u can trap and take game... u can not "trap a moose etc"................... com-on,have are any of u going to come up and say "i did this"... best,to leave the sleeping dog lie....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast