Thread: Fishing Juneau or Ketchikan 2nd week of September 2010

Default Fishing Juneau or Ketchikan 2nd week of September 2010

I am on a Cruise and ports that I would have a chance to fish are Juneau or Ketchikan. Anyone know how the salt/river fishing for salmon should be like at that time?

Thanks

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Calfisher View Post
    I am on a Cruise and ports that I would have a chance to fish are Juneau or Ketchikan. Anyone know how the salt/river fishing for salmon should be like at that time?

Thanks

Cal

Silvers will be in thick in Juneau that time of year....Both streams and salt will fare nicely..

Default What OneLunG Said

Cal - There should be no shortage of silvers around Juneau during that time of the season. Historically the wild silver runs that pass through this area on the way to the Chilkat and Taku Rivers and some of the smaller systems are on the build from mid-August until early October. Our weather ought to still be agreeable during the second week of Sept. (it can get snotty by Equinox in the third week of the month).

Your operator may be able to scrounge you up a halibut, too. These will be tapering off as they slide back out toward deeper waters but we do OK on them with a little imagination until we haul the boat at the end of Sept. Good luck. ;-]

Hopefully DIPAC will have a strong run this year. The last couple have been kind of week.

Bring a medium wt. casting/spinning set up and you can fish on the cheap at the hatchery. Charter fishing for silvers should be good to very good.

PM me the week before you arrive and I can give you a report. I keep tabx on the action daily.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Hopefully DIPAC will have a strong run this year. The last couple have been kind of week.

Bring a medium wt. casting/spinning set up and you can fish on the cheap at the hatchery. Charter fishing for silvers should be good to very good.

PM me the week before you arrive and I can give you a report. I keep tabx on the action daily.
    Isn't this year supposed to be the first return from the new coho brood stock at DIPAC? Hopefully we'll get some bigger fish.
    Nice Marmot.

Default Would be nice..

That would be nice. Last year's fish were pretty pathetic at DIPAC.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    That would be nice. Last year's fish were pretty pathetic at DIPAC.
    LOL...I know. Seems like they're getting smaller every year

Oh, and stop showing people my secret hole Boater
    Nice Marmot.

Ketchikan should have real good Coho fishing around that time. The peak of our coho run is the usually around the middle of Sept., and there are a large number of fish heading to a hatchery just north of Ketchikan. Good luck!