Thread: slippery conditions

Default slippery conditions

I was out the other week and took a pretty bad fall while searching for some moose. It made me start to think about investing in some spiked shoes, but they seem to be a little on the expensive side for me. A buddy of mine was telling me about these slip on threads that go over a regular shoe called Yaktrax. I have researched them a little bit, but im just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them.

They are OK, not really a fan of slip on traction aids. I use 3/8 inch sheet metal screws in my boots. Just screw them into the sole in several of the raised lugs and your good to go for several weeks. They have to be swapped out from time to time, you'll know when, but they work great and you'll never forget them at home.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Stabilicers...

Yak Trax help, but don't really bite into the ice. For me, they're best suited to walking across the parking lot or around city streets.

For extended walking, Stabilicers work...
    http://www.rei.com/category/12221603
    Much better traction for walking on any uneven or sloping ice.

Cheaper option, nearly as good: I put some 3/8" hex head screws into the bottoms of a pair of old running shoes for my wife, which she's found effective for several years.

For running: A spendier option (avail at Skinny Raven, Anchorage), but the best option I've tried is these - studded tires for your feet - and truly safe enough to run outdoors in: http://www.icebug.se/ProductList.aspx?m=24

Good luck.

I have worn these for years. On my firefighting boots and on my personal work boots. No real issues with them slipping and they are well constructed. You can buy them at Eagle Safety.

http://www.amazon.com/32-North%C2%AE...=pd_sbs_shoe_1
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thumbs up Check into these...

Microspikes I think fit what you're looking for...way more bite than yaktraks...and still slip on...pretty much an in between of the yaktraks and crampons.

AZinAK

Default Ditto

I've had the yaktrax for a few years but they stay packed away now.

They don't grip ice at all unless it's rough.

Dont waist your $$
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

The Kahtoola microspikes work well and fit light hikers as well as Kenetrek pack boots at my 10.5 size. They are durable and stay on well. Only problem is the wife stole mine because she said her Yaktracks are junk. If you don't need full crampons get the microspikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    They are OK, not really a fan of slip on traction aids. I use 3/8 inch sheet metal screws in my boots. Just screw them into the sole in several of the raised lugs and your good to go for several weeks. They have to be swapped out from time to time, you'll know when, but they work great and you'll never forget them at home.
    My fist vote would be for the above (sheet metal screws). If that is not an option, I second the Kahtoola microspikes - I keep a set in my truck and use them frequently (especially since my boots are in a dire need for new soles )

My preference is the Stabilicers. I also recommend buying something that can be easily removed when going in stores and such, as most of these traction aids are dangerous on these hard floores.

A friend of mine bought a pair of microspikes last year to handle the slippery vegetation on a goat hunt, and they worked fantastic... he loved them. Stayed on his feet well and really improved traction.

I have a pair of petzl 6-point crampons I usually turn to if things get slick, but admit they're a bit overkill for many situations. Not easy to take on and off in a hurry, but man do they bite in snow, ice, and wet veg.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.