Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 340Wby how it looks to the human eye and the deer

Default My 340Wby how it looks to the human eye and the deer

I took so pictures to show how my rifle looks in nature to the human eye then took pictures under different lighting conditions to show how it appears to the deer.

To the human eye:

Now to the deer's eye:

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here is is in a green John boat:

Now once again to against natural back ground:
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hopefully will have some range reports soon. Tomorrow I will be working with the 250gr Accubond and Factory 250gr Partitions and some others.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here are a few more pictures as humans see the rifle against a natural back ground.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BT, It appears to me that deer can not appreciate it's full beauty the way we can

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    BT, It appears to me that deer can not appreciate it's full beauty the way we can
    Yes, that seems to be the case, but I don't want them to see like I can either
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default BearTooth

The critters are only supposed to be seeing the tiny hole end not the full length - perhaps you are napping too much???
    Nice Gun, what scope is on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    The critters are only supposed to be seeing the tiny hole end not the full length - perhaps you are napping too much???
    Nice Gun, what scope is on it?
    Smokey, I have been caught many times by animals while napping, I am sure of that. It is a 3-9x40mm Zeiss Conquest with a #4 reticle.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Beartooth

How do you like the scope?
    I have never had one - Leupolds mainly - may have to have some kind of bolt 308 and a conquest would look good sitting on it for sure....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    How do you like the scope?
    I have never had one - Leupolds mainly - may have to have some kind of bolt 308 and a conquest would look good sitting on it for sure....
    I use lots of Leupolds and like them very much especially the VX-III and my favorite Leupold scopes are the VX-III 2.5-8x40mm and the VX-III 1.5-5x20mm. Now that said I really like Zeiss Conquest. I like the reticle in the first focal plain for different reasons but most of all for it's toughness when it comes to recoil. I like the #4 reticle because it lets me see in dark timber real easy and I still can hit something small like a coyote way off. Both scopes makes are great scope for the field in my opinion but for the money I seem to think you get more with the Zeiss.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here is my #4 reticle, this is the best I could do holding the rifle in one hand and operating the camera in the other.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Nice Rifle!

So, did you send the rifle to Krieger to have the barrel installed? Of how did you go about it?

I love them McMillans!

Default Mine's Better Than Your's

340, We gotta go shooting some time I think my 340's got the same paint on it. Unfortunately for you mine has departed from the unreliable push feed & box trigger design and is based on a Model 70, ah perfection, or as I call it the Ultimate Alaskan Rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    So, did you send the rifle to Krieger to have the barrel installed? Of how did you go about it?

I love them McMillans!
    No, my barrel was on a brand new 340Wby that a guy bought from a gun store going out of business. He got it 500.00 cheaper than if he bought a Mark V anywhere else. He did not want a 340Wby but a 300Wby. So, my smith took the brand new 340Wby barrel off his Mark V and rebarreled his with a 300Wby barrel and put the unfired 340wby on my German Mark V receiver. That is how I ended up with that barrel.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Where is that gun now?

That's some cool coloring on that gun, for sure

Man, Beartooth you are sooo in love with that gun... don't lay that thing down in the woods and turn around now....

Looks good, I was also hoping for pics of the little hole in the end or in your case "Fairly Large Hole" in the end pointing at my rib cage though

Probably not PC on a Safe Hunting Site tho, "Hey watch where your pointin' that thing there!"

I have the same Zeiss (well, 2.5-8x) and am Likin' It

hap

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    No, my barrel was on a brand new 340Wby that a guy bought from a gun store going out of business. He got it 500.00 cheaper than if he bought a Mark V anywhere else. He did not want a 340Wby but a 300Wby. So, my smith took the brand new 340Wby barrel off his Mark V and rebarreled his with a 300Wby barrel and put the unfired 340wby on my German Mark V receiver. That is how I ended up with that barrel.
    Beartooth
    I continue to fail to understand why you would continue to blatantly confuse people with the Krieger claim. Several have pointed out the difference and you clearly know it, yet maintain an incorrect claim...
    art

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Beartooth
    I continue to fail to understand why you would continue to blatantly confuse people with the Krieger claim. Several have pointed out the difference and you clearly know it, yet maintain an incorrect claim...
    art
    You will get over it in time, just be patient.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    You will get over it in time, just be patient.
    That barrel of yours is just a redheaded step child

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    That barrel of yours is just a redheaded step child
    MontanaRifleman, AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH . Wait till you see HOW THIS REDHEADED STEP CHILD SHOOTS, when I post my load work today that I will post on a new thread in just a little bit.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Waiting with baited breath

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast