Thread: 45 Colt Levergun Help

Default 45 Colt Levergun Help

i am looking to buy a 45 colt lever gun for plinking, possibly hunting deer and bear in PWS and just because of the cool factor. i have a 45 revolver so having the same caliber will be nice. i have been doing a bit of reading on the internet on different loads and using them in the different lever guns and was hoping someone has some hands on advice for the different guns. i looked at the puma 92 and i guess it is made by rossi now, the cimmaron 1892 which was very slick. i read that the marlin is a great gun. i will probably load up some rounds for hunting and read that the 1892 especially the rossi 92 will take a lot higher pressures than let say the 94. i also read that you can load some great loads for the 94 so that might not be the issue. i also read that when you load some of the bigger bullets like 300 wide flat tips some of guns won't cycle them but it didn't say which ones will and won't. also i am considering a stainless model for being around the saltwater and don't know who all offers that. if anyone has one of these and tried using the different loads and bullets and have any advice it would be great. thanks

The older Puma that shot the casual was built by Rossi.The new ones are built in Italy and many say not as nice and not chambered in 454. One thing to look at is how long a round the gun will chamber and for sure if you hand load some of the longer bullets or second crimp groove ammo. If it will chamber your reloads any of the guns you are looking at should do with finding one most important

It's not Puma anymore, Rossi does not own the Puma name but they look better made now than when they were Puma to my eye. I want one!
    Take a look
    M92 blue
    M92 stanless
    M92 for scope

The Winchester is great if you can find one, I have a 357 as well as 2 Rossi M92s in 357.
    Marlin is also good but I prefer the Winchesters or copies like the Rossi for the top eject action. I have had many Marlins in 44 and one in 45 and there is not a thing wrong with them, I just grew up on Winchester levers and love their action. There is also Henry Arms, Cimarron, Uberti, and some others out there in 45 Colt . . . Uberty and Cimarron are very top notch copies worth the bucks.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Henry

I got my dad a Henry Golden Boy a few years ago and he loves it. Im not sure if you can shoot hot loads in it. But it sure is fun to shoot, big slow bullets.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    I got my dad a Henry Golden Boy a few years ago and he loves it. Im not sure if you can shoot hot loads in it. But it sure is fun to shoot, big slow bullets.
    I have often wondered how strong the Golden Boys are. I'm sure the 4140 barrels are fine but I don't know how strong the action lockup is, I can't see in there and the shops frown on me disassembling them for some reason.

I love my little H001 22 though, fun little tack driver and made in the good ole USA.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

i checked out a cimmeron at sportsmans and it was nice. very smooth action and looked great with the case hardened frame. i'm not sure if the 800 they wanted for that one is better than 500 for a m92 stainless (plus shipping of course) any thoughts?

kobuk,

If you can find one of the older Rossi/Pumas chambered in 454 Casull, it will chamber and fire any of the longest 45 colt loads, plus 454 ammo. I had one and really liked it, but traded it for a very good mountain horse. I still have one in 480 Ruger.

Thumbs up Marlin

I have an older Marlin 1894 Cowboy that I'm pretty fond of. I haven't shot it a whole lot, but what I have I've found it to be pretty enjoyable.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Well I would say that depends on you and what your application for it will be. For me it would be a using gun so stainless 454 M92 for the reasons Tim said. If I was big into cowboy action shooting it would be Uberti and probably in 44-40.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sundles View Post
    kobuk,

If you can find one of the older Rossi/Pumas chambered in 454 Casull, it will chamber and fire any of the longest 45 colt loads, plus 454 ammo. I had one and really liked it, but traded it for a very good mountain horse. I still have one in 480 Ruger.
    tim
    do you think the current model m92 will cycle the same as the older puma 92s. were there any changes made to the newer models that you know of? i did see that the m92 comes with a wood stock on the stainless instead of synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sundles View Post
    kobuk,

I picked up one of 480's a couple of years ago and it will be one of the guns I will not let go of.

Ps. Oh yeah, I shoot BB in it.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 03-05-2010 at 13:21. Reason: added line

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    tim
    do you think the current model m92 will cycle the same as the older puma 92s. were there any changes made to the newer models that you know of? i did see that the m92 comes with a wood stock on the stainless instead of synthetic.

It just so happens I have a new in the box .454 Stainless with synthetic stock unfired for 500.00 Rifle for sale. I have had for a few years and will not use, if you are interested PM me. Puma M-92. I have been to sick to mess with this rifle.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default steve young for questions

Kobuk,
    I have been searching for a used 92 in .357 forever.
    Instead of keeping my money in the treasonist bank at .4%, I jerked it out and spent 474 (out the door) of it on a 16" carbine by puma. I guess technically its made by LSI.
    I can't see like I used to and hate scopes, so have put peeps on everything I own.
    Thinking I would need to drill and tap for a FP reciever sight I searched the web and found Steve.
    He has made a nice little peep that takes the place of the safety.
    I called the number and spoke to him over the phone. I ordered a metal follower instead of that plastic thing you see.
    My son was cycling the lever at waist height and was getting cracked in the head by the spent casings (he's 6'3").
    I mentioned this to Steve and he is sending me a smaller dia, ejector spring also.
    In short, I'm sure this guy knows his bussiness. If you have any doubts or questions as to what to expect or what the capabilities of the gun might be, give him and call. He is only in the shop during certain hours.
    Concerning the Cimmeron, I had one in my hand. In terms of fit and finish it is for sure superior, and alot more money. This particular weapon had been returned because it would not feed any .38 special, and only lighter .357 loads. Not sure if this would be normal for the company, just the case with the one I looked at.
    This puma will feed anything I got in the safe with the exeption of flush wadcutters( I had to try) everything else is butter smooth.

this is his link.
    stevesgunz.com

Default Marlin

Hi, I've been a Marlin fan forever. The actions are clean and easy to disassemble: one screw and the action comes apart. Nice if you need to repair at the range quickly. Handy in Cowboy Action. The others are very nice though. The Golden Boys are sharp.

Default pm sent

Big Al
    i sent you a pm. thanks
    kobuk

canyoncastle,
    thanks for the info, i'll check his sight out now.

I have the LSI Puma in 454. It has cycled everything I have fed it wiothout a hitch from 45Colts to 320gr 454s. I replaced the silly safety with a peep and will be passing this on to one of my grandkids. My wife even likes it with the 45Colt loads. Cycles smooth and the fit and finish are good.

I too have a Puma 92 stainless 454. I was looking for a 45 Colt and someone here on the forums told me about the Puma. I love that little carbine. 335gr 454 at 1950fps with 10 in the tube is some serious firepower. It shoots everything well. I'd like to get my hands on a synthetic stock like BigAl says he has. If I didn't own one already I'd buy his.

I have answered questions by PM and want to thank you fellows that responded to my offer.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

The rifle has been sold, again I want to thank you for all that have shown interest in this rifle.

Default Buy the...

Marlin. Don't look back.