Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Monitor Heaters (Good? Bad?)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Monitor Heaters (Good? Bad?)

    I'm looking at buying a house and some have monitor heaters in them. I've heard its an inefficient way to heat a home. The houses I've looked at have access to natural gas, its just not hooked up to that particular house. what do you all think about monitor heaters? How much do you pay to heat your house with them? (sq ft)

  2. #2
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Valdez, Alaska

    Default 30x30

    My house is 30 x 30 and the monitor heats the shole place. I use wood as much as possible. The Monitor has been there 8 years and not one problem except air in the line or water.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  3. #3

    Thumbs up

    Good. You could expect to heat a house for a very long time, before you could hope to recoup the cost of conversion. And...the way the Natural Gas guys are gouching their customers, threat of supplies running low and production waning, I don't think it would be a wise investment. Even if a Booolit Line goes in, it will not reach your location in your lifetime. Cheap gas is no more. Look around you. Are you not surrounded by forest? Does it not make sense to burn that forest, a little at a time, in a woodstove?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Kodiak, Ak

    Default I love the Toyos

    I have a moderate size Toyo heater and On-Demand waterheater using #1 fuel and primarily wood all winter and the savings from an old boiler and baseboard system has been MAJOR (about 70% less than the old system)

    I love those Toyo heaters and have had no problems going on six years. Small house, 1500 ft and I am Big on keeping them off by using wood 24/7 Oct to May but my cost is around 25-30gal/mo when just the water heater is working and about same in summer with no wood needed

    This is Kodiak tho, not so hard to heat here

  5. #5
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006


    I have two heating my house. One of them is 15yrs old, the other is 10. All told I have about $300 in repairs into each of them over there life. Not bad at all. One will heat my house down comfortably down to 0F, and will keep the house above freezing down to -50F. That makes me comfortable knowing that if one croaks I have a little time to get it fixed. Since the dealer here locally is excellent, I can get a loaner into place in under two hours if I do it myself.

    Last year I burned 700 gallons of heating fuel to heat my 2400 sqft house. This year it's been mild and I might be less than 575 gallons. I have a pretty efficient house to heat, so your mileage may very. One of my employees heats his even more efficient 1800 sqft house with less than 450 gallons a year.

    Monitor heaters are as efficient as any other forced air furnace or boiler. Where they have issues is heat distribution. It is a unit heater with a fan. If the moving air can't get into a room because the door is closed, the room will be cooler than the other rooms. It's just like wood heat in this case. Forced air, baseboard, or in-floor generally heat each room individually.

    Not less effiecient, just different.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Palmer, AK

    Default Regular Heat Source

    It's my regular heat source since I'm at work most of the day & cannot tend the fire. Less for me to worry about. I've got a Toyo Laser 73 heating a 1200 SF house. Even with the drafts in half the house, it'll keep the house at 64*F when it's -40*F outside. Burns approximately 2 gallons per day when it's colder than -20; and approximately 1.5 gpd between -20 to +20. For the piece of mind that it provides, it's worth the cost.

    I do have a wood stove as a backup should the power go out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Eagle River

    Thumbs up

    I have one in my 600 sq ft house in Wasilla. It's hooked up to natural gas. Last winter during the coldest months the largest bill was $60 for jan. This winters average has been around $30-40/mo. Had thought about putting in a wood stove back when I was living in it but figured it really wasn't worth the trouble. Plus it would have really taken up alot of extra space. Am really glad I didn't now that It's rented out.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts