Thread: 180gr Barnes MRX recipes for .300 win mag

Default 180gr Barnes MRX recipes for .300 win mag

Just going back to the drawing board on these bullets, they seem to be doing better when I push them faster. Anybody got a favorite powder or recipe for .300 win mag?
    River Runnin

I've used the MRX in a buddies 300RUM with average results. Those bullets are expensive and more testing on this end would have been nice but he was happy with what he got.

I also worked up a load in my cousins 300WM back in December. I tested RL-17, RL-22 and H4381sc. The RL-17 was a clear winner with Nosler Ballistic Tips in 180gr.

Based on that I would try the RL-17 in your application. My starting load was 66.6gr and went up in .7gr increments until I reached 70.8gr. 68.7gr was the sweet spot and the velocity was 3025fps, pretty fast for a 300WM and no signs of pressure.

Default Tipped TSX

My Rem 700 BDL in 300 win likes the 180g ttsx with a near max load of RL22 from the Barnes manual. Probably a bit different than the MRX. The TTSX made two really nice wounds in Moose this year. Completely blew apart a vertabrae from a spine shot, and the other a perfect heart/lung and through the ball of the front shoulder. I looked into the MRX and could not see the advantages. I never bought any to try though. I hope they shoot well for you.