Thread: Carried-104 - Increase the bag limit for caribou in Unit 26B

Default Carried-104 - Increase the bag limit for caribou in Unit 26B

Can somebody fill me in a little more on this action by the board of game? Is this in the archery area?

*edit*

link to current board of game actions...

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...10/roadmap.php

Wow, looking at the proposal, I guess we just jumped from a 2 caribou limit to a 5 caribou limit in 26B and we can take cows starting September 1st. I didn't hear about the herd growth over the last few years.

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...terior2010.pdf

The Central Arctic Caribou herd has grown substantially from 32,000 caribou in 2002 to 67,000 caribou in 2008 and additional hunting opportunity is warranted. Harvest pressure is low with a harvest rate less than 2 percent annually, consisting mostly of bulls (>90 percent). Currently, we estimate approximately 1,400 hunters harvest 1,000 caribou annually from an allowable harvest of 3,000 caribou.

Default not in the archery area

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Can somebody fill me in a little more on this action by the board of game? Is this in the archery area?

*edit*

link to current board of game actions...

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...10/roadmap.php
    If you look under the description it gives some lat long where this rectanlge box is... it is bascially west of the haul road and follows the rivers north until they hit the ocean... it is a 22 mile wide area that goes north to the ocean... about the closest it gets to the road is on the south east corner of the area comes close to the Toolik lake research station...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Wow, looking at the proposal, I guess we just jumped from a 2 caribou limit to a 5 caribou limit in 26B and we can take cows starting September 1st. I didn't hear about the herd growth over the last few years.

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...terior2010.pdf

that has been coming for awhile and one of the reasons behind the legislation to allow the snowmobile access on the haul road in the winter because the harvest objective has not been met on that herd in many years... but i wonder is the two caribou limit still on the Yukon river check point crossing?

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    If you look under the description it gives some lat long where this rectanlge box is... it is bascially west of the haul road and follows the rivers north until they hit the ocean... it is a 22 mile wide area that goes north to the ocean... about the closest it gets to the road is on the south east corner of the area comes close to the Toolik lake research station...
    Both the "lat/long" area, and the "remainder of" area were increased. The "remainder of" area encompasses the Haul Road from looking at the current regs, and is consistent with the description in the proposal. I don't have todays Newsminer, but my dad said there was an article in there about this proposal today.

The transporters in this area are about to get inundated with phone calls I'd imagine. Time to fill the freezers!

Default Bag at 5

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    If you look at the proposal it starts with a lat. and long. to describe a portion of 26b that has always had a higher bag limit than the rest of the area. In this portion of 26b there is no change to the bag limit. In the remainder of 26b including the corridor (archery only area) the limit has been increased to 5 caribou.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default Snowmachines?

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly_Hunter View Post
    that has been coming for awhile and one of the reasons behind the legislation to allow the snowmobile access on the haul road in the winter because the harvest objective has not been met on that herd in many years... but i wonder is the two caribou limit still on the Yukon river check point crossing?
    Prop 104 did not allow smowmachine access. I thought I remembered a prop. about that one being proposed but I could not find it.

Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    Prop 104 did not allow smowmachine access. I thought I remembered a prop. about that one being proposed but I could not find it.
    thats because it is a legislative issue currenly on the books with the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly_Hunter View Post
    but i wonder is the two caribou limit still on the Yukon river check point crossing?
    Where is this so called check point? we went through last spring and never saw a check point 1. Someone please shed some light on this for me, if this is true how is it even legal for them to hold you to a transportation limit of 2 when the limit for bou in 24a is 5 bou pp?

Default 5 bou

Wobbly may be talking about something else. The last several years that I have been hunting up north the limit on Caribou that can be transported south of the Yukon river has been 5. I think that has been the rule for many many years and I am sure that did not change.

There hasn't been a checkpoint at the Yukon River for a long time. I don't think there are any issues there. If you don't feel safe, get a proxy and you can bring out 10 in case you get carried away.

Default Check point?

We've hunted up there every year sence 04' and have never seen this check point. I don't think it exsist anymore.