Thread: Anchor River steelhead

Default Anchor River steelhead

I was wondering when the best time for steelhead on the anchor and kasilof River is? went down to the kenai yesterday 3-2-10 for rainbows fished the bridge and the ferry area with no luck mostly due to the 35 MPH winds, we couldnt make a good drift.

Default Anchor River

Quote Originally Posted by ron_linder@hotmail.com View Post
    I was wondering when the best time for steelhead on the anchor and kasilof River is? went down to the kenai yesterday 3-2-10 for rainbows fished the bridge and the ferry area with no luck mostly due to the 35 MPH winds, we couldnt make a good drift.
    I have not fished the Anchor in about 8 years. But I used to fish it the last week of September and 1st week of October and did well. You can call the Anchor River Tackle shop or the Anchor Inn and they will give you an update.

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default no steelies round here

Yeah you prolly have better luck else where... It seems like the Anchor steelies are all fished out!!

The reason you probably have not gotten a few more responses on this one is because the Anchor is closed to fishing until mid May when it opens for kings. Steelhead fishing on the Anchor starts happening again during the fall (August) and lasting until freeze up with September being the peak time.
    Over on the Kasilof River once there is open water there will be some steelhead to be found. Seems to peak in late April and is pretty much over by mid May. Never have fished it for steelhead in the fall as other Kenai Peninsula streams have my attention then so... The area around Crooked Creek is a good place to give it a try as any during April.

If you have spring fever and want to go steelhead fishing the Kasilof is about the only game in town for this area unless you get on a plane to go a little farther south of here.

well thanks for the help maybe we will try the kasilof next time... 10mm beads? or something like a fat freddy?

10 or 12mm beads, yarn flies, and leech patterns is what I have had success with in the past. Water is a little glaciery (is that a word) to use spinners or spoons but I have seen folks catch them while fishing for kings using plugs.
    Last edited by iceblue; 03-05-2010 at 14:50. Reason: added word