Thread: looking for small gas motor

Default looking for small gas motor

I need help finding a new or used small light wieght (under 40#) outboard motor for my canoe. it is a 17' only used for hunting so i dont need anything for trolling. wear are some good places in alaska to look? i would perfer an air cooled unit just for muddy water. i would like to keep it under $1000.

Default Honda

I went to Ron's Honda here in Soldotna and bought a 2hp honda 4 stroke. I think I paid 900$. I have a 16.5 ft pelican scanoe and the 2hp pushes it just fine loaded with gear, and sips the gas. Awesome motor. Best thing is....it weighs 27lbs dry. You could put it on a frame pack and pack it into the forestry cabins and slap it on one of their boats. Sure beats paddling. Got a built in gas tank also so no carrying around fuel jugs. It's air cooled. 360* swivel steering.

Default Honda

Not sure on shipping but here is one on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand...ssoriesQ5fGear

Default Honda outboards

are great. I have one and just love it. For only 2 hp it goes very good.
    I just saw a couple of them on Craigs list in the past couple days. I got mine on there and it was just like new. I think most of these don't get used very much so even a used one might be a good choice to save a few bucks. I still like to carry a small jug of gas with me as you can run it out of gas trolling in an afternoon but very good on the gas.They will run for a good while on only a liter of fuel.Just make sure you get the one that has a clutch, as they made some that when you fire them up they just go. I don't think that would be very good in most cases. I can't wait to fire it up again and enjoy soft water again.

Default FYI on little 2 to 3.5hp outboards

Most major manufacturers paint up their logo on tohatsu motors

Buying a straight labeled tohatsu will save you a couple hundred on the very same unit painted honda silver, yamaha blue or mercury black. They are all tohatsu's.

just another way to save money in today's market

an alternative way to propel the canoe is lasso the next deer you see swimming. Even the little doe I roped pulled my skiff so fast I thought we were on plane. Actually, it was not the smartest thing to do, but a dare was a dare and I got a lucky toss with the bow line had to cut her loose once she hit the beach.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

I do know that about mercury and others, but not sure about the Honda.
    If I was going new I would for sure look into tohatsu motors. All good reviews of them from what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by whateveri8 View Post
    Most major manufacturers paint up their logo on tohatsu motors

Buying a straight labeled tohatsu will save you a couple hundred on the very same unit painted honda silver, yamaha blue or mercury black. They are all tohatsu's.

just another way to save money in today's market

an alternative way to propel the canoe is lasso the next deer you see swimming. Even the little doe I roped pulled my skiff so fast I thought we were on plane. Actually, it was not the smartest thing to do, but a dare was a dare and I got a lucky toss with the bow line had to cut her loose once she hit the beach.
    I have one of the 2HP motors. Hardly any hours. Shop worn, but would clean up fast. The cowling needs painting and decaled to look new. Ran great last time I used it on my Old Town canoe. More power than a 5 HP Eska. I might let it go.

Default merc 7.5

Saw this merc 7.5 on craigslist:
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1614922331.html

That might one notch bigger than you're looking for though.

I believe Suzuki makes the lightest 2.5 hp four stroke at 30.1 lbs. Not sure about shipping cost to AK.

http://www.newsuzukioutboards.com/?g...FSpPgwodoiscaw

Default honda 2 hp

My little Honda 2 hp comes in at 28 lbs. I love that little motor.

Is the Honda 2 hp a four stroke?

I just looked up the Honda 2 hp. It is a four stroke and they advertise 27 lbs. I have been shopping for a motor for our 17 ft Grumman and also use it on an inflatable dingy. This looks like a good way to go.

Default 2 hp honda

They really feel like they have more get up and go then just 2 hp. On a canoe they should almost fly. The one thing that thru me at first was after trolling around a good part of the day it started to spit and sputter. Well I though it must be out of gas. looking into the little built in tank it looked like there was still gas. then I thought something else must be wrong. turns out that becouse of the angle it sits it doesn't draw down all the gas, so it was out of fuel even though it didn't look like it was. Still trolling around all afternoon on a liter of fuel is pretty good. I know they made 2 models and one of them doesn't have a clutch and when you start it, its in gear and away you go. Make sure you get the one with the clutch. If your not in a hurry I'd keep a eye on Craigs as that's where I found mine and it was only used like 15 hrs and only a couple years old.Saved a lot over new and it's just like new. They are air cooled and not overly bad, but they do make more noise than the bigger motors. Reminds me of the sound of a go-cart motor.
    If you are in the Wasilla area when the lakes open up and if you want to give it a try on your canoe before getting one just let me know. Boy I can't wait it's coming soon. Andrew

The Honda 2hp IS the way to go! It scoots my scanoe along just fine. Get a 5hp if your a speed demon and glutton for punishment, but if you just want to leisurely travel and troll then the 2hp is the one. I would not want to go any faster in a tipsy scanoe or canoe.

We packed up camp one day out of a lake to find wind and 2.5-3.5 waves. We had a scanoe and canoe with us, about 400 lbs of gear between all of us, 2 dogs, 5 people, and only the 1 scanoe had the 2hp Honda on it. We towed the canoe with the scanoe about 3 miles back to the truck. It was a very wet and cold ride but that little motor putted right along.

For sure get the clutched model like most have said, its no fun firing up a motor and the canoe jets forward and you stay in place. I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Do you think the 2hp would take you upstream, (in a fairly gentle current, like the Chena) with that weight and the canoe in tow? That's about the same setup we're looking at, as our family is quickly outgrowing our one scanoe. We've been thinking about a motor for a few years but haven't sprung for one yet. Where did you get the Honda? I'm thinking I can pick up one here in Fairbanks. I'd probably buy new, since it seems like you almost never see those small motors for sale second hand. Thanks...Louis
    Louis Knapp

It sounds like the big difference between the Honda 2 hp and the Suzuki 2.5 hp is that the Suzi is a true marine water cooled and quieter motor for 2 additional pounds over the Honda. I have not used either, just input I read from another forum.

Here is a honda 2 hp on CL:http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Honda

Yeah, I'm sure the Zuzuki's are great motors, but I'm going to stick with whats always worked for me. I bought my Honda for about 850 or 900 i cant remember. But go to any honda dealer. I'm in Soldotna so I'm not sure the dealers are in fairbanks. I'm not familiar with the Chena and what the currents like but i have taken it on the lower kenai river upstream. It certainly doesn't fly up the river, but it puts along. You may want to look into a 5hp if your going to be around currents > 4 knotts. so.. around 5mph. My setup is primarly for lakes and slow moving creeks and rivers.

Default good deal today

on craigslist. A 2 hp honda under warranty for $700
    (I have a Honda 2hp outboard under warranty till 2013 call jeff @ 315-6084 $700.00 ) If I was looking This one sounds like a great deal.