Thread: Electric trolling motors in salt

Default Electric trolling motors in salt

Anyone use any non-saltwater trolling motors in the salt?

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    Anyone use any non-saltwater trolling motors in the salt?
    Are you talking about an electric trolling motor? If you are then my answer is I have never seen or heard of anyone using one.

Electric and saltwater in the same sentence makes me cringe. It might work fine, for awhile...

I have one on my Kenai boat, and use it when drifting to control the boat. It is a sealed unit, so I think it would be fine in the salt, but I can't imagine trying to get anywhere with it. I would say it is about 1/10 the amount of thrust as my 2hp honda gas motor has, and is similar to wat I could do with oars. How would you plan on using it? As a back or main moto? What size boat?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

There are electric trolling motors specifically designed for salt and ones for fresh water. I see no reason why you couldn’t use a fresh water designated electric trolling motor in salt, only that you would probable be throwing it in the trash sooner.

Cabela’s has good assortment of Salt water Electric trolling motors.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Thumbs up

I've used 'em on inflatable canoes over the years... ran perfectly and always tried to clean 'em off.

This past season --- Minn Kota Pro 38 thrust gave me (with one passenger and a dry bag) a quiet, effortless slow cruise... as many knots comparable to two paddling in-sync and constant.

No real performance, yet relaxing... a nice time out on the water... just fine when you have the daylight, water, weather, & time.

Cool pic on the water the last day out with this set-up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    I've used 'em on inflatable canoes over the years... ran perfectly and always tried to clean 'em off.

This past season --- Minn Kota Pro 38 thrust gave me (with one passenger and a dry bag) a quiet, effortless slow cruise... as many knots comparable to two paddling in-sync and constant.

No real performance, yet relaxing... a nice time out on the water... just fine when you have the daylight, water, weather, & time.

Cool pic on the water the last day out with this set-up.
    I've thought about this on an 8-foot dinghy. Just for tooling around the cove, quitely, and without the expense of a true outboard.