Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whose the best fixit shop?

Default Whose the best fixit shop?

Looking for any input on local valley to anchorage atv repair shops? If nothing else anybody to stay away from and maybe price/value compared to work being done. I need some minor welding and possible replacing a few parts in the front suspension. thanks

I have been dealing with Hatcher Pass Polaris since the late 1980's. Never been ripped off and always satisified with their work. Kind of a ways out but worth it to me. Heard good things about the ATV repair shop in Eagle River near Johnson's tire. Haven't used them but I have friends that have and they like them. Had a BIG problem with a PoPo dealer in ER. They OVER CHARGED me for work they DID NOT DO. Over $540. Then they refused to call the manager/owner, who had left for the day and refused to give me a refund saying they only gave STORE CREDIT. Like I was going to come back. Long Story - after threat of APD involvment and charges of FELONY FRAUD (over $500) they credited back my card. Never going there again!!!

Thanks for the advice. Really nobody else who has experience?

I've had ATV Salvage in eagle river do work for me in the past and I'd have to say that they were very knowledgeable and fair on pricing.

Default ATV salvage

I sent a female friend to ATV Salvage after reading good things on this forum. I can say he definetly treated her fair and I would say for what he did any of the name brand shops would have been at least twice as much if not more. If I didn't do my work myself I would take it to him in a heartbeat.
    Dave

Have had nothing but good experiences with Anchorage Suzuki/ Arctic Cat.

Wont ever go to Anchorage Yamaha for service ever again after they had my wheeler for 3 days to do a job that takes 2 hours. I even had an appointment. And they NEVER called me to tell me it was done even though I was leaving for a hunting trip and told them several times to call me ASAP...

Thumbs down i wouldn't recommend atv salvage in eagle river

i dropped my wheeler off there after some advice of a friend that also had work done there cheap. He said he did a good job on his wheeler. I on the other hand did not get the quality work done that i wanted. I dropped my wheeler off for him to replace rear bearing in wheel which he did. also to fix carb problem and radiator fan bearings were bad. He kept my wheeler for about a week and a half and i only got the rear bearing replaced. he told me that there was nothing wrong with my carb and charged me $600. I got home and my carb was still messed up and my radiator fan was also messed up. Now i have to take the wheeler to the dealer because if he charged me $600 for just a bearing god knows how much a carb repair or rebuild would cost me there. So basically I feel i got ripped off. I know everyone has different views on repairmen not all of them good. You just have to choose for yourself.

Default opposite for me

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    Have had nothing but good experiences with Anchorage Suzuki/ Arctic Cat.

Wont ever go to Anchorage Yamaha for service ever again after they had my wheeler for 3 days to do a job that takes 2 hours. I even had an appointment. And they NEVER called me to tell me it was done even though I was leaving for a hunting trip and told them several times to call me ASAP...
    The Anchorage Suzuki Arctic cat dealership, 3 yrs ago barely knew how to do a tune up. The Yamaha guys got my 450 in and out in two days, and it ran like a champ afterwards. no problems with them, vs, paying $250 for an oil change at Arctic Cat.

From all the responses it seems like a crap shoot any day of the week.

Sounds like a good business opportunity for someone... Fair prices, decent service, and integrity... Sure be nice to find such a place every time you took something in rather than a crap shoot....

Default ATV Salvage, Eagle River

Great service and half the price of the quote I got intown. Great guy and happy with the end product. Showed me what the problem was, fixed it, and then kept all the replaced parts to show me what he did and how to prevent it in the furutre!

Thumbs up Alaska Extreme Motorsports in Willow

I'll put in a good word for Alaska Extreme Motorsports in Willow. Never heard much about them, but saw their sign near my cabin so I thought it would be a good way to check them out and offload one of my to-do's on someone else.
    Unlike some other experiences I've had, they acted like they wanted my business . Dropped a snowmachine off unannounced at 12:30pm on a Saturday just after Iditarod and told them I'm not in a hurry (spare machine) and would pick it up the following weekend. Called me up about 5pm the same day to pick it up and they had a special going on so the price was cheap. Everyone I talked to there was friendly and thanked me for bringing my machine to them. Sled runs great and did some track tune-up work on it thrown in.
    They work on most any off-road rig and I'm going to run one of my wheelers over there later this spring for some work. Only downside was they weren't set up to take credit cards, but I'm a cash guy anyway.

I had included for contrast, a multi-paragraph rant of my experiences with a local dealer, but before posting, old Mom's cliche's "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all", kicked in. I was going to put a icon with it but didn't describe it properly the board doesn't have one handy that's giving the finger.

Default 2nd hatchers pass

hatchers pass....good quality work, fair prices & they work on all makes....the guys in the shop have been there a while & not a bunch of kids if that tells ya anything

Default honda dealer

took a 400 foreman into the honda dealer last year. i made an appointment 2 weeks in advance, dropped it off, waited a couple weeks, called them back, they had'nt touched it. another week goes by, they still don't touch it. i made an appointment because i needed it for RC860, of course. i told them there was no way they were tearing it apart with only a week left before my hunt. it has a slight clutch issue, it will run ok, so i used it how it was. it is now at gopro on dowling & potter. i'll let you guys know how they do.

Go Pro is a go!!! They diagnosed my problem quickly and accurately, and fixed it for less than the estimate. I told them i was'nt in a blazing hurry, and they still got it done in a reasonable amount of time. I'll definitely go back.

Default Isnt hatchers pass polaris etc opening a store in wasilla.

i could have sworn i saw a sign going up by wasilla across the street by hr block. that would be great and save me from running into eagle river. I like eagle river polaris but they have always treated me right. Thats just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by huskerhav View Post
    i could have sworn i saw a sign going up by wasilla across the street by hr block. that would be great and save me from running into eagle river. I like eagle river polaris but they have always treated me right. Thats just me though.
    WASILLA HP AK IS OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The new store is open and ready for business. They are limited on yard space there so all of there service is done by appts. Swing by and check out the new store. It is great, the best shop in AK is now even more convenient than before. They have knowledgable service guys to. No kids making $10 an hour and not knowing what they are doing. Last time I was there they were not to booked up yet for service. Porbly get to ya within a couple days. Check them out
    HP AK

Although I don't have personal experience (yet), I've also heard Go Pro does a good job and their pricing is fair. I'll probably use them to do some pre-season service on my wheelers in the next few weeks.

Default Mostly maintenance..

I live in Anchorage and have used Big Lake Powersports for mostly annual maintenance. I have never had a major repair that needed to be done that was not covered under some kind of warranty.

However, I did have a suspension issue with my RMK, which resulted in my track getting chewed up. I fixed the suspension but did not want to try and deal with changing out the track. Took it to AK Extreme Motorsports in Willow. Quoted me $180 - $60 per hour shop rate. They had my track changed out, aligned, checked clutch alignment and shined my machine up in about 2.5 hours. I gave 'em $180 and James the owner said the extra $30 would go to the mechanic as a tip. Kinda out of the way, but like was mentioned below, they are eager for work and do a good job. The polishing of my machine was a nice little extra that didn't need to be done and I appreciated it.

I've also heard good things about Hatchers Pass Polaris.

Availability to get your machine in, good diagnosis, good repair, and decent shop rate is what I look for. Some shops charge $90 per hour, that's pretty steep when guys like AK Extreme might be charging $60.

1S1K, that is some great service you received from AK Extreme. Good for you for giving them the extra $30 and good for the owner for passing it on to the mechanic as a tip and not putting it in his pocket. Also good for you for giving them a thumbs up on this forum. All to often we just hear about the bad experiences.
    As for shop rates, some shops in town get $110 an hour plus a shop supply fee on top of that. I am not complaining, if that's what it takes to keep a full service dealership open, so be it. Good to know there are other choices, especially for the basic services.

Default ATV repair

Just thought I would let you all know.

The local Polaris dealer here has had my ATV for over 4 weeks for a "simple" repair. I will never again take my ATV to Marita Sea & Ski again. I could have ordered a whole new ATV part by part through Amazon and built it myself. I will try the dealer in Eagle River though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast