Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Ship Creek

  1. #1
    Member MNViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    746

    Default Ship Creek

    Any kings in Ship yet?


    FIRST! HA.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    I have a buddy, who has a cousin who's best friends uncle saw a roller the other day and he talked to a guy who was there yesterday who talked to a guy who had heard of one being caught a couple days ago.

  3. #3

    Talking Caught one yesterday

    Was at Ship creek last night .Caught a 3 lb juvinale then hooked into a hog weighed 32.5 lbs.
    Then I woke up dang

  4. #4
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    That was you I saw fishing under the bridge this morning. I saw the rod bent to the cork. I thought Man you lucky man
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Awwww getting me excited! Can't wait to spend every tide cycle I can failing to catch Kings at Ship Creek again. Just like last year, I'll be there daily with my 2 kids playing in the mud puddle behind me.

    Everyone told me, you got to put in the time at Ship Creek, well last year I was there almost every day from the end of May till it closed and only got 2, that sure is a lot of time investment! Had fun and met some great people down there though, look forward to seeing some of them again this year and meeting new people!

  6. #6
    Member AlaskaIsCold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage/UAA
    Posts
    144

    Default

    So yeah I know its really early to start thinking about it, but considering a best case situation is it generally better to fish up near the dam or down at the mouth? Last season I pretty much fished exclusivly up near the dam (Didnt catch a thing). But this season im thinking about getting as close to the mouth as possible (Fishing the rising tide), but im not sure if that is a wise choice or not.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

  7. #7
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    I never fish up by the bridge. I always fish accross from the big salt pile at the rail yard. 2 years ago I caught about 15 kings in this area. Almost everyone up there floats roe so if you're a caster like me, it's a good area. Right where the creek widens about 300 yds up from the mouth.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  8. #8
    Member AlaskaIsCold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage/UAA
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I never fish up by the bridge. I always fish accross from the big salt pile at the rail yard. 2 years ago I caught about 15 kings in this area. Almost everyone up there floats roe so if you're a caster like me, it's a good area. Right where the creek widens about 300 yds up from the mouth.
    Huh...I usually use a fly rod and I was going to use a rather fast sink tip (Rating V) I don't want to end up getting so deep that I snag up with their lines. But yeah do you think that would be an issue? Because I think im going to try your spot for a day or two in the morning and see how it goes.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

  9. #9

    Default

    I'm ready to roll...just got the mud off my boots from last year
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

  10. #10
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    Huh...I usually use a fly rod and I was going to use a rather fast sink tip (Rating V) I don't want to end up getting so deep that I snag up with their lines. But yeah do you think that would be an issue? Because I think im going to try your spot for a day or two in the morning and see how it goes.

    You should not have a problem snagging lines here. The way the current runs up there it keeps the egger's gear close to shore. Second, the way the mud slopes away from the anglers towards the bottom only allows you to fish the eggs a few feet down. Third, when the tide is in, it is 30-40 ft deep in the channel so you'll have no problem keeping away from the bottom. You should have no problem. The closer you get to the mouth, the shallower it gets, but there's also very few people that fish right at the mouth. I saw a few guys casting a fly in the spot I describe that year and none of them had a problem. I'll prolly be down there doing it myself this year.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  11. #11
    Member AlaskaIsCold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage/UAA
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    You should not have a problem snagging lines here. The way the current runs up there it keeps the egger's gear close to shore. Second, the way the mud slopes away from the anglers towards the bottom only allows you to fish the eggs a few feet down. Third, when the tide is in, it is 30-40 ft deep in the channel so you'll have no problem keeping away from the bottom. You should have no problem. The closer you get to the mouth, the shallower it gets, but there's also very few people that fish right at the mouth. I saw a few guys casting a fly in the spot I describe that year and none of them had a problem. I'll prolly be down there doing it myself this year.
    I was thinking that in terms of salmon fishing you want to get as close to the bottom as possible beacuse during the rising tide they all come in right along the channel bottom. Its why I was thinking about with a massive sink tip i could get all the way to the bottom. use a fat freddie or an agressor pattern. My worry is tangling with the soaking lines, I dont want to cause somebody a headache and time cause my line was swept into his trebble hook. What do you think? at 9ips it would take like a minute to get all the way down to the bottom, is there enough room at the near mouth to cast that far to either side of you?
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

  12. #12
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    I have just about given up on ship creek for kings....my dad always tells me to go early, like the 1st week of may.....but im too busy bear hunting for that.....this year i may even try to fish the derby.....I sure hope they keep the parks highway streams open to king fishing this year.....

    My friend used to do really well at ship for kings....he brought 3 rods with him every time he went....his trusty fly rod, his biatcaster and his spinning rod.....he would first fish bait on the incoming, then cast spinners and spoons and wiggle warts on the slack, then for low tide he fished his fly rod. I can say he probably caught fish every single outing.



    Release Lake Trout

  13. #13
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    I was thinking that in terms of salmon fishing you want to get as close to the bottom as possible beacuse during the rising tide they all come in right along the channel bottom. Its why I was thinking about with a massive sink tip i could get all the way to the bottom. use a fat freddie or an agressor pattern. My worry is tangling with the soaking lines, I dont want to cause somebody a headache and time cause my line was swept into his trebble hook. What do you think? at 9ips it would take like a minute to get all the way down to the bottom, is there enough room at the near mouth to cast that far to either side of you?
    Almost every king I have caught at Ship has been within a few feet of the waters edge. Even inches away from the edge. I keep whatever I'm casting in the water until the very last second. I've been surprised a few times at how close to the edge I actually got a strike. There may be some fish down in the creek channel, but with the tidal currents there, in the one minute it takes your fly to get to the bottom you're gonna get all messed up. I've also talked to some of the boats that cruze around out there and it seems the fish that are roaming the open water tend to stay 15' down or so. I've seen fish caught at the end of a cast out near the channel, but the vast majority of fish caught from the bank are caught within a few feet of shore. I've even seen people soak roe on the bottom way out in the channel at high tide with little success.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  14. #14
    Member Cliffhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Homer, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default Multiple techniques...

    That's the way to fish Ship Creek. At least, be prepared to try DIFFERENT types of fishing, from casting bait, to flipping, to throwing a spinning lure. Each stage of the tide dictates HOW you fish the creek.

    I loved to work the head of the tide, incoming and outgoing, with eggs under a bobber. The silvers would just go nuts...

    And fishing eggs under the bobber below the new bridge was a blast on the incoming tide. Fish would stage right at the bridge and the window of opportunity lasted about an hour. Get there 2 hours after the low tide and get in position. Here's a "Fishing Dude" video of the action there.

    Also, a combat fishing video from Ship.

    I loved Ship Creek when I lived in Anchorage. You just get to appreciate any river if you get to know it, even if it is a nasty, muddy, low-down ugly waterway...

  15. #15
    Member arcticfox77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    191

    Default you are gonna think im nuts...

    but i swear by the pixee with the rattle inside. a few years ago i was down by the mouth and i was trying everything. i watched the guy next to me tie on a pixee and pitch it out there and on his third cast WHAM fish on. so i made a mental note and went to freddies and got the same pixee that fella had on and on the next tide it was my turn to yell fish on. after that all the kings i have caught at ship creek have been on pixees.

  16. #16

    Default

    Jim, Gosh, last we spoke you were heading to SE Alaska to live. Glad to hear you're in Homer. Great town. Maybe I'll bump into you this summer.

    Tim

    PS...could not agree more regarding Ship Creek. To some its a muddy nightmare, to me, I see King Salmon within eyesight of the downtown skyline. Can't beat that.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

  17. #17
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    ship creek is cool, you can drop your wife off at the 5th ave mall, and pick her up after you caught your king, then go home and cook her dinner. or if you strike out on catching fish, go over to orsos or snowgoose and have a nice meal.

    Ray
    Semper Fi!

  18. #18
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,837

    Default Ain't no way....

    Ain't no way that I am leaving the wife at the mall for 2 weeks solid.........LOL

  19. #19
    Member supern8inak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    but i swear by the pixee with the rattle inside. a few years ago i was down by the mouth and i was trying everything. i watched the guy next to me tie on a pixee and pitch it out there and on his third cast WHAM fish on. so i made a mental note and went to freddies and got the same pixee that fella had on and on the next tide it was my turn to yell fish on. after that all the kings i have caught at ship creek have been on pixees.
    Agreed, love the Rattlin' Pixie. A nice pink center with the holographic border. I've caught 3 kings out of ship (I don't fish there much) and each time was on the rattlin' pixie. Have used Vibrax also with no luck.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •