Thread: Sage XP Rods

Default Sage XP Rods

Any of you guys own or fished with a Sage XP rod? I found a place that still has some and I'm considering picking one up. I have a 8wt Z-Axis and was curious how it compared to it. I'm looking at a 9'6" 6wt. Thanks for responses.

never fished the Z but the XP's are nice...much faster than the old SP's and well suited for fishing in AK...if you can get a good price I wouldn't hesitate...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Smooth as butter frosting for "technical" casting that requires a little finesse. They'll reward an experienced caster, but a beginner isn't likely to notice the difference from something cheaper.

Wish I had one....they are pretty legendary. I do have a Z-Axis and love it, used it a ton last summer...Cabelas had it for sale for awhile, I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on it...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby257 View Post
    Any of you guys own or fished with a Sage XP rod? I found a place that still has some and I'm considering picking one up. I have a 8wt Z-Axis and was curious how it compared to it. I'm looking at a 9'6" 6wt. Thanks for responses.
    Any chance you could let me know where you've found them? I'm in the market for a 9' 6wt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RussT View Post
    Any chance you could let me know where you've found them? I'm in the market for a 9' 6wt.

Thanks
    Pretty sure he found it here:

http://estore.anglers-pro.com/cgi-bi...c3x&mv_pc=5614

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default xp vs z axis

The taper is much better on the xp, on the z axis it goes from stiff to... not sensitive, not fast, not gradual, just crap. I had a 10' 7 wt z axis and sold it because it was such an incongruent and worthless taper. The Xp is the best hands down. If you are just gonna dunk bobber rigs, then it doesn't matter what you have between the two, but for real fly fishing with real casting and feel and mending and doing what a fly rod is meant to do, don't waste your dollars on the z axis.

If you already have a similar z-axis (similar length and weight) stick with it. Don't get me wrong i have 2 xp and love them, i also have z-axis, ds2's, vt2's and love them all. They are all great rods.

The taper is much better on the xp, on the z axis it goes from stiff to... not sensitive, not fast, not gradual, just crap. I had a 10' 7 wt z axis and sold it because it was such an incongruent and worthless taper. The Xp is the best hands down. If you are just gonna dunk bobber rigs, then it doesn't matter what you have between the two, but for real fly fishing with real casting and feel and mending and doing what a fly rod is meant to do, don't waste your dollars on the z axis.
    This quote is perplexing to me as it kind of further as it furthers my point. Look we all have different opinions, i know some great fisherman that like xp better than z-axis and know some great fisherman who prefer z-axis over xp. But none i repeat none are crappy rods or a waste of money(nor should they be for 500 to 800 dollars or more) Anyone who tells you different is probably way to anal and is the kind of person is never satisfied with anything. and the bottom part of the qoute is ridiculous, i have watched a guy cast a 10' 7 wt z axis 110 feet which is pretty reel to me and my last year guiding is when the z-axis came out and although i didn't have one yet many of my fellow guides who also hate bobbers caught plenty of rainbows high sticking even the finicky funnel fish. Your talking about 25 to 28 inch fish in crystal clear water that require a perfect drag free drift and 4 pound flouro tippet. they seemed to do pretty well with a z-axis. In fact one guide lived in anc and said he did better on finnicky russian river and montana creek fish with his z-axis than his xp and he would never use a bobber.

Comparing top of the line fly rods like comparing top of the line dirt bikes or rifles from popular and respected manufacurars. Some have things that others don't but they are all quality products. I don't thing there is or will ever be a 700 dollar fly rod that is crap or is a waste of money

So unless you are selling your z-axis or are loaded i wouldn't drop money on an xp. whether you like it more than a z-axis or less the difference is minimal, i guarentee you won't say wow the xp is way better than the z-axis nor will you say it's way worse

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Pretty sure he found it here:

http://estore.anglers-pro.com/cgi-bi...c3x&mv_pc=5614

Fish On!

Assuming so, be sure to check out the Pebble Mine Sage package for $499. A guy put a post recently about this. I contacted Sage to verify the offers validity. Sounds cheap to me, but I am a bit of a skeptic. Have not heard back from Sage yet. But the package is pretty awesome for anyone looking for an 8wt set up. Sage 4 piece Z-Axis 8 wt, Reddington CD reel, Rio 8 wt WF line, and case for $499.

http://www.anglers-pro.com/cgi-bin/c...BNo6D&mv_pc=76

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The other guys got it right man. The save Bristol Bay outfit is a smoking deal, but I'm more interested in the XP's.

Default XP = rocket

I have a 9 ft. 8wt and although it took a few years to maximize what it can do for you....it is one serious fur huckin rod. It's pretty stiff and lends itself to a powerful stroke to actually load it but once it's loaded it shoots lots of line....fast. Also, very durable, my only break was from an obvious shot from a buddy casting coneheaded pike flies. I don't think it lends itself to early casters due to it's stiffness, but once you grow into it, it's a sweet rod. They also (and maybe still do) make hte TCR which was supposed to be even faster....not sure I'd even like that except for in high wind or lond distance situations with lots of backcast room. The only thing I have a hard time doing with the xp is casting in a tight spot. It's stiff enough that it's hard to shoot it well if you don't have enough line out. My girlfriend used it (and although she casts well) she just didn't have the strength to turn it over enough....the rod seemed to hardly bend as she false casted.

But, in the right hands, it's a fine rod. Haven't throw the z axis to compare but cant really think of how to improve it. Plus, they are a really pretty rod. (can't say the same for some of sage's other stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I have a 9 ft. 8wt and although it took a few years to maximize what it can do for you....it is one serious fur huckin rod. It's pretty stiff and lends itself to a powerful stroke to actually load it but once it's loaded it shoots lots of line....fast. Also, very durable, my only break was from an obvious shot from a buddy casting coneheaded pike flies. I don't think it lends itself to early casters due to it's stiffness, but once you grow into it, it's a sweet rod. They also (and maybe still do) make hte TCR which was supposed to be even faster....not sure I'd even like that except for in high wind or lond distance situations with lots of backcast room. The only thing I have a hard time doing with the xp is casting in a tight spot. It's stiff enough that it's hard to shoot it well if you don't have enough line out. My girlfriend used it (and although she casts well) she just didn't have the strength to turn it over enough....the rod seemed to hardly bend as she false casted.

But, in the right hands, it's a fine rod. Haven't throw the z axis to compare but cant really think of how to improve it. Plus, they are a really pretty rod. (can't say the same for some of sage's other stuff)
    Catchit,
    When there's a tight spot or not much room for a back cast like you mentioned, will the XP either roll cast or even single hand spey cast effiectively/efficiently? In my limited experience, the correct line makes a big difference in roll casting capability. Would these type of casts would work better in those situations?

I really appreciate all of your guys inputs and advice, thanks alot.

What it comes down to (my .02) is the stiffness of the rod and the ability to load it without enough line out. I find it not the greatest roll casting rod, perhaps the single handed spey would improve the distance as you can involve more line than a regular roll. what I try to do is double haul it....and hard, when I'm in tight spots but want more distance. It's kinda clunky but usually better than a rollcast. (that said, I'm still workin on the nuances of a really good roll cast, sometimes I lay out a beauty, other times it piles up at my feet)

It seems a softer rod helps me with roll casting...again this is perhaps due to a need to work on the technique and the softer rod is more forgiving with a slower stroke. But, that's only one drawback of what is othewise a real performer for Alaskan fishing wiht all of its uniqueness of heavy and fluffy flies, windy days, big rivers, and need of backbone to turn big fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    What it comes down to (my .02) is the stiffness of the rod and the ability to load it without enough line out. I find it not the greatest roll casting rod, perhaps the single handed spey would improve the distance as you can involve more line than a regular roll. what I try to do is double haul it....and hard, when I'm in tight spots but want more distance. It's kinda clunky but usually better than a rollcast. (that said, I'm still workin on the nuances of a really good roll cast, sometimes I lay out a beauty, other times it piles up at my feet)

It seems a softer rod helps me with roll casting...again this is perhaps due to a need to work on the technique and the softer rod is more forgiving with a slower stroke. But, that's only one drawback of what is othewise a real performer for Alaskan fishing wiht all of its uniqueness of heavy and fluffy flies, windy days, big rivers, and need of backbone to turn big fish.
    I'm sure practice would be needed to perfect a roll cast with a XP, or any rod for that matter. I'm the same as you when it comes to roll casting, sometimes good and others end up a tangled mess 2 foot away. I agree that a softer action is easier than a faster one though. I just find that a good roll cast is more useful to me than a tight loop 80 foot cast.

Default Here's the Bristol Bay Outfit

It's legit. Received mine 3 days after ordering. I've got co-workers who ordered and have received theirs. It's exactly as advertised. Basically, Sage, Redington and Rio donated 1 days production to making 300 of these outfits.

From Trout Unlimited:
    Sage Manufacturing, Redington Tackle & Apparel, and RIO Products International are creating a special ready-to-fish outfit that will be released by April 2008. Only 300 limited edition outfits will be produced.
    The outfit will come with a Sage Z-Axis 9-foot 8-weight rod and a Redington moss-colored CD 7/8 reel pre-spooled with RIO Gold fly line. A case will also be included, which will be embroidered with a unique graphical slogan, “More Precious Than Gold – Save Bristol Bay”. Purchased separately, this outfit would retail for more than $875. The companies plan to retail this special outfit for $600. It will be available to purchase directly from Sage, through Redington.com, and through their authorized dealer network.

I'm guessing here, but it looks like there were about 40 outfits left and they were obtained by a retailer who has lowered the price $100 from the original asking price.
    Last edited by irish56ak; 03-04-2010 at 23:44. Reason: content