Thread: 300 win mag

Default 300 win mag

im wondering if i shoot a moose in the hump with a 300 win mag 180gr partition or tsx will it anchor the moose? i have no expiriance shooting moose with a 300 win mag and up i did most of my hunting with 308 win

Default Don't know about the hump...

...but if you shoot it through the brisket (heart lungs - right behind, or through the front leg, a little low in the chest) with a 300wm it will likely take a step or two and then drop. If using TSX's don't stand too close, give them time to open up.

salcha star road

why would you should a moose in the hump? thats just ridiculous. you would be wasting excellent meat. Myself and many of my friends hunt with .300 win mags, and they are a top caliber for alaskan game animals. Like salcha said, your best shot should be just behind the shoulder. if you are uncertain, the fish and game website has shot placement charts of different alaskan game species. as for the ammunition, I personally prefer 180 grain remington cor-loks or 180 grain federal hot cors.

Release Lake Trout

Default A lil' lower....

Here's what an el cheapo .300 Win Mag Federal 180 gr. HotCor does when you aim a the lower third behind the front shoulder:

He just didn't have the heart to run away.

This is $17 a box ammo. Shot taken at 266 yards. The bullet parked just under the skin on the other side, perfect energy expenditure, not an ounce of meat wasted. Well, unless you eat the heart maybe!

I may bump up to a partition bullet. The hotcorr was pretty expended with only about a half of it's mass left intact. It did the job, but was marginal. Had I not had a great broadside shot and hit major bones, it wouldn't have done very well. Federal HotCor is DEFINITELY not a bear round!!!!
    Last edited by Sir; 03-03-2010 at 23:01. Reason: spelling

well i was wondering if the shoulder shot was good since my dad allways told me that with the 300 mag its to fast to transfer all its energy. i don't now how i could convince him to think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by salchastar View Post
    If using TSX's don't stand too close, give them time to open up.
    What? You do know that the bullets "open" when they hit the target, and not during the flight, right?

Quote Originally Posted by luisss View Post
    well i was wondering if the shoulder shot was good since my dad allways told me that with the 300 mag its to fast to transfer all its energy. i don't now how i could convince him to think differently.

Guess what everyone is trying to tell you is there is a huge difference between the hump above a moose's shoulder and the actual shoulder.

Moose are easy to kill and as long as you hit the lungs or heart it will go down rather quickly with your 300 win mag. Yes the 300 is going a bit faster than your 308 but it imparts plenty of energy to the subject that is hit by it.

Default With a cow permit...

I put one right behind her ear and she went down like I hit her with a sledgehammer. Didn't even get to take a step. The 300 is quite the hammer for moose. Good Luck
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default Nothing actually in the hump

If your a bit High there is nothing to do damage to .....
    Shot one bull at 260 yard with 300wm 180 Nosler Part - heart shot - staggered about 30 or 40 yards and done.... complete pass thru - heart looked like one in pics....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fastest I ever seen a Moose go down was a spine shot my brother in law made with a 300 win mag, he hit higher than he wanted, but it definetely got the job done

OK hart lung field is always the "best shot", several folks have explained where to aim for. Question I have is what the heck dose your dad mean and how could shooting an animal in a area with no vital organs possibly be a better shot?

A bullet will transfer all of it's energy into it's target unless it passes completely through no matter how fast it is going. A 300win mag that doesn't pass through will deliver more energy than say a 30-30 or 30-06. If it dose pass through so what! Nothing lives for long with a hole completely through its lungs or heart!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    What? You do know that the bullets "open" when they hit the target, and not during the flight, right?
    I think what he meant to say is:

If using TSX's don't stand too close, give them time to slow down so they will open up and not come apart.

Or at least I hope that is what he meant.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    OK hart lung field is always the "best shot", several folks have explained where to aim for. Question I have is what the heck dose your dad mean and how could shooting an animal in a area with no vital organs possibly be a better shot?

A bullet will transfer all of it's energy into it's target unless it passes completely through no matter how fast it is going. A 300win mag that doesn't pass through will deliver more energy than say a 30-30 or 30-06. If it dose pass through so what! Nothing lives for long with a hole completely through its lungs or heart!
    when i said hump i mean the shoulder where u hit the spin and the 2 shoulder blades and the thing he said abut to fast is that the bullet did not expand he lost a moose since the bullet did not expand now he dose not trust the caliber i think its more off a bullet failure.

I think your Dad is confused by the old wifeís tales. When fast magnums like 300WM first came out they were faster at close range than the bullets of the time could handle. You could shoot a critter at 20 passes and watch him walk away because the bullet just designated on contact. This is exactly why Nosler invented the Partition, he was hunting with a new fangled magnum and had this happen to him. As Rick-P said all the energy is transferred but in these cases to the hide and not to anything vital due to lack of penetration.

To convince him to think differently may be a tall order but I would explain the above then take your 300WM with good bullets moose hunting and drag him along to see firsthand what it will do.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

. . . the thing he said abut to fast is that the bullet did not expand he lost a moose since the bullet did not expand now he dose not trust the caliber i think its more off a bullet failure.
    That sounds like too slow like he took a long shot and the quality bullet that was designed to expand at "X" velocity slowed down too much. Or just an out-n-out bullet failure as you says. Either way itís not the caliber itís a failure to understand it and how to use it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

we experimented with a tsx bullet in .458 to see what it was capable of...we took 3 rail road ties, stacked them up back to back to back, and fired from 20 yards.....the **** thing finally stopped 3/4 of the way thru the 3rd tie, with full flower petal opening and 95% weight retention.....them tsx's are bad little monsters. would hate to be a griz with one of those hitting me. however they are just too **** expensive for me. Never lost an animal due to cheapo ammo.

Release Lake Trout

Default luisss

If you use the hump as an aiming point of reference and drop down maybe 18 inches you should put a bullet into that area you speak of where all the good stuff comes together - any good 300 Win Mag bullet should do extensive damage in that area and likely drop a moose on the spot taking out one shoulder/maybe both and probably spine damage as well. Doubt that you get an exit. Your gonna loose some meat but if you want to see bullet performance this may just be the spot for ya! I've saw 1 moose shot there and several Elk and more deer than I can remember, they dropped like they were sledge hammered, meat loss was pretty bad but you didn't have to do any tracking.
    I agree with other posts - your father has had one bad experience that needs to be forgotten as too many unknowns could have caused his loss. The 300WM is too good a caliber to think otherwise....Good luck.

I think a .300 Win mag and a 180grn or 200grn Nosler Partition are a match made in heavan. The only reason i would go with a 200grn bullet is if the chance of running into a brown was a real possiblilty. There is a reason its so popular in Alaska!