Thread: Powders for the 358win

Question Powders for the 358win

I have H322, H4895, TAC, & AA2495 on my self. I have done some work using the 200gr Spire point with H322 and H4895 velocities are good 2470-2500fps just working on accuracy. The H322 leaves suit around the neck seems like a low presure sign. H4895 does not. Not much done but max presure testing for the 225gr partition with H4895 and TAC. Both did 2430fps at max listed charge no pressure signs no black suit (smoke ring)

H322 is the fastest powder I have used and falls about where western's balistion advised for X-terminator as the 358win's first choice and TAC as second. Fast or mediun burn rates, what have you found to work best? I have a 20.5" barreled rem 700.

I am one of those who can't stuff enough Varget in to make it work in a 358 or 35rem so I have a can of that too.

I donít have a 358 but love 4895 for 308 based everything as well as 30-30 based cases. I think 4895 is the standard 308 ball ammo powder in the military but not 100% sure of it. Man dose it bring a 30-30 alive though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have loaded for a friends 358 for several years. He has always used Hornady 200 grainers and thus I have a dumby round in with the dies that I use to set seating depth. He showed up sunday night with Nosler Partition 225 grainers to load this time around with an elk hunt on the brain. I sent him home to get his rifle and told him I wasn't starting over on a new load without the gun to try them in.

Monday morning I loaded up some test loads using IMR4895. I loaded 3 rounds each starting with 47 grains and went up to 50 grains in .5 grain increments. Today I went and shot those 21 rounds up looking at group size and pressure signs. Even though I took my time I still managed a couple of fliers. If you write those fliers off as pilot error(and they were) then every group was right around an inch... more or less. The very best group was about 5/8 of an inch and that was with 47 grains and the worst group was with 50 grains at about an inch and a quarter. Pressure signs were just starting to become evident at 50 grains. The primers were barely starting to flatten out a bit but there was no indication of the bolt face taking on brass or anything to be concerned about. Still, I am backing down 1/2 grain and am going to go with 49.5 as the load for this bullet in his rifle. That load happens to be the top recommended loaded according to Noslers load book and they shot an even inch group.

Sorry I don't have a chrony. Noslers manual says that load(49.5 grains) is running 2528 fps.

While I was loading this ammo my friend was reading through the Nosler manual and discovered something else that I found of real interest.....I think I'll start a new thread so as not to high jack this one.......I've been doing to much of that lately!

My friends gun is a model 70 with 22 inch barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    I have H322, H4895, TAC, & AA2495 on my self. I have done some work using the 200gr Spire point with H322 and H4895 velocities are good 2470-2500fps just working on accuracy. The H322 leaves suit around the neck seems like a low presure sign. H4895 does not. Not much done but max presure testing for the 225gr partition with H4895 and TAC. Both did 2430fps at max listed charge no pressure signs no black suit (smoke ring)

H322 is the fastest powder I have used and falls about where western's balistion advised for X-terminator as the 358win's first choice and TAC as second. Fast or mediun burn rates, what have you found to work best? I have a 20.5" barreled rem 700.

I am one of those who can't stuff enough Varget in to make it work in a 358 or 35rem so I have a can of that too.
    I worked up loads several years ago for my 358 in a BLR (20") and couldn't find a better balanced powder (velocity & accuracy) for 200s & 225s than H322.

I will redo my H4895 loads, because I did get two 5/8" groups from a 46.0gr load with the 200gr Spire Point but could not redo it from the same batch the following spring. For any of these its a flyer that throwsmy groups off. I do need to refocus my VXII 1.5-5 because I did get lasic and had to refocus all my scopes and that one is the only scope that iss till fuzzy so it is a factor.

It will be April before I get to testing but I will use both the 200 & 225 and shoot loads using H322, H4895, and AA2495.

Side note H4895 40.5grs max is a 2200fps 35rem load with the 200 rem CLRN and in a 20" barrel TAC does 2250fps. See marlin owners posts by 35 remington for a very complete 35rem perimer.

Thanks all and I will post my findings

I just finished my first 358Win loads using 200gr Rem Core-Lokts and IMR-3031 and IMR 4064. I started both at 46.0grs and stopped at 48.5grs. Loads were starting to approach my comfort level as far as compression goes so I stopped at this level. This being a new cartrdige for me.

Groups were acceptable with both, out of a new BLR, ranging from 3/4" to 1 7/8" using an Elite 4200 3-9x40 that I borrowed from a safe queen. I was getting flaky readings on my friend's chrony so I decided to not record any velocity data.

Pressure signs, flattened primers, were barely perceptible with the hottest IMR-3031 loads and they felt a bit stiffer than the IMR-4064. Best groups were from the faster loads with both powders.

Next trip I'll have a new chrony up and will repeat the same loads. I'll also be trying out some 225gr Sierra GK's and 250gr Speer GS bullets.

I have lots of Varget but didn't bother loading any based on what I've read about space issues with this powder.

Trying to get my hands on some Ramshot TAC but can't find it anywhere.

I'm on the road and can't get to my logs for numbers, so won't post any load combos. This is probably ancient history too, and the powders may not be availaible any more. Haven't checked. But a # of years back I was given five 8-pound cans of Winchester 748 and three cans of Winchester 760. In all three of my 358's the 748 turned out the most accurate loads of all powders I tried with any 200 grain bullet. The same was true with 250 grain bullets and 760. So good in fact, that I quit messing around any other powders. Since I still have about half of it left, I'm not going to be trying anything new for a long time. If you can come across either powder, it's definitely worth a try.

Arrow 358 win powder

I've tried several different powders in my Ruger and came up with the same as Brownbear 748 gives me the best accuracy and velocity of any tried with 200 grain bullets ..

Quote Originally Posted by ANGCorsair View Post
    I just finished my first 358Win loads using 200gr Rem Core-Lokts and IMR-3031 and IMR 4064. I started both at 46.0grs and stopped at 48.5grs. Loads were starting to approach my comfort level as far as compression goes so I stopped at this level. This being a new cartrdige for me.

Groups were acceptable with both, out of a new BLR, ranging from 3/4" to 1 7/8" using an Elite 4200 3-9x40 that I borrowed from a safe queen. I was getting flaky readings on my friend's chrony so I decided to not record any velocity data.

Pressure signs, flattened primers, were barely perceptible with the hottest IMR-3031 loads and they felt a bit stiffer than the IMR-4064. Best groups were from the faster loads with both powders.

Next trip I'll have a new chrony up and will repeat the same loads. I'll also be trying out some 225gr Sierra GK's and 250gr Speer GS bullets.

I have lots of Varget but didn't bother loading any based on what I've read about space issues with this powder.

Trying to get my hands on some Ramshot TAC but can't find it anywhere.
    I picked up some CL PSP from midway and thu they will work they were not the lower cannelure that the whelen has but a extreamly high cannelure for the 350rem (i guess). I bet their the same bullet with just the placement of the cannelure changed. What did you have? And these are not what the whelen used to have as the 200gr CL PSP these are very pointed more so than the hornady Spire point is. The only reason I load 200gr bullets is white tail deer and both expand very well very fast. If hornady made a 225gr Spire point it would be my go to bullet for deer / black bear in a more cost effective bullet than the mighty partition which it this is the best for the 358win and elk/moose

The Rem CL PSP that I have were a recent Midway value-pack purchase also.
    The cannelure is fairly high, .430 from the base.

I'm not really sure why I measured from the base... not home now. Wish I had measured to the ogive and tip. I could have figured out what OAL they were trying to meet with this cannelure and give you a better reply as to what round these may have been designed for.

I'll be home in a day or so and re-measure.

I was hoping that either this head or the Hornady 200gn spire point would work out for my Whitetail load. I'll probably use the best of the 250gn shootout I have planned for heavier beasts.

For the 250 grain speer hot-cor, the best powder I've found for my personal load is a compressed load of IMR 4895 for both velocity, and accuracy with no signs of excessive pressure. I dropped the charges with a spiral funnel......that is the key. I will not state how much powder i used because It's a bit more over the listed max load in the speer manual....and with a larger COAL. The 200 grain hornady interlok did not do well for me on my last moose (as stated before) and will never use this bullet again. I believe i used W748 on that 200 grain load and was getting 3/4" groups no matter if it was a starting load, or a full power load........good accurate load in my blr......just not a good bullet for moose. Here is a pic of the 200 grain load that blood shot a bunch of meat due to the violent upset (core serperated from jacket). Yes Smitty of the North.....I brightened the picture up for yah.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 200 grainer.jpg  

Smile

How do you like the 225gr partition for it expantion rate? I need a fast expander for deer. The 200gr interlock takes a lot of expantion before it looses its core the Sierra simple spits its out with extremely limited expantion so I am scared to use it peroid.

I did not get a exit hole with the 200gr spire and did not find the bullet either? MV was 2450fps and the distance 60 yards. A 150lb buck not big at all.

From you photo of the 200gr spire piont the CL SPS I have, have the cannelure right at the very top of the shank can't be 0.010" of shank above the cannelure.

The older CL PSP I have used in the whelen punch clean through the three bucks I used it on, DRT all three.

The 200gn Rem CL PSP I have measure .7" from cannelure center to tip. This would lead me to believe that they were designed for the 350 RemMag. They resemble the Hornady SP that Mainer has in regards to shank above the cannelure.

When loaded for my 358Win my max OAL has to be <2.78" to fit in my magazine. I went for 2.70" OAL and the cannelure was just edging into my case mouth.

I have heard that these hold up well thru deer and Black bear. I'm sure the partitions will work fine on deer but I don't see the need for them on deer. The Speer 220gn FN are supposedly lights out on deer and Black Bear, you just have a range penalty when using them.

The Speer 220gn FN are supposedly lights out on deer and Black Bear, you just have a range penalty when using them.
    I've used that bullet a fair bit in the 35 Remington (both rifle and Contender) and the 357 Herret. Never recovered one from a deer, but speed of kill and exit hole tells me they expanded but held together well. Just never got around to trying it in 358, but I'd have no qualms.

Thumbs up H322

I have a Browning BLR in 358 Win and load H322 with 225gr Sierra GK.

All the Hornady/Speer/Sierra in 225gr perform well on game because the Velocity is not very high in this cal.

The Rem 200gr PSP works excellent in the 350 Mag.......great on deer/black bear........should be the same in the 358 Win.

Red face Tjen

They resemble the Hornady SP that Mainer has in regards to shank above the cannelure.
    My memory served me wrong, the Rem CL PSP I have are exactly as you described. There is no shank above the cannelure. Basically .43" from base to cannelure and then an average of .7" to tip from cannelure.

Local sporting goods store had a 20&#37; off of all Nosler bullets special this week so I grabbed 100 each of the 225gn and 250gn Partitions. Now I'll have a 3 way shoot-off for my 250gn selection. Whoa! Going to need more brass. Wish I coiuld find some Tac powder.

Midway is the only one I know to buy bulk rem bullets that are not sold by rem as compents. I asked midway too look in to carring the whelen cannelured 200gr CL PSP so maybe we may see them offered in the future.

I whish for a inexpensive 225gr corelokt or interlock pointed or RN doesn't matter to me. They Accubond is cheaper than the partition but both have the same inpact velocities. I tried to save money in working up loads with the sierra but its more time effective to just use partitions so thats how I will proceed.