Thread: Wild mushrooms

Default Wild mushrooms

For some time now I have been interested in gathering wild mushrooms. I am going to get some books to ID the good ones but I have heard you should still learn from someone who has gathered them before to be safe. I live in Fairbanks and am wondering if there is anyone in the interior who teaches mushrooms gathering classes or leads instructional groups? If nothing else maybe we could get a group to gather here.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default I'm interested!

I would also be interested in a class. wondering about morels in Alaska. I have heard year old burns are the place to start but haven't had any luck so far.

mike

It should be a great year for morels up there. Its pretty hard to mis-ID those.

My brother is a commercial buyer down in Oregon/Washington/Idaho, and he's planning on buying out of Fairbanks this summer. He's banking on a big buy.
    Nice Marmot.

As soon as the ground is ice free till mid june you can find morels. There are false morels, but it is easy to tell the difference. The areas that burned last year will be the easiest pickings. The Eagle River nature center does a class every spring, and Im sure the fairbanks extension office will have a class too. You can read about mushrooms all you want but until someone shows you the correct one you will never be confident. Good luck.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I emailed the eagle river nature center and they said they did not have a Fairbanks extension office. I think it must be getting close to mushroom time soon so if anyone knows any other possibilities of mushroom classes or instruction that would be great.

The UAF Extension office has a lot of info on morels. Just do a search for morels and Fairbanks to find it. I'd be interested in a local gathering of shroom hunters.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Thanks, that must have been the extension office that garnede was talking about. I will check it out.

In Fairbanks the best sorce to call would be Tim Morey from the newsminer, (yea he's pissed me off with some of his reporting latley,) but he has been out there and can tell you something about them.

From past experiances it has been around fathers day , a day or two before to a couple of days after. Short period of time for the "morels"

Found about seven morels today around Caswell Lakes. Looked at a spot I've been stopping at for years and years. They were growing in old horsetails. Very nice.

Default morels

I keep hearing Morels are around burn areas. Are recent burn areas from last year more productive than burn areas from a few years ago.?

I've heard that the best areas for morels are areas that burned the year before, with productivity decreasing as time goes on.

Does anyone know of certain areas around fairbanks that burned last year? I know of the one up by murphy dome, is that a hikeable distance? I don't have a quad to reach any way-back places and I don't think I could talk the husband into going if it's a looong hike.

I used to go morel hunting every year when I lived back in MI, but I haven't really looked around here too hard and I'd like to get out and find some again.

There are some road accessible areas around Healy that were burned within the last two years. That's where I would start looking.

first and second years after a fire are the best for morels, with a substantial decrease by year 3.

I have also found them in many other areas of disturbance including on lawns, trails, etc.

the one thing working against you on the fires near nenana / anderson (railbelt complex fires) is that they did not burn right by the highway so as far as access you may have to work at it (I think these fires are what brian is referring to). Better would probably be way out the steese just before circle, the crazy mountains complex, which burned both sides of the highway I believe.

Morels and hordes of mosquitos seem to flock together, enjoy.

This pdf has a good summary of major fires last year including maps of those I mentioned and others
    http://fire.ak.blm.gov/content/aicc/stats/2009.pdf

If you get on a bounty mushrooms are very easy to dry, just string them up with a needle and thread and hang them in a sunny window and they will last virtually forever that way.