Thread: Seeking advice on side by side ATV/MTV

Default Seeking advice on side by side ATV/MTV

Good Day, My family and I live remote and use a 4 wheeler and 6 wheeler for hard work and ferrying supplies from the river to our home a mile away. The trails are kinda of narrow, rough in spots with slight sidehill. The water hole is a steep bank that the 4 wheeler and 6 wheeler come up with carrying a load, but we are concerned that a side by side might not. We need a good, serviceable side by side that can carry a load in the back (bigger box is necessary) and pull a trailer (sometimes). It will never be used for speed but will be worked hard. The machine will have to come in over the ice or be rafted down in the summer so the machine needs to be sounds as there is just no way to get it back and forth for repairs. What have you found that works the best and is the most reliable as a work vehicle? Thank You, Scarlett

Default Side by side

To be honest with you in my situation I consider I work my equipment but don't abuse it so I tried doing all the home work on a machine that could do what I want.
    I bought an 09 700 Rhino. I have had the clutch replaced twice the first was stock then had a clutch kit installed was better but still did not last. The dealer has put in as agressive clutch kit as they could so we will see. I know I work with two guys that have Rhinos and they have not had any problems.
    Another buddy has an 09 polaris ranger and has minor problems.
    If I could do it all over again I would just wait to see how well the Honda works out. I did not go with it because it was its first year out.
    I do like the ride of the Rhino way better then a wheeler.
    Hope this helps a little.

For most terrains, if an ATV you straddle can get through it, a side-by-side can do AT LEAST as well. The one thing you can't do with a side-by-side is rock it if you get stuck in mud. You can probably climb and descend steeper hills with a SxS than you can a regular ATV, but sidehilling might be a little more restrictive, since you can't really shift your weight much.

That said, obviously, the tires you have on whatever machine you choose will have a significant impact. Winches are also highly recommended

I've had a Rzr for the past two years--however, it sounds like you'll be needing a machine with more carrying capacity. Besides the Rhino, keep in mind that this year Polaris is introducing a mid-sized Ranger--the Ranger 400. The full-sized Ranger is a real workhorse, but check your trails to make sure that you have enough width to accommodate one of these.

My wife bought a 2009 Ranger XP LE last fall. I had my doubts on going on narrow trails and how it would handle muck and overall performance. All I can say is I am overly impressed with it. Went everywhere we wanted to go. Handles great and as far as dependability, do the research, I don't think your gonna get a better side by side than a polaris. I wouldn't by a regular Polaris ATV as I have nothing but bad luck with them. I like Honda. Will I ever buy an ATV again. NO way. I'm sold on the Ranger XP. My favorite comfort features is a warm seat (sitting nthe engine) and payload. You can bring the kitchen sink with you.

Thanks for all the info! It is giving me a place to start.

Default Ranger

I have an 08' Ranger XP, I have had only one problem with it. The throttle cable froze up on me last winter due to water in the cable shielding. Other than that, zero problems. I can carry way more gear than I will ever need on a trip, the payload is amazing. As far as width, I have only ran into one trail that I could not get through (Rippy Trail), but you can always cut a wider trail to your place if you need to. When side hilling if it is steep I just scoot over to the passenger side to shift my weight. The breaks are amazing as I have been down some slopes that are way steeper than recommended with down hill hair pin turns that if missed send you careening into the deep abyss. I love my Ranger, but now I'm wishing for the new 2010 6x6!

Quote Originally Posted by bushalaska View Post
    Good Day, My family and I live remote and use a 4 wheeler and 6 wheeler for hard work and ferrying supplies from the river to our home a mile away. The trails are kinda of narrow, rough in spots with slight sidehill. The water hole is a steep bank that the 4 wheeler and 6 wheeler come up with carrying a load, but we are concerned that a side by side might not. We need a good, serviceable side by side that can carry a load in the back (bigger box is necessary) and pull a trailer (sometimes). It will never be used for speed but will be worked hard. The machine will have to come in over the ice or be rafted down in the summer so the machine needs to be sounds as there is just no way to get it back and forth for repairs. What have you found that works the best and is the most reliable as a work vehicle? Thank You, Scarlett
    There is no way that anyone can tell you for sure that any vehicle will meet your particular needs 100% but The Rhino or the Ranger sounds like it will work to me. I don't own a Ranger but have had Polaris ATVs in the past. I have had issues with their ATVs and even larger issues with their dealership (parks hwy/truck road location). I sold my Popo in 2008 and was glad to be rid of it.

One thing to keep in mind about UTVs. They are large and heavy. If you get one stuck it usually takes 2 ATVs or another UTV to pull it out. One ATV will not do the job. As far as side-hilling goes...UTV are not like ATVs because you can't shift your weight to the uphill side as easy and a lot of times it wouldn't matter anyway. They are great climbers going strait up hill. I have a picture of my buddy climbing a hill that I will post below. My Rhino 660 climbed the same hill but I didn't get pictures of it. You can use the picture for reference purposes and compare it to the hills you will be climbing. The picture does not do the hill any justice but it is about 70 feet high.

As far as reliability goes...once again, each machine is different but I have had great luck with my Rhino. Over 1500 miles and the only thing I have had done was oil changes. People will tell you Honda is the most reliable machine out there and that may have been true 20 years ago but every manufacturer has made great strides in quality improvement over the years. I have heard great things about the Ranger and I know the Rhino has been great.

The honda UTV only has 3 wheel drive since it doesn't have a fully locking differential. The Popo and Yammy both have true 4x4.

Is fuel mileage a consideration? If so, I know the Rhino gets a lot better fuel mileage than the Popo 800cc motor. Maybe something else to consider.

You can improve a UTVs side-hilling ability and feel by adding aftermarket tires and rims. They will widen your UTV by a couple inches. You can also add 1 - 2 inch wheel spacers for more width. This helps out tremendously!!!

You might also want to look at adding a clutch kit for more low range power since you said you will be climbing hills and top speed is not an issue. A clutch kit will reduce your top end speed a little but you will gain a lot of power on the lower end. Just one more thing to look at.

Hope this helps some...
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Look if you are serius that this machine is a way of life and not so much for fun you have to get an argo. they are used all over in alaska in the remote villages and are sinple machines to work on yourself. they have more than fixed any bugs that might have been in them over the last 40 years. They have a huge payload cap. and towing cap. and if you get the tracks too they are nearly unstoppable. great for summer and winter work. unlike a sxs that even if you get tracks can not campare to the woprkablility of an argo. or even a mudd ox for that matter. I own an argo and if you want a machine that is going to last and work hard for you, you need one or a muddox

Quote Originally Posted by ARGONUT View Post
    Look if you are serious that this machine is a way of life and not so much for fun you have to get an argo. they are used all over in alaska in the remote villages and are simple machines to work on yourself. they have more than fixed any bugs that might have been in them over the last 40 years. They have a huge payload cap. and towing cap. and if you get the tracks too they are nearly unstoppable. great for summer and winter work. unlike a sxs that even if you get tracks can not compare to the woprkablility of an argo. or even a mudd ox for that matter. I own an argo and if you want a machine that is going to last and work hard for you, you need one or a muddox
    My only issue with the Argos (in the past) is a lack of suspension. Has that been changed with the newer models? I went riding in one on a rocky, rough, trail and didn't really enjoy the ride. Otherwise, I would tend to agree with you. Add the rubber (not plastic) tracks to the argo and you have a pretty much unstoppable machine unless you have to cross fast moving water where flotation is not your friend.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I agree. they do ride better with the 2010's less jerky with the new transmition for steering but the same over rough terrain they are not bad if you go slow though. But from the sounds of what they are asking for they need a reliable work horse not a comfy pleasure rider.

Default Rzr4

Looked at a RZR4 yesterday at ER Polaris and wow is it ever long! Would not want to try to ride it on any of the technical trails in South Central. May be OK for riding out at Jim Creek if you can get past the moguls at the start by the parking lot.

Default Razors are GTG

Dude
    Dont worry about getting around on a RZR. If it fits between the trees it ll go. I took my Rhino up to Eska falls with no problems. Thats about as technical as a trail gets. The RZR is smaller than a Rhino and has more power and better traction. I would have gotten a RZR myself if the bed size wasn't so small.

Houser

PS. Never mind I just looked @ the RZR (4) It has a 103" Wheel base. The Rhino is just 75"

Default Polaris Ranger XP 700

Bush,
    I have remote property that I haul lumber, supplies, and the family to every weekend during the summer. I started out with a 8x8 Argo, and sold that to get a Ranger XP. The Ranger XP has been a great machine. I also have Polaris 6 wheeler. The Ranger will out pull loads up the bluff hands down! I think the difference is that it weighs more, and gets more bite on the 4 tire on the ground. I found out the hard way while trying to haul a load of lumber.

The six wheeler will do a little better in the swamp. The Ranger will ceoss swamps just like a four wheeler. The Ranger will also cross streams better than the six wheeler or four wheeler. My shifter cables did get water in them and froze up. I have been putting anti-freeze in them to address this problem.
    Side hilling is not fun in a SxS, you can not lean and limited to just hanging on.

All in all, my Ranger is my work horse for hauling and towing.