Thread: Getting ready to get started

Default Getting ready to get started

I am getting ready to start getting my pilot training in Fairbanks. I will be working up there, and away from the family for about 4 days per week, so I figured that I would go thru ground school and fly every day that I am there. Will work to get the private, then get float cert, and work toward the IFR rating. I will look to purchase a plane, or rent one to build hours in while commuting from Wasilla to Fairbanks on the weekends. I need some advice from you experienced pilots:

Is there a recommended program to enter in Fairbanks, and a good instructor to hook up with? Cessna program? Individual? Kings?

I will get my certs first, then look for an airplane to purchase - do you have a recommendation on what aircraft to look at? I am an avid hunter and fisherman, and want to get where the good stuff is, and away from the crowds. Don't need a large heavy useable load aircraft, just one that I can get in and out with, and have fun with. Any recommendations in the $30,000 range?

Any other advice on getting started would be appreciated. I just want to get out and have fun with my family, and also get away from it all.....don't just want to be another guy with a jet boat, air boat or 4 wheeler that goes where others have been. Don't get me wrong, I own a jet boat now, and have had the snowmachines and 4 wheelers, just want something more.

Thanks for the help!

akokhunter

Default Flt trainging

Contact Steven Green at Warbelow's, cant say enough good things about him

$30,000 for something decent??? Lots of luck! That's barely a couple of atvs anymore.

My suggestion... get licensed and certified FIRST. Then worry about what to buy so you're not "just another guy".

Got my pacer for was less than 30 grand. Had it almost four years and its been an amazing little aircraft.

You can probably find a nice little Champ for under $30K. It might be a little short legged for trips from ANC to FAI. That would definitely be a time builder!

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Have fun getting your tickets.

A mechanically sound Taylorcraft or an Aeronca Chief with a Continental 85 can be had for 20-25K if you take your time and shop around.

Default Flying club memberships??

Thanks for the help.

Next question. Flying clubs. Is it good to be in one if you are planning to fly a bunch? If I get into a club, how hard is it to schedule flights for daily use to train and build time? And for cross country flights, is it better to lease an airplane if I am planning to commute over a weekend, or be in the club?

Default clubs, planes

Just a thought,
    Get your own plane, learn to work on it and fly it. Buy something that does most of what you want and is economical for time building. I agree with the others...champ is a good choice or maybe a J3..you could find a decent one for the mid 30's. I've seen a few around for sale so if you pm me, I can get you some more info if you like... Plane shopping is fun, but a lot of work. good luck

Thumbs up Warbelow's

I second the recommendation for any of the Warbelow's guys. I have heard good things about Steve Green and I am currently 25 hours into my private certification with Brian Finch and couldn't be happier with the way it is going. The program is well organized and you always know what is next. Availability is almost never a problem with Brian. I don't think the guy ever takes time off. Unless he is instructing someone else he is almost always available. Yesterday he and another instructor actually flew out to Nenanna to pick me up. I had been stuck in a snowstorm for 7 hours with bad vis and a low ceiling. Brian right seated back with me. I was expecting rental fees for the other airplane and 2X instructor fees for the trip out there and back. I only got charged for the instructor time on the way back to Fairbanks.