Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beluga Black Bear?

Default Beluga Black Bear?

Got an offer to fly over to Beluga this spring for Black Bear and have searched but can't really find alot of info, so has anyone flown over and hunted that area? I realize that the area was opened up last year due to bear problems so any and all info and advice is welcome!

I have a cabin and 4-wheeler at my disposal and was looking at mid April to fly over from Anchorage. but other than that i am lost! Thanks

Default Beluga

I know a couple of guys that ran a bait station over there in the past did real well. Couple of blacks over 8' and a brownie over 10' using primitive archery. They always went in late May, good luck.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Default Beluga west of anchorage?

If you are talking about the beluga river area west of anchorage then the offer is a great one I have worked over there and the place is crawling with bears both brown and black, I believe you are allowed two brownies there a year and three blackies unless you have a predator control permit then there is no limit on black bear. there are a few ways to hunt it over there if you have access to an atv then you can travel the roads or the beach the beach will be better I have found hunting on the water that low tide is best and they come closer to the water I think they dig for clams and I have seen them eating kelp too. Or you can set up a bait station and that is very productive as well with as many bears that are there it shouldnt take long to get something on it.
    In April you probubly wont see much other than brown bears as it is a little early for blacks, they will be better around the 2nd week of may. Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Yeah I realize it will be early, but my hunting partner will be leaving the state in May, and he put alot of work in last year for me to get a Blackie so we are heading over mid April! Praying for early spring.

Not enough time for a bait station so it will be a spot and stalk. (hopefully)

Thumbs up

Go prepared to shoot a Brown Bear. During that time frame, you are more likely going to see them, than Black Bears. The best time to hit the Blacks down that low, is when the holligan are coming in. The creeks are full of both.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

mid april, half the brownies will still be in the holes as well.they'll be popin' out though, keep your eyes high for tracks in the snow, don't know much about beach bears over there though..
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

There aren't nearly as many blackies over there as there used to be. Loads of Brown bears though, especially at night. It's been hunted pretty hard around there in the spring the last few years.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    There aren't nearly as many blackies over there as there used to be. Loads of Brown bears though, especially at night. It's been hunted pretty hard around there in the spring the last few years.
    Yep. Not what it was a couple of years ago. Good luck in April but don't have high expectations in April. This first blacks don't show up til early May. Our baits don't usually don't get hit until about the 20th or so.

KLICKMAN

Good info! I'm the hunting partner. Thanks and keep it coming if you have it! Does anyone know if the barge or a flight would be a better way of transportation with gear and possibly a bear or two on the return?

You can fly with Spernak air. They're used to flying guys in and out with gear and bear.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Beluga Black Bears in April

You won't see many black bears in April. What you do see are liable to be big ones. Good Luck and good hunting!

Better bring your snowmachine

Thanks for the tip on Spernak! I am hoping with the warm spells we have been having and some of the threads I have been reading we might have better luck than normal!

Default beluga

i have a duck shack over there. I shot my first bear over there off of the theadore when i was 8 years old. 7ft 1in. I have baited over there and i cant get food out fast enough between the bears cleaning it out.

Well end of April has turned into mid May! Spernak Air is flying us over Friday morning. Any last words of wisdom would be appreciated but we are stoked! Hopefully we get what we are after! Thanks again for everyones input on this thread!

Default I'll going over Wednesday

I don't know if anyone will be hunting with me. If not, stop by and you can use my bait stations. I'll be in town till 1:00PM. You can call me at 248-1782. I report in every night to check messages.

Default Deere2500

What is it costing you to fly both ways? I'm thinking of either flying over or taking a boat.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

150 round trip!

If your not seeing many bears, don't be surprised, it is still a tad early. Put all bait in the barrel, otherwise the Griz will come in every night and clean house. Good luck to you, post some pics if you can.

good luck! wish i could go with ya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast