Thread: Game board drops tag fees for Interior brown bears

Default Game board drops tag fees for Interior brown bears

"...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

In addition to getting rid of grizzly bear tag fees in Interior hunting units, the board also voted to:

Allow registered guide-outfitters to register up to 10 black bear bait stations at a time in units 12, 19, 20, 21, 24 and 25, as long as they are established and maintained by the guide-outfitter, licensed class-A assistant guides or assistant guides. The guide-outfitter must have a signed guide-client agreement.

Eliminate black bear sealing requirements in areas where harvest tickets or registration permits are required.

Allow black bear hunters in unit 20 the option of salvaging the hide or meat or both from June 1 to Dec. 31.
    I think the ruling on the sealing of black bears is a little more newsworthy than the eliminated tag fee, but money talks I guess.

Hopefully the guide allowance of 10 bait stations for black bears won't cut off any resident users. I have a feeling in some areas there will be conflict with hunters vs commercial operations based on this.

As for the tag fee, I'm glad to see it gone for up north. I think they need to either have one, or not have one. I got to cash in on two of my $25 locking tags in 26B, so they were worth it for the 8 years that I've bought them.

I guess you can legally leave the fur on the ground now in unit 20 after June 1st. I never realized it was always required to take it out after June 1st.

Glad to see sealing gone if they're going to require harvest tickets. I'd rather see it go back to sealing-only and no harvest tickets needed for black bears, but doing both is redundant.

As for the meat-or-hide salvage requirements, I hope they do that in the rest of the state. Additionally, it should be meat-only required in the spring.

Thumbs up

A few tiny steps in the right direction.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Glad to see sealing gone if they're going to require harvest tickets. I'd rather see it go back to sealing-only and no harvest tickets needed for black bears, but doing both is redundant.

Why would you like to see it go back to the sealing only? Seems like it would be alot easier to just send in a harvest ticket rather than hauling your hide down to fish and game, especially if you take your bear on a weekend and have to sit on it until Monday when they open back up.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Why would you like to see it go back to the sealing only? Seems like it would be alot easier to just send in a harvest ticket rather than hauling your hide down to fish and game, especially if you take your bear on a weekend and have to sit on it until Monday when they open back up.
    Because requiring harvest tickets seems like it will cut down on the incidental take of black bears. I don't have hard numbers, but it seems like a lot of black bears are taken when folks are out hunting other species, fishing, or just out and about. If those folks don't have a harvest ticket in hand, they can't pull the trigger. With the push to harvest more black bears in various regions of the state, it seems like the harvest ticket requirement works against that goal.

OK here goes.It should be my right not to have to buy a tag also.Just because the interior has more voters the SE should have it all too as its our right,right.

Sealing also lets the biologist get a good look at the animals and make better decisions about the health of the species.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

1 currently sealing requirements are only dropped in INTERIOR units that have harvest tags and comes into effect JULY 1 2010

2 unit {sub} 20B will still have sealing requirements due to hunter density and 500+ bears a year... as of June 1 HIDE OR Meat can be removed... the skull in 20B will require sealing..My prop for meat or hide June 1-Dec 31 is effective ALL of unit 20. and begins

JULY 1 2010....

so dont get excited this spring as the regulatory year still has to end the new REGS DO NOT TAKE EFFECT UNTIL

JULY 1st
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Sealing also lets the biologist get a good look at the animals and make better decisions about the health of the species.
    More often than not, it is just a Tech doing the dirty work. Bios sometimes get stuck with it, but it is always pop a tooth, measure skull, tag it and walk off. I think it is pretty common knowledge how well the Black Bears are doing.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Yes, you're right, tech's do the work. But all that data is collected for use, it isn't just measured and thrown out.

i'd like to see the black bear hide and/OR meat salvage be a statewide thing...
    a week earlier resident sheep season..that'll never happen. they won't even give out archery tags at the begining of sheep season in 14C, gotta wait till the sheep have been scared senseless for two months...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Shoot 'em up!

There appears to be a strong effort developing for predator control.

If that is the goal, this is a step in the right direction.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I'm happy with all of this. Given the number of grizz we have around here, they need to let us start baiting as well.
    As for the changes to black bear....awesome! I'm a meat hunter. I really could care less about bear hides. This means less stuff I have to pack out after I kill one.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I am told that shooting Griz over bait was brought up at the meetings. I guess that one didn't get through.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Because requiring harvest tickets seems like it will cut down on the incidental take of black bears. I don't have hard numbers, but it seems like a lot of black bears are taken when folks are out hunting other species, fishing, or just out and about. If those folks don't have a harvest ticket in hand, they can't pull the trigger. With the push to harvest more black bears in various regions of the state, it seems like the harvest ticket requirement works against that goal.
    I agree. I don't purposely target black bears and only see them as targets of opportunity when out moose hunting, berry picking and such. Especially since I'm currently living outside black bear territory and only get to get up into the interior for any length of time in the fall.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I am told that shooting Griz over bait was brought up at the meetings. I guess that one didn't get through.
    the board wants to restrict it to units with predator control already in place

I could care less about the $25 locking tag for grizz, it would be nice to be able to whack em over bait though. The population numbers for grizzly in the interior IMO are on the rise, and removing the locking tag IMO wont do much for reducing the numbers some.

With the tag fee requirement, any hunter out hunting needs the tag in his pocket to shoot. With no tag fee, any licensed hunter can shoot.
    Made for a big increase in harvest in unit 22 years ago.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!