Thread: Marten trapping questions

Default Marten trapping questions

I would like to get out in the next couple of weeks and trap a couple of marten. I've been reading throught a lot of the posts and have been getting some great ideas. I do have a some more questions for anyone willing to help get me started. I want to build some cubbies and want to understand exactly how the conibear is held in when the box is placed vertically on the tree. I'm assuming that the springs are wedged but I don't know. I'd rather ask the question than rebuild cubbies. Also should I be concerned with trap preparation (dying & waxing) and human scent when trapping Marten? I was also wondering if anyone has any suggestions for helping me determine a trapping location. I've read black spruce forests and bogs are good locations, but was wondering if elevation and other factors (food source) will help me narrow down areas. I definately appreciate anyones help.

Scent is not an issue. We boiled our traps, but did not wax or dye them. The traps are held in by wedging the springs. We looked for tracks in the black spruce and set accordingly.

Default marten cubbies

I'm using inexpensive black plastic ''planter'' buckets for my cubbies. Here's a pic of one on a small spruce

I was in a bit of a rush that morning, and that's a real old bucket that has been trashed by marten and bears, so it's kind of funky, but normally I cut two slots in the bucket for the springs and the 120s fit inside fairly good and tight. No need to boil marten traps, worry about scent etc. I use small bit of fish for bait inside bucket dangling above the trap. You can also put the bait on the trigger. Good luck.

Default forgot to mention...

...about location of sets. There are lot of areas where marten don't generally go, like middle of open flats. Look for tracks; marten have regular traveling routes they use. They like little creeks along the riparian zones. In the dead of winter in the interior, they seem to favor the uplands and foothills where it is warmer, and where they hunt bunnies and grouse and squirrels and voles, though you can still catch them down low.

Default Thanks to Bushrat and Kusko!

Thanks to Bushrat and Kusko for the information. I was also wondering if anyone has an opinion on conibear 120 traps? I currently have some 110's but understand that they may not kill Marten very quickly. I'm looking at buying some 120's and was wondering if there's any brand I should stay away from? I typically use Victor traps but haven't seen any locally. I'm seeing the Bridger 120's in town, but don't have any experience with that brand.

Default coni clips

i prefer conbear clips. this also allows me to use 110's or 120's both work very well. also you can put on poles if like.as far as martian go. look for tracks. thats were the martian are.

Default Marten

Don't forget that if you are local 99567, All of unit 14 closed the end of December....