Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Coverage in Whittier

Default Cell Coverage in Whittier

Do AT&T cell phones work in Whittier? ACS does fine but I think they use a different system than AT&T.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    Do AT&T cell phones work in Whittier? ACS does fine but I think they use a different system than AT&T.

Thanks
    AT&T phones work in the town, but not out in the Sound.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Copper Valley

I have Copper Valley and I can reach Valdez from the entrance at the light house. There are spots that don't work or have bad reception. I can even text from my bear stand out there if I hold the phone correctly and the wind is blowing right.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Thanks

I'm looking into getting an iPhone and just wanted to see if it would work where I play.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    I'm looking into getting an iPhone and just wanted to see if it would work where I play.

Boater,

I got roped into an Iphone and switched from ACS to AT&T. I was lead to believe it would work everywhere I was planning on going. I regret every minute it. Once you leave Turnagain Arm you loose all reception until you get to Moose Pass or Cooper Landing and you only have it for a couple of miles. Spotty from Soldotna to Homer. You do have service in Kachemak Bay but once you pass Pogi Pt, you loose it. In Seward once you pass the bridge into town you have spotty reception until you get into town itself. Leave the harbor and you loose reception just before you get to Lowell Pt. With ACS I had reception up to Callisto and with an external antenna I had it every where in the bay. Never went into PWS with it. Can't wait until my contract is up and go back to ACS.

ACS coverage in the sound is pretty good. Even w/o an external antenna I've gotten reception on the S end of Culross island tucked behind Applegate, and in the lagoon at Disk Island. Even though our ACS bill has been getting bigger with the phones and blackberry we added, the coverage is very good.

I hear At&T was suppose to a tower on Naked Island.. I assume that hasn't happen.
    For me, while in Whitter I loose reception at Pigot Point.
    Seward just a couple miles out of the harbour.
    Homer is another story. Usually a few mile from the green bouy I get reception. HOWEVER, When I go out side the bay sometimes I can recieve calls but not make them. Also I can recieve texts.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default GCI Piggyback

I'm told that if there is GCI service then an AT&T phone will work. I saw that first hand when I was in a village out of Kotzebue last week. My ACS phone was useless, the other guy had an iPhone and had good signal.

When I look at the GCI coverage map, they are all over the place out in the rural areas. The map also indicates that they will be adding coverage in Chenega, Tatitlek, and Cordova this year. IF those 3 locations are indeed added, that may really open up PWS to phone service.

AT&T works fine around Cordova and out on the Copper River Delta as well. I got coverage around Whittier a couple miles out from the harbor. While in PWS it was spotty, but worked out by Hinchenbrook Entrance. I know ACS has better coverage for the sound as a whole, but AT&T wasn't too bad. Around Valdez I had to be in the Narrows before I got coverage.

I've carried my AT&T iPhone (personal) and AT&T BlackBerry (work) on just about every trip I've done out of Whittier in the past seasons, and have noticed that I cannot maintain a signal on either phone once making my way past Pigot Point. If you draw a straight line from Pigot Point to Decision Point, you will have a very good idea of the limit of AT&T's range in PWS. The only other spot I've gotten reception in the western portion of PWS was deep in Blackstone Bay. I'm most positive that signal was simply bouncing over the mountain from Whittier. While it is a bit sad that we don't get reception on the water, I have to admit, it is quite nice to really "get away from it all". Remember, you've always got the trusty VHF in case of an emergency. I personally don't like getting work calls when fishing anyways. Oh, and I won't miss the wonderful nagging of the wife from a hundred miles away either...

On ACS there are pockets. The best reception on ACS when out in the Sound is straight out in front of Main Bay, and you can generally get reception out towards the north tip of Knight Island. Other than that, though, reception is spotty at best. So yes, you do lose reception past Pigot, but you can get it back in front of Main Bay if you're a ways offshore.

How about Verizon?

Verizon operates off of AT&T towers up here in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    Verizon operates off of AT&T towers up here in AK.
    I don't believe that is correct. AT&T has a GSM network while Verizon is CDMA, right? I believe they piggy back off of ACS.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I don't believe that is correct. AT&T has a GSM network while Verizon is CDMA, right? I believe they piggy back off of ACS.
    Thats right, ACS uses Verizon but there is no Verizon service up here. Figuer that one out.... When you travel your ACS service uses Verizon.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Oops, I stand corrected!

My sister works for Verizon corporate, in Missoula, and uses it up here without issues. Packages down there are much cheaper.

My ACS phone gets signal in most areas of the Sound if I am plugged into my external antenna. The external antenna port is going to be a thing of the past in the very new future. If we are going to want our signal boosted, we will have to use a wireless booster/antenna combo.

Default Cell phone appetizer

I threw away my table top popper and just use my cell phone around Whittier:

http://bit.ly/97xQQl

I have no idea how this is done,

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac-chief-51 View Post
    I threw away my table top popper and just use my cell phone around Whittier:

http://bit.ly/97xQQl

I have no idea how this is done,

Looks to me like it is a hoax...

http://gawker.com/395434/whos-trying...es-pop-popcorn
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Dang, that's messed up! I'm adding this to my list of things to try...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast