Thread: Boat cushions

Default Boat cushions

I am looking to build cushions for the vee berth of my 24 foot olympic. Does anyone have any suggestions on foam material or which fabric? Any ideas where to buy foam and fabric locally or any upholsters in SE AK?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and help.

I looked into when I was building my tolman, and the consensus of other Tolman builders was that the right materials to make marine cushions are expensive, and unless you have industrial sewing equipment and experience you might was well pay to have the job done professionally.

I haven't used these folks, but you might want to drop them a line.

http://www.nomaralaska.com/boatshop.htm

In Sitka there's skooum canvas. I might be wrong on the name and spelling. but they're still there on sawmill creek road. I'd give them a call they do good work.Make sure you use a marine grade vinyl. and a good quality foam. some foam will mildew and mold.

using the material that is made for it the key it will cost you to redo the seating at the table in my bayliner 2556 with new foam and fabric marine grade is about 1k in materials and that is having my mom do it. she had the right sewing machine for the job and so far it is not done it looking good. anything you staple should be done with stainless steel she ordered all of the stuff to do it from joanns online non of the stores in anchorage stock the stuff and they almost always have 50% off coupon for an order if you watch

Default Memory Foam Matteress

I built mine out of 8 inch memory foam. You can cut it with an electric carving knife into to shapes you need. I was qouted $1200.00 for my V berth with regular foam. I have twice the bed for $500.00. and double the thickness. My cushions have a fitted sheet on them and it has been working out well.

great thanks for the info guys.
    Hey Salt Chukar, Where did ya get the memory foam? So you didnt upholster it at all? Just the fitted sheet?

My cousin re-did the upholstery/boat cushions on his 26' olympic here in Juneau. He bought foam from Fred Meyers and bought the fabric from JoAnns (JoAnns also sells foam now) in the Nugget mall. He used that fabric that is vinyl naugahide on one side and fabric on the back. Then they sewed zippers into it. IT is essentially making a pillow case for the foam. Price was not much.

Default Memory foam

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in SE View Post
    great thanks for the info guys.
    Hey Salt Chukar, Where did ya get the memory foam? So you didnt upholster it at all? Just the fitted sheet?
    Jason I bought the foam in Whitehorse @ Canadian tire. It was a Obus form queen size foam mattress. No upolstery just some fitted sheets. So far (4years) I have had no problems and it is a great bed!

I bet they sell these at Fred meyer in Juneau, if not let me know and maybe I can help you out.

Chuck

Ok, I got a couple estimates for the cushions. My wife talked me into having it professionly done instead of "ruining" her good sewing machine.

My question now is what to use for the fabic. Viynl or a mildew resist fabric (like sunbrella)? Viynl seems nice and easy to clean and seems like it would be more waterproof, however may not be the most comfy to sleep on.

Im looking for opinions and experience with each...please. Anyone heard of cryton fabric?

Thanks

Default Good Site

http://www.foamsource.com/shop/product/51 I got new V Berth mattresses custom made from here

Default nomar in homer

check out nomaralaska.com they are down in homer rich in the boat shop or kate should be able to help you out with fabric choices and they can make your cushions from a pattern you make and send them out to you

Reynolds marine in Anchorage uses an upholsterer in chugiak, I forgot his name but his number is 688-1257. He did my dinette cushions (mildew resistant marine vinyl w/ 4inch extra firm foam) and my two bunks w/ cloth fabric of my choosing (he has many samples to choose from). I purchased a queen size memory foam from costco and he cut it and laminated it to 3 inch extra firm foam it fit perfectly and looks great. HOWEVER! I would not do the memory foam thing again, I would just go w/ the 4 or 5inch extra firm foam. The memory foam is good if the conditions are right, but its quite heavy and its very stiff till your body heat warms it then its stiff all around the divit your body makes so all in all its not that great on the boat. LOL , I tried to take it off the boat this winter and it was stiff as a board and i had a hard time. Anyway it wasn't the upholstry guys fault i chose memory foam. He did a fantastic job and it cost about 750.00 for the whole thing and he did it on short notice. He specializes in aircraft seats. I'm thinking about taking my sun cracked seat from my kubota and maybe my cracked 4-wheeler seat

Hey thanks for all the imput!

Now my hard question is Vinyl or Sunbrella (or similiar) fabric?

I used to work as an insulator and we used armaflex quite a bit for covering tanks (that didn't get hot). It is pretty similar to the stuff that can coolers are made from. For a foam type material that would be very durable and resistant to rot.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer