Thread: Forster Co-Ax press

Default Forster Co-Ax press

Used a Rock Chucker for about 40 years but grew tired of pinching my fingers when loading the long stuff. After adding the Chapuis 9,3x74R decided to sell the Rock and buy a Ammo Master. Really enjoy the bigger window and will enjoy it more when my 450 Nitro comes in. But the Ammo Master made loading smaller ammo a chore with the longer travel of the arm. Lot more work to load handgun rounds.

Late last year purchased a nice Savage in 6mm Norma BR so decided this would be the time to add a more precise press and went with the Forster Co-Ax. The precision of this press and how it operates is truly amazing. Added the short arm to it as well as the plate that will accept standard shell holders.

Wifey bought me a RCBS Partner press for xmas so decided to set it up just for handgun rounds. Well, after loading up several hundred rounds I just can't use it anymore. It is a fine press, compact and works well but the Co-Ax has totally spoiled me. Tomorrow the Partner is coming off the bench and all the dies will be reset to be used with the Co-Ax.

I thought the sun set and rose around "regular" presses and really like my RCBS stuff. But if you havent tried a Forster Co-Ax press you should give one a try. However, it is not the press if you are loading long rounds like the 300 Wby, 375 H&H, etc.
    Tennessee

I have had two of them and they both scared the heck out of me for the same reason. I will not prime off of them when I had them as I fan't keep my right forearm skin from crawling. The idea of a primer going off into my skin of my forearm is just nuts. I have had more stuck cases while reloading than any other press I've ever owned. The idea of a slip in die I thought was neat but the partner press has turned out some vary accurate ammo when the custom dies are used with "O" rings between the die and top of the press. Like a fool I sold mine and bought a high dollar Harrell's press. None of my PPC ever shot as well using the cheap as dirt Partner from RCBS. Real accuracy comes from the most part from the dies anyway. As for the Rock Chucker I have several, I buy used from gun shows, I set them up for bullet swaging and they stay how they are set up. I have two rock chuckers I use for small quantity loading and two huge Dillon's 1010 and 1000 for volume loading. No thank you to any other make of press. Good luck to you and your Co-axle press.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I've had a co-ax for several years, and agree it's the finest single stage press. I have a rockchucker, but it typically collects dust on the bench.

snowwolfe...you made a very good decision..you won't regret it...I like mine and have used it with out a complaint for nigh onto 8-10 yrs. now...not considering another unless a progressive for pistols....

Default co-ax

I like mine as well.
    Haven't tried the regular shell holders or the short arm yet.
    Great for the WSMs and '06 size cartridges. But then I am a weigh-every-load kind of bloke.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

They look weird, and they're different. I'm sure the Co-ax is fine and dandy, and I appreciate hearing the various veiws about it.

I'm not inclined to afford one right now though, because I'm getting along so well with my Redding Beeg Boss.

I use the primer arm to seat primers, and the thing is solid'er than a brick Sheet House. I use it for everything except handgun and thutty-thutty, for which I use a Lee Turret press. (It ain't good for anything else.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Big Al
    You have me curious. I have never used a Co-ax so I don't know how they work any different than any other press. Why would one press stick cases more than another. I understand why the dies or the lube could be a problem but I don't understand what the press has to do with the case sticking? I have used several presses over the years with my main press being a Lyman All American turret. Also have a dillon 550 another Lyman turret, a Rockchucker and a cheap c type C&H. So someone tell me what I'm missing not having a Co-ax. Do I need to clear off a spot on the loading bench for a Co-ax?

Default co-ax advnatages?

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Big Al
    You have me curious. I have never used a Co-ax so I don't know how they work any different than any other press. Why would one press stick cases more than another. I understand why the dies or the lube could be a problem but I don't understand what the press has to do with the case sticking? I have used several presses over the years with my main press being a Lyman All American turret. Also have a dillon 550 another Lyman turret, a Rockchucker and a cheap c type C&H. So someone tell me what I'm missing not having a Co-ax. Do I need to clear off a spot on the loading bench for a Co-ax?
    I think the the professed advantage of the co-ax is that the die & the shellholder 'float' allowing better alignment of the case and the die/seater plug.
    Not sure if there is any real advantage with it but sounded OK and came with quite a few good recommendations.
    I think if your press is straight with no alignment problems you probably would not see any difference in the group size. I was just tooling up and had no expectations for loading Ultras, BMGs or Rigbys so I figured what-the-heck.
    At least thats my understanding.

Well, that makes sense on the alignment issues but why would a Co-ax stick cases worse than something else?

Default stuck cases

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Well, that makes sense on the alignment issues but why would a Co-ax stick cases worse than something else?
    I haven't had any stuck cases yet (knock on wood) but resizing a few 300WM to the 358 Norma got a little tight a few times.
    One of the things about the co-ax is the slide in and out of the dies.
    Instant die changing is nice!

On making the 358N from 300Win I run them partly into a 338 die first to get the neck part way there before going in the 358 die. Seems to help some. Any way, it sounds like they're a pretty good press.