Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yakutat or Coffman cove?

Default Yakutat or Coffman cove?

I really need to decide soon .Have researched both and I need some help on deciding where to go Trip will be for me and my brother during August.We would like to catch some halibut and silver salmon.Maybe a king in the salt.So my question is where would you go and why?
    Thanks, I really love this site always get great info

Mike Cooley

Send an email to attention of Capt. Erik Knutsen at Glacier Bear Lodge in Yakutat. He does their saltwater charters. Email Yakutak Lodge as well. These are the two main outfits in Yakutat and both came highly recommended to me. Also, email the fine folks at Coffman Cove Adventures. I haven't been to either, but plan to see one myself soon. Perhaps in May going to Yakutat. All three of these folks are incredibly helpful. I am sure you would get enough info to make an informed decision by contacting them directly. You can contact them via their websites.

http://www.coffmancoveak.com/

http://www.glacierbearlodge.com/

http://www.yakutatlodge.com/

-Dan

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

coffman cove is the place to be in aug, I go there from 1 aug to 1 sep, the last 3 yrs running . rent a place to stay and rent a small boat you will get more butts and silvers than you can take back with you. I'll be in the RV park with the bayliner trophy come by and say hi

Mike,

I have a pretty long-winded email from last year from the guy that runs Coffman Cove Adventures. A more or less self-guided deal from what I recall. Car and boat rental available. Sounded like a really nice option, certainly something different from most my trips to Alaska anyway. We usually do remote float trips and I was thinking this would be a nice trip to mix things up a bit. Happy to forward you that email if you want to PM me your email address.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by petelarue View Post
    coffman cove is the place to be in aug, I go there from 1 aug to 1 sep, the last 3 yrs running . rent a place to stay and rent a small boat you will get more butts and silvers than you can take back with you. I'll be in the RV park with the bayliner trophy come by and say hi
    Hi,

How is the weather there in Aug? How far are the halibut grounds?

thanks. Sounds fun.

Jonathan,

I will forward you the email I have from Coffman Cove.

Dan

Sent the email to you...

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Jonathan,

I will forward you the email I have from Coffman Cove.

Dan

Sent the email to you...

Dan you need to meet Soda. He is a kick. I met him in 08. He is a roit and loves to fish like the rest of us
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Ha ha... I feel like I already know him. We have talked about cameras, float trips, fishing, etc.. for the last year or so. I was talking with him about a float trip he was trying to do this summer up in NW actually. Nice guy (for a cannuck)

Actually, in the email I just sent, I was telling him about my two trips coming up on the Kenai. It would be nice if he could be there for Troutstock. He was working near island a while back and I was going to get over to meet up with him, but it didn't work out. He was like 26 miles away, but Carrie and I had to work.

-Dan

Default Distances

The weather in August is typical Alaska August weather. Rain, a little rain, and a little rain. Basically I have my folks plan on rain and they are pumped by the nice sunny days when they happen. It won't rain all day but you'll get some. Anyway the halibut grounds are anywhere from 5-60 minutes from the dock. Last August 2 200+ pounders were caught right out in front of the cove a day apart. Lots of halibut out front, we even catch them on downriggers trolling for kings and silvers!

Dan, thanks for thinking of us, I plan on spending 3 good days next week getting some steelhead for the grill so I will post some photos to get you pumped for Yakutat!

Gooch

PS - a steelhead will be released, just trying to get monkey wound up.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Dan you need to meet Soda. He is a kick. I met him in 08. He is a roit and loves to fish like the rest of us
    HAHA! Thanks Chuck! Yeah Dan has been really helping me out with a ton of stuff. I told him we have the same hobbies, but he's about 2-3 years ahead of me!

Ive got a few things to sort out in the next 5-6 weeks then if all goes as planned, I will be in Anchorage and surroundings for a few days in the Fall.

Even though it would a year or more away, Im really curious about the SW.
    The idea of Bottom fishing 10 minutes away from shore is so compelling!

about 200 yards out

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post

PS - a steelhead will be released, just trying to get monkey wound up.
    haha!

I'll be stomping around the steelhead rivers on the island the next few months. I drive a newish white Merc Mountaineer suv (pretty sure it's the only one on the island), so if you see me, say hi!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    haha!

I'll be stomping around the steelhead rivers on the island the next few months. I drive a newish white Merc Mountaineer suv (pretty sure it's the only one on the island), so if you see me, say hi!

That won't last long.

I live 5 miles out Port St Nick, so the rig gets it's fair share of mud and potholes. It won't last long.....(grin)

Rule of thumb for Ketchikanites buying used vehicles.........DON'T, if it came from POW.

Salmon Shores for a self guided trip: http://www.salmonshores.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Rule of thumb for Ketchikanites buying used vehicles.........DON'T, if it came from POW.
    That's smart. I don't buy vehicles from POW either..

Default Vehicles

Me either on the POW buy. I am looking for one right now in Anchorage to bring down. I need to cart a 300# vacuum sealer and wildebeast mount down. I will try to find you 270, I will be hitting Thorne mostly.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

The Thorne don't have no stinking Steelhead !!!!!

Default Nope

Or a crazy run of cutts. I bought some new jigs today 'gaurenteed' to catch fish according to World Wide Angler in Anchortown. 270, i'll either be in a blue ford flatbed or a pewter burb.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast