Thread: Looking for Spring Bears...Help

Question Looking for Spring Bears...Help

Hello,

I am looking for some good areas to goto for Spring black bear and grizz. I am not looking for anyone's secret honey hole, just an idea of where to start. I live in Delta Junction, and would like to keep travel to 200 miles or less.

The catch is, I will be hiking/camping, so I need someplace I can start from the road and move into the area. I will not have a four wheeler or snowmobile. I know this limits me, but I'll overcome.

Any help or advice would be nice. Anyone looking for a hunting partner, also please let me know.

Highest Regards.
    Mark

Mark, your in a good area, head towards the taylor and stay withing the first 30 miles of it and hike in. lots of bears. mostly blackie. they need to be thinned out.

Default spring bears

The interior might be one of the hardest places to spot and stalk bears in the spring. I have lived here since 78 and have only seen a couple of bears on the open hill sides in the spring. There just isn't many open areas and most is heavily timbered. Might be better to check out the mountain sides right around Delta. I have heard there are good #'s of grizz around there. Good luck wherever you try though.

This is going to be my first spring hunting in AK and I was planning on going out to the area around Tok for Grizzly and Black bears. Since that area has the most liberal bag limit on bears on the road system I figured there might be some bears around there. I was thinking about that area for sheep next fall also.

I'm also looking for a hunting partner. I can't believe I haven't met anyone who lives here that hunts yet, I must be running around with the wrong crowd. I guess people live here because they enjoy the winters?

hntr

I'd charter a plane or boat to drop you off around the talichuitna, there are a gazzillion bears there. Some huge ones too.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Tok River

Go up the Tok River Bed.
    Alaska

Default S.e. Ak

If you want to head down to S.E. AK I can get you going in the right direction.
    Its a bit farther then 200 miles though. I think its well worth the trip. Last spring in 4 days we say well over 75 bears with some blackies pushing 6'6" and over..
    PM me if you would like some more info.

Russ
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"