Thread: Fly Fishing 2010!!

Arrow Fly Fishing 2010!!

Hey everyone!!

Its almost that time again!...well its still like...four months off but its closer today than it was yesterday! and I am gearing up and starting to get some flies for the various kinds of salmon that I hope to catch this time around. Last season I had no idea what I was doing...this season I know enough to know that I still need tips and pointers from people more experinced than myself.

I know what flies work really well with Pink Salmon, and I know what flies work really well with Chum salmon. Infact when I use these certian flies I usually get a bite within a few casts.

However I know next to nothing about King and Silver Salmon, I'm not sure what kind of flies they like to munch on. I am thinking trying a fat freddie for kings and maybe a dolly lama for silvers but other than that I have no ideas what so ever. Anybody have a fly that they use as their back up?

Secondly what do Sockeye salmon munch into? I have been asking people this question for the better part of a year and they almost always tell me that they don't eat, and they cant be aggrovated into striking, You have to. "Snag" or "Floss" or "Line" them and pull them in. I don't like to snag fish, is there a way to catch sockeye, like a special fly that they tend to bite into more times than normal?

Anyways, lets see how many tips I get! I'll see you around Fishapolooza is only like...six months away? woohoo!
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Winter time is great for reading. Get Troy Letherman's "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska...". Absolutely great book and offers most all the info you seek. It can be bought on the forum store in the "Fishing" section or Amazon of course. I am not avoiding your question, I am just not the best person to answer. But this book is worth it's weight in gold to any flyfisherman in Alaska. Pick up a copy and I am sure you will agree.

I didn't see it in the forum store, but here is a link to the book on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Water-Fly-...7524753&sr=1-1
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Sorry man, I was trying to add the below info. I am working and got tied up and after 20 minutes, you can't edit a post...

I have not specifically targeted reds or kings (yet). I have caught lots of silvers and for me, the good ole boring egg sucking leech worked best. Size #2 purple with pink head from www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com is the best I have ever seen. They are a fly shop in Juneau, but have a wonderful website full of Alaska specific flies. Incredible flies these guys sell. Check out their website below. I would caution you on using bright gaudy pink flies for silvers. I took that advice on a 13 day float in SW and got very few silvers on them. Unusually bright "blue bird" days and lock jaw silvers is what we found. I got most of my fish on the esl and olive woolly buggers of all things. Seems the smaller and darker offerings were just what the silvers had in mind. I had two boxes of bright silver/pink, pink, chartreuse/pink, etc.. flies specifically for silvers. On most days, they didn't work. Point is, think outside the box a bit. Had I not had the smaller olive patterns for dollies/bows, I would have had poor success with flyfishing for silvers on that trip.

Many of these "silver" flies didn't work as I had planned....

Here is my favorite silver fly...

I got this 14 lb dolly on the above fly...

The Chosen River Special (buy from Hill's Discount Flies) is a helluva late season dolly/bow pattern...

https://www.hillsdiscountflies.com/i...h_categoryID=0

Here is a link to the best flies for Alaska I have bought anywhere....

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...-products.html

Here is my favorite esl pattern...

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

Here is the one I like for silvers. I fish it slow and deep on a 12' type III sink tip...

Here is my favorite grayling fly...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thumbs up

deff go with alaska flyfising goods, they are very freindly and have great customer service, the last 2 weekends ive been going to the kenai hope to catch some trophy bows and dollys, i have hooked a couple, but seems like everytime i throw on a dolly llama to get to the bottom of the deepest hole ive figured out that the silvers absolutley love to hate these flies and will go as far as they can to attack it, the color i was using was olive and white, but i heard the silver killer dolly is in chartruse and white. I also have to agree with danatherrock. Hope this helps a little.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

A simple size 4 purple egg sucking leach is the single greatest coho fly in existence
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Weird fly

My dad tied a fly a few years ago, no pictures but here is my best description. It had a black chenile body with silver rib, hackle head(black) and two big old red wings on it and a small maribou tail (black also). I know it sounds horrible but when I was on the little sue I had a fish on every other cast. I tried to replicate it with no success. Maybe give that a try for some off the wall patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    Secondly what do Sockeye salmon munch into? I have been asking people this question for the better part of a year and they almost always tell me that they don't eat, and they cant be aggrovated into striking, You have to. "Snag" or "Floss" or "Line" them and pull them in. I don't like to snag fish, is there a way to catch sockeye, like a special fly that they tend to bite into more times than normal?
    To be technical, I would say that no salmon "eat" once they hit the fresh water. That's not to say that plenty of them don't "bite" out of instinct or aggression. Now that I'm done being a smart*****...

True, sockeye typically don't strike like other salmon. That's not to say there aren't exceptions (after all, you hear of sockeye hitting quickfish and vibrax every once in a while), so who's to say they won't hit a fly - especially when fresh from the salt. If you're going to try and get sockeye to hit, IMO you're better off targeting holding fish. I think it's really rare a fish moving upstream is going to hit a fly.

Try a flesh fly - just a ginger bunny fly or something similar. If you tie your own or can get someone to tie you a few flies, also try some with a hot pink collar (but still mostly flesh colored).

Now if you're thinking about the Russian, to be honest I think those fish have seen so many flies go streaking past them (or into them) by that time that they go out of their way to avoid anything drifting their way, so getting one of them to strike a fly freely is just short of miraculous. Now once they start to turn and begin guarding their redds, that's a different story...

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    A simple size 4 purple egg sucking leach is the single greatest coho fly in existence
    That's actually pretty tough to argue with. Another good pocket silver fly is... again... a flesh fly. Especially in clear/low water or where the fish seem to have a case of lock jaw. This one has major silver potential...
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    True, sockeye typically don't strike like other salmon. That's not to say there aren't exceptions (after all, you hear of sockeye hitting quickfish and vibrax every once in a while), so who's to say they won't hit a fly - especially when fresh from the salt. If you're going to try and get sockeye to hit, IMO you're better off targeting holding fish. I think it's really rare a fish moving upstream is going to hit a fly.
    Yep, they will hit flies. I am sure it is not the norm, but I know for a fact they will hit flies. I caught the below fish after watching it chase my fly. But they are not called "shy" salmon for no reason. Surely most caught are not actively chasing flies. But when someone tells you the won't hit a fly, that is not entirely accurate. As Wyo2AK states, they are striking out of agression or instinct as opposed to actually feeding, that is rarely disputed.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Now if you're thinking about the Russian, to be honest I think those fish have seen so many flies go streaking past them (or into them) by that time that they go out of their way to avoid anything drifting their way, so getting one of them to strike a fly freely is just short of miraculous. Now once they start to turn and begin guarding their redds, that's a different story...
    Huh, so pretty much if I go down to the Russian/kenai confluence all of the Sockeye that have made it to that point are so spooked by all the attempts of anglers before me that they pretty much ignore everything? Im confused because last hear I saw people ripping fish after fish from the water. Are they just "flossing" them that good?

Also. So what kind of fly should I use for King Salmon, I'm starting to think that maybe I should try Pink Flash Flies and Fat Freddies and I think thats going to be my first plan, but what do you guys use?

Also I was thinking about getting a Sinking Tip fly line with a Sink V Rating. So that I can get the fly down where it needs to be without taking up too much space, because while I wish I could be fishing in quieter areas (Little Su/Montana/Sheep/Willow creek) odds are ill be at ship creek or the russian/kenai confluence. and I don't think I'll have any room to let it slowly sink. What do you guys think?

Good Flys for Kings? Good Sink Tip Line for Crowded Fishing Conditions?

Reply back!

--Chris
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Reds can actually be very willing to hit in the right conditions.

The problem is those conditions for me involved relaxed fish which is hard to get on the peninsula because of all the people. Down here in kodiak i look for smaller schools away from all the big pools where people crown. I look for fish that are actively porposing and holding or moving slowly up river, sighns of relaxed fish, the opposite is fish that hug the bottom and race up river through a gauntlet of anglers. My favored techniqu is getting above them so they can't see me and swinging a large glo bug in front of their face by about 3 feet, if i can get directly above them i'll actually pull it away from them and i've seen 3 to 4 fish fight to get to the fly and crush it. i've even got some to hit the surface when i put flotant on a glo bug

If i can find fish right as they enter the mouth near saltwater even better, but still they have to be relaxed and taking their time which wont happen with tons of people.

Huh, so pretty much if I go down to the Russian/kenai confluence all of the Sockeye that have made it to that point are so spooked by all the attempts of anglers before me that they pretty much ignore everything? Im confused because last hear I saw people ripping fish after fish from the water. Are they just "flossing" them that good?
    Yep. Pretty much. Those fish are pressured hard, and usually don't get much chance to rest and calm down, so they're very unlikely to strike of they're own will. And yes, people are just that good at flossing/lining reds. I guess that's because it's really not as hard as you'd think once you get the hang of it and figure out the right setup of weight, line, swing. Even without the notorious kenai twitch, if there are plenty of fish in the water it's not that difficult to hook up with numerous fish.

Good Flys for Kings? Good Sink Tip Line for Crowded Fishing Conditions?

Reply back!

--Chris
    Most any sink tip fly line will do you well... if you're going to go with just a single sink-tip, a sink IV or V would be a good choice. (The only line I WON'T recommend that I've used recently is the SA Ultra V wettip line - that line was junk. It's been discontinued now, but you may see it around still... maybe I got a bad batch, but I wouldn't buy it again) You could also consider going with interchangeable tips... or you can make your own sink tips out of lead core or some other fast-sinking line and add them to your V if you need to get down faster. Mountain View had a basket of lead core for $5 when I was in there last week. A foot or two of that on the end will get you down in a hurry.

As for king flies... have some variety, as the bite can change from day to day... lately there's been a lot more popularity in the ff community with BIG intruder style flies, but sometimes smaller flies might make the difference. have some dark (black, purple) flies and some bright (orange, chartreuse, pink) in big and small patterns. fat freddies, baranof bomber, bunny leeches, alaskabou (marabou) styles, bunny leaches, flash flies, woolly buggers, etc.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.