Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Looking for old Filleting thread

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    46

    Default Looking for old Filleting thread

    I'm looking for an old Salmon filleting thread on here where the guy fillets a salmon without any bones. There was a video with it. Anyone one remember that? I have searched but can not find it.

    Thanks!

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Member moose-head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    @ Seminary, Dubuque Ia
    Posts
    839

    Default

    No video but this is a favorite of mine. http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...ghlight=fillet
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

  4. #4
    Member Alaskanmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    947

    Default No bones about it

    THe name of the video.

    The problem witht he other two post is the method they use do not remove the pin bones. This way does remove the pin bones.

    Do you have a mp4 player (i.e. iPod, zune, computer with itunes or quicktime?) If so I can send it to you through Yousendit.com I upload it you download it type thing.

    It is really a cool way to do it but dang if it is going to work while dipnetting, it is slower than just regular filetting.


    Let me know if you are interested and I will upload it and send you a download link It is 1.16 gb

    This does go for all of you also. I do need a email address to send you the link

    alaskanmutt@gmail.com

  5. #5
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,787

    Default Dude-

    Quote Originally Posted by VanSlam View Post
    I'm looking for an old Salmon filleting thread on here where the guy fillets a salmon without any bones. There was a video with it. Anyone one remember that? I have searched but can not find it.

    Thanks!
    If your salmon has no bones, filleting is a piece of cake!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default Great technique

    Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    No video but this is a favorite of mine. http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...ghlight=fillet

    This was a great technique on big fish. I used last year on some big kings and it worked very well. Thanks to FnP.

  7. #7
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default



    fishNphysician had an awesome thread and step by step instructions on a thread last year with pics and all. Works real well with larger fish with thick filets. Might want to send him a PM and he may hook you up.

  8. #8
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Demo of the fNp method on a sockeye:

    http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....18&postcount=1




    Demo of the fNp method on a big king:

    http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....4&postcount=36
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Demo of the fNp method on a sockeye:

    http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....18&postcount=1




    Demo of the fNp method on a big king:

    http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....4&postcount=36


    Thats awesome! Thanks man! What kind of knife are you using?

  10. #10
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanSlam View Post
    Thats awesome! Thanks man! What kind of knife are you using?
    Sockeye demo was a Normark/Rapala. Same blade as the blonde wood-handled one you see everywhere.

    King demo was a Kershaw.

    I really have no preference in knives except that they be flexible and easily touched up or re-sharpened.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Sockeye demo was a Normark/Rapala. Same blade as the blonde wood-handled one you see everywhere.

    King demo was a Kershaw.

    I really have no preference in knives except that they be flexible and easily touched up or re-sharpened.
    Diddo on the knife. We caught a 50lb and a 65lb King last year and your technique worked great. Didn't waste and ounce of meat. That was my first time. Thanks man.

  12. #12
    Member fishNphysician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aberdeen WA
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Well if you can cut fish even half as good as you can predict the inaugural king count on the Kenai sonar, that comes as no surprise. Did either of those fish fall to the "Dirty Copper" Kwik?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Soldotna AK
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Thatís the best knife work Iíve ever seen......

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Well if you can cut fish even half as good as you can predict the inaugural king count on the Kenai sonar, that comes as no surprise. Did either of those fish fall to the "Dirty Copper" Kwik?

    Sorry to Say, they did not. I but I am not giving up on it. Will give it another go this July hopefully. It was my first year in the drift boat and that didn't help the Kwik Fish any. Need a power boat to do it some justice. Wait til the wife hears about me needing a $25k boat so I can really test out the $10 lure. LOL.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default

    I consider myself pretty darn good at filleting fish. I've always had trouble with the big kings. I've fillet hundreds of reds and silvers and easily over a hundred kings. Your fillet technique really opened my eyes. The simplicity and speed was amazing when it comes to a big fish. You just don't waste anything. I did not employ it on the sockeyes though. I can't get myself to be so careful with reds when I am staring at my limit, the wife's limit, and the guests' limits.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •