Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: 2010 SnoPro Won't Climb

  1. #1

    Default 2010 SnoPro Won't Climb

    Trees that is. Can we say "Pilot Error"

    Hillclimbing and sidehilling and hit a set up area where someone else previously got stuck and it sent me right at a nearby tree. Instinctlively grabbed the rest of the throttle to try to go on the high side as planned. You know, "When in doubt, throttle out"

    Just laying around as my sled gets extracted and devising a plan for a splint.

  2. #2

    Default

    Didn't hurt the cat and was able to slowly ride out to a road a few miles away.

  3. #3

    Default

    All the nurses were impressed with my splint using the pieces of my shovel, some nylon straping, and electrical tape.


    The Doc at work

  4. #4

    Default

    Fractured the tibia
    [/IMG]

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Valdez, Ak
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Bummer man. Hope you're back on the sled soon.
    Awesome job on the improvising.

    I too have experienced the unexpected results of hitting someone's dig out but luckily we were on a hill without trees and it only threw us both off...no broken bones.

  6. #6
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Nice self rescue. Glad you didn't get your tib and fib...it would have been a whole different story
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  7. #7

    Default

    Nice helmet, pink must be your color.


    Good job on the split. It looks like your ordeal could have been much worse.

  8. #8
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    heck! you coulda walked that off! what hospital?
    Semper Fi!

  9. #9
    RMK
    Guest

    Default Ouch

    I always worry about that stuff when I'm 40 or 50 miles from the road.

    Such an injury in the cold, and you're looking at a serious deal. Shock can take you out in a hurry. Nice that you made it.

  10. #10

    Wink

    A Sams Splint is perhaps the cheapest, lightwieght valuable thing a person could put in their Ditty Bag.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11

    Default

    I'm surprised it took so long to here about Pinky. I originally got it from the race program years ago and was going to have it painted, but people said they could see me on top of a mountain from way off so I kept it. Really helps to round up the troops when they get lost.

    My sledding is done for this winter, just hope I don't miss too much flying. Going to see ortho this afternoon. Hopefully get it plated and cross my fingers spraying wont start till late April or May.

    I was in West Yellowstone Mt. Worst snow in 20 some years I heard. I was "guiding" some friends from Mn around most of whom were vertically challenged.

    Seems like that is when things happen. When you let your guard down cause the snow is set up or not much of a challenge.

    I ride in my shell layers and pack my insulation and some spare socks, gloves, base layers. You can fix anything with tape, zip ties, and nylon straps.

  12. #12
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Not to quibble goose but that's your fibula. The tibia is the bigger bone.

    I only know this because I broke both last August. I've got a 6" plate holding my fibula together.

    Goodonya for the self rescue

  13. #13
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Goose, just so that sno-pro doesn't sit for the remainder of the season and possibly dry-rot, and heaven knows what else....I'd offer to take your Cat of your hands and make sure she gets out for a few 'walks'....

    PM me and we'll work something out

  14. #14
    Member EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    A Sams Splint is perhaps the cheapest, lightwieght valuable thing a person could put in their Ditty Bag.
    Agreed! Riding ATV's 2 summers ago, one of my riding buddies broke her leg in a freak accident. We were crawling up a trail and she ran over a log that snapped where her tire ran over it...the outside of the log jumped up and hit her in the lower leg like a baseball bat. Despite shin guards and stiff boots it broke both lower leg bones in her right leg. We used a SAM Splint and duct tape to splint her and she RODE out. Fortunately we were only 3 miles in, and it was slow going on the way out, but she did it herself.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

  15. #15

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Agreed! Riding ATV's 2 summers ago, one of my riding buddies broke her leg in a freak accident. We were crawling up a trail and she ran over a log that snapped where her tire ran over it...the outside of the log jumped up and hit her in the lower leg like a baseball bat. Despite shin guards and stiff boots it broke both lower leg bones in her right leg. We used a SAM Splint and duct tape to splint her and she RODE out. Fortunately we were only 3 miles in, and it was slow going on the way out, but she did it herself.
    Yup,
    Basic First Aid is always the very first thing a person should learn before going afield. Putting together and carrying a good kit is next. The Sam can be shaped or cut down to fit anything on your body that needs steadying. ER's sometimes can do the x-ray without removal, as they supposed don't affect the reading.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  16. #16

    Default

    Got plate and screws this afternoon. Splint for maybe a couple weeks, then walking boot for a few. Should be good to go by spraying season.

  17. #17
    Member EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    Got plate and screws this afternoon. Splint for maybe a couple weeks, then walking boot for a few. Should be good to go by spraying season.
    I hope you heal quick. Glad that your story has a happy (mostly!) ending.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •