Thread: 2010 SnoPro Won't Climb

Default 2010 SnoPro Won't Climb

Trees that is. Can we say "Pilot Error"

Hillclimbing and sidehilling and hit a set up area where someone else previously got stuck and it sent me right at a nearby tree. Instinctlively grabbed the rest of the throttle to try to go on the high side as planned. You know, "When in doubt, throttle out"

Just laying around as my sled gets extracted and devising a plan for a splint.

Didn't hurt the cat and was able to slowly ride out to a road a few miles away.

All the nurses were impressed with my splint using the pieces of my shovel, some nylon straping, and electrical tape.

The Doc at work

Fractured the tibia
    [/IMG]

Bummer man. Hope you're back on the sled soon.
    Awesome job on the improvising.

I too have experienced the unexpected results of hitting someone's dig out but luckily we were on a hill without trees and it only threw us both off...no broken bones.

Nice self rescue. Glad you didn't get your tib and fib...it would have been a whole different story
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Nice helmet, pink must be your color.

Good job on the split. It looks like your ordeal could have been much worse.

heck! you coulda walked that off! what hospital?
    Semper Fi!

RMK

Default Ouch

I always worry about that stuff when I'm 40 or 50 miles from the road.

Such an injury in the cold, and you're looking at a serious deal. Shock can take you out in a hurry. Nice that you made it.

Wink

A Sams Splint is perhaps the cheapest, lightwieght valuable thing a person could put in their Ditty Bag.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I'm surprised it took so long to here about Pinky. I originally got it from the race program years ago and was going to have it painted, but people said they could see me on top of a mountain from way off so I kept it. Really helps to round up the troops when they get lost.

My sledding is done for this winter, just hope I don't miss too much flying. Going to see ortho this afternoon. Hopefully get it plated and cross my fingers spraying wont start till late April or May.

I was in West Yellowstone Mt. Worst snow in 20 some years I heard. I was "guiding" some friends from Mn around most of whom were vertically challenged.

Seems like that is when things happen. When you let your guard down cause the snow is set up or not much of a challenge.

I ride in my shell layers and pack my insulation and some spare socks, gloves, base layers. You can fix anything with tape, zip ties, and nylon straps.

Not to quibble goose but that's your fibula. The tibia is the bigger bone.

I only know this because I broke both last August. I've got a 6" plate holding my fibula together.

Goodonya for the self rescue

Goose, just so that sno-pro doesn't sit for the remainder of the season and possibly dry-rot, and heaven knows what else....I'd offer to take your Cat of your hands and make sure she gets out for a few 'walks'....

PM me and we'll work something out

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    A Sams Splint is perhaps the cheapest, lightwieght valuable thing a person could put in their Ditty Bag.
    Agreed! Riding ATV's 2 summers ago, one of my riding buddies broke her leg in a freak accident. We were crawling up a trail and she ran over a log that snapped where her tire ran over it...the outside of the log jumped up and hit her in the lower leg like a baseball bat. Despite shin guards and stiff boots it broke both lower leg bones in her right leg. We used a SAM Splint and duct tape to splint her and she RODE out. Fortunately we were only 3 miles in, and it was slow going on the way out, but she did it herself.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Agreed! Riding ATV's 2 summers ago, one of my riding buddies broke her leg in a freak accident. We were crawling up a trail and she ran over a log that snapped where her tire ran over it...the outside of the log jumped up and hit her in the lower leg like a baseball bat. Despite shin guards and stiff boots it broke both lower leg bones in her right leg. We used a SAM Splint and duct tape to splint her and she RODE out. Fortunately we were only 3 miles in, and it was slow going on the way out, but she did it herself.
    Yup,
    Basic First Aid is always the very first thing a person should learn before going afield. Putting together and carrying a good kit is next. The Sam can be shaped or cut down to fit anything on your body that needs steadying. ER's sometimes can do the x-ray without removal, as they supposed don't affect the reading.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Got plate and screws this afternoon. Splint for maybe a couple weeks, then walking boot for a few. Should be good to go by spraying season.

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    Got plate and screws this afternoon. Splint for maybe a couple weeks, then walking boot for a few. Should be good to go by spraying season.
    I hope you heal quick. Glad that your story has a happy (mostly!) ending.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.