Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite all around Alaska bullet is...

Question Your favorite all around Alaska bullet is...

For me it is the Barnes X. I won't go into detail other then to say it works for me, every time. I don't care about the caliber, just the bullet. So what is your favorite all around Alaskan big game bullet? The Nosler Partition, Swift A Frame, Trophy Bonded, E Tips, Accubond's, Woodleigh's, Hawk, Kodiak Bonded Core, Grand Slam, Hornaday's, etc... We are blessed with bullets that make our success much easier then 30 years ago, if we put them in the right place.

225 Grain Swift A Frame from my .338.

180 grain TSX out of a .300 win

Default Sign me up

For the X bullet fan club. I have gotten most other brands to come apart over the years, but I haven't lost a petal yet. If its in a rifle I prefer it to be an X bullet of some incarnation.

By far, my favorite do-everything bullet is the new Barnosleremchester Triple-Safe-Frame-Bonded-Accu-Claw.

It does everything.

I have never had a bullet hit an animal and not kill it, but if I had to choose only one, I would go with the Nosler Partition

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I believe the Nosler Partition is a very fine Special Purpose Bullet, BUT my favorite is the HORNADY ROUND NOSE, in, heavy for caliber, weight.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    By far, my favorite do-everything bullet is the new Barnosleremchester Triple-Safe-Frame-Bonded-Accu-Claw.

It does everything.
    Especially when shot from an 88 magnum!

Default favorite bullet

Most definately the one in my gun

Haven't killed anything with it but it sure slows em down
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Especially when shot from an 88 magnum!
    Exactly, the Germans learned to take out enemy tanks with it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.8_cm_FlaK_18/36/37/41

In all reality my favorite bullets are in a few areas of the state. I imagine that they could be unearthed with a little work and would be found near a few kill sites. The most recent is likely buried in side of a mountain on kodiak near the remains of a goat. It was a 180 accubond and it was last seen leaving the barrel of a 338 win mag at a little more than 2800 fps... If you find it I would appreciate it's return! There is also a 7mm Barnes X in the little Oshentna valley that I would love to see again, I doubt that the remains of my first bou are still there but I am certain the bullet is...
    At the moment there is a couple boxes of 200grn Accubonds in 325 and in 140 grn 270 WSM sitting on the shelf at home and it is likely that one of those will be my next favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Exactly, the Germans learned to take out enemy tanks with it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.8_cm_FlaK_18/36/37/41
    hmmm, I was thinking about this one...

Thumbs up

Nosler Partitions work for me. But to be perfectly honest, I have not tried any of the latest, newest, bestest bullets that are now on the market. I have no reason to either.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

150 grain Barnes TSX shooting at a little over 3000 FPS. I'd hunt anything in Alaska with that load. Furthest an animal has gone after being shot with those loads is 40 yards. Includes brown bear, moose, caribou, sheep.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Partitions are my go-to bullet, I do like and use the TSX, Interbond, Accubond, Interlock and Gameking. At some point I'd like to work up some loads useing 270 gr North Forks for my 375 H&H.

Last year I picked up a 30-06 and didn't have loads for it so went with factory Federal 180gr Fusion and it worked great on the Caribou I killed, as the name implys it's a bonded bullet.

Default Nosler Partitions

These have been around for a long time. There is a reason why particular bullets last for years & years. They work well.

That said, I am currently shooting 150 grain Fusions and, although I haven't shot anything larger than a mule deer, they seem to work well, are very accurate, and they are cheaper than some of the "super" new rounds.

I have a friend who always says "ammunition is cheap" BUT it is getting so that isn't particularly true any more.

From my "big" rifle for tough game where penetration is necessary - I shoot nosler partitions.

I just like plain old Rem CoreLoks in 180 grain out of my 30-06. Been getting the job done for many people for a long time. I honestly haven't popped enough big critters with any type of one bullet to tell the difference between them and I doubt very many of the internet experts out there have either

That said, I am currently shooting 150 grain Fusions and, although I haven't shot anything larger than a mule deer, they seem to work well, are very accurate, and they are cheaper than some of the "super" new rounds.
    My son shoots these out of his .270. They are cheap, very accurate (sub moa out of his box stock Ruger) and get the job done.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    ... I honestly haven't popped enough big critters with any type of one bullet to tell the difference between them and I doubt very many of the internet experts out there have either
    Hey, I shot enough bull Humpback whales with the 369gr Triple-Safe-Frame-Shock-Bonded-Accu-Claw to know it works.

There are a lot of variables, but as a rule if I expect an impact velocity over 2800 fps I'll use a Nosler Partition. Less than 2800 fps I use a lot of Hornady Interlocks (normally with a sectional density over .270 or so). Can't say there is much difference in their efficacy so long as they hit where they should.

Nosler Partitions work for me. But to be perfectly honest, I have not tried any of the latest, newest, bestest bullets that are now on the market. I have no reason to either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast