Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clean burning 44 mag powder?

Default clean burning 44 mag powder?

What have you all found that burns clean in your 44's? I am just looking for a plinking round and have tried bullseye so far but it seems a bit dirty. Other than that I like it.

Default Alliant Steel Powder

Alliant Steel powder seems to be a good choice for medium loads - there isn't a lot of choice in that range.

Unique is a long time favorite of many.

I've also used a lot of Herco but it is dirty stuff esp. with cast bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    What have you all found that burns clean in your 44's? I am just looking for a plinking round and have tried bullseye so far but it seems a bit dirty. Other than that I like it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

My 44 is a s&w airweight w/ 4 inch brl - my loads are lighter as a result of that.

I use Win 296 for all my full power loads with magnum primers. It shoots clean and meters fantastic.
    -My go to load -
    -Speer GDHP and GDSP 240gr
    -22.6grains WIN 296 -
    -Win Brass
    -CCI 350 Large Pistol Magnum Primer.
    -Gives me about 1150 FPS.

I use Ramshot True Blue for my plinking loads. It shoots clean and meters fantastic.
    -Berry's 240 gr Plated HP.
    -Ramshot True Blue - 11 grains -
    -All my bass works with this charge-
    -CCI 350 Large Pistol Magnum Primers
    -Gives me about 950 FPS.
    (Work up your own load)

All out clean powde = LilGun
    Mid to hot = 2400

What primer are you using with the Bullseye? I never had a problem with Bullseye or Unique burning dirty but they are fast slow to give you the power of 2400, LilGun, or the much more dirty H110/W295 . . . great plinking load powders though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Guess I should have put some info down on what I am shooting.

Gun= Ruger Redhawk 4"

plinking load= misc brass, Arnie's 250gr Kieth Economy Grade, 6 grains of Bullseye, and CCI 350's lots of leading in the barrel and very dirty around the cylinder from powder.

full power load misc brass, 320gr WLNGC, 21 grains H110, Fed 155 no leading a little dirty and plenty of punch.

Right now I am looking for a load and powder combination that is extremely economical to shoot and is clean to shoot.

I do not mind spending the time cleaning guns after using them but would rather spend uneeded time loading more rounds or shooting them.

VV N110 for hot loads and N105 for slightly milder stuff. Very clean.

Any of the faster powders will give you good sub-1000 fps plinking loads. In particular, I like 7.5 grains of 231, or 6 grains of Clays (both with a 250 grain Keith SWC). Both loads are around 800 fps and are very clean.

With these types of loads you want to be really careful you don't double charge a case.

Mike

Default imr 4227.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=69434 the new hodgon 2010 manual (in the magazine racks)has a few pages donated to imr4227
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Any of the faster powders will give you good sub-1000 fps plinking loads. In particular, I like 7.5 grains of 231, or 6 grains of Clays (both with a 250 grain Keith SWC). Both loads are around 800 fps and are very clean.

With these types of loads you want to be really careful you don't double charge a case.

Mike
    Thanks for the info Mike I was just reading up on Clays and Titegroup powders seems like they burn very clean and you get a lot of loads per canister.

Yes those cartridges are very easy to double load with such small powder charges.

You mention that you're getting lots of leading with the 250 grain Keiths, but very little with the 320 grain heavyweights. You might want to mic them both and compare their diameters. It's possible that the 250 grain bullets are a little undersized, however it's also very likely that the gas checks on the 320 grainers are scraping out any leading those bullets would otherwise be leaving.

It may also pay to slug the barrel and measure the chamber throats in the cylinder. If the throats measure something like .429" and the bore measures .430" then the bullets get squeezed down too small for the bore, resulting in lots of leading.

Mike

I've had good luck with clays. The Hodgedon manual had some very nice plinking loads listed under their cowboy action section. The clays burns clean.

Please don't consider this a wise guy comment because it is not intended that way. Other than black powder that has to be removed to prevent corrision, What is the concern of cleaning a little powder residue from a gun? I understand the leading as that is a real problem, but a little soot from smokeless powder has never bothered me much. I probably don't clean my guns as much as a lot of people but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Fr the cleanest and cheapest powder use 700X or 800X powder. Most commercial reloads use these powders. I refuse to quote loads but you can down load reloading information from this powders web site for a number of pistol ctgs using these powders. I have loaded many millions of rounds in .38 special, 9mm Luger, .357 mag, 45ACP, .40S&W, 10MM, 44Mag. It is the cleanest and cheapest powders I know of.

The really good NEWS is you can find it in big kegs at the Sportsmans Wearhouse. Most people leave it alone because they think it's for shotgun only. Little do they know what a great pistol powder it really is.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    What is the concern of cleaning a little powder residue from a gun?
    I can't speak for the original poster, however for myself when I go handgun shooting I tend to shoot at least a couple hundred rounds and it's irritating to have my hands and forearms covered in powder residue. My loads with Blue Dot and Unique would do this all the time, which is why I don't use those powders any more. For me it's definitely not just a question of cleaning a little powder residue off the guns.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Please don't consider this a wise guy comment because it is not intended that way. Other than black powder that has to be removed to prevent corrision, What is the concern of cleaning a little powder residue from a gun? I understand the leading as that is a real problem, but a little soot from smokeless powder has never bothered me much. I probably don't clean my guns as much as a lot of people but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Don't worry I did not take it the wrong way and have no issues with your comments.

Just like you I do not mind a little soot and assume I will be cleaning some up after every shooting episode if I want my guns looking brand new. But after loading these rounds and shooting them the entire cylinder and was covered in it, just a bit more soot than I wanted to deal with and figured someone had to have found a cleaner burning powder than what I was using.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    You mention that you're getting lots of leading with the 250 grain Keiths, but very little with the 320 grain heavyweights. You might want to mic them both and compare their diameters. It's possible that the 250 grain bullets are a little undersized, however it's also very likely that the gas checks on the 320 grainers are scraping out any leading those bullets would otherwise be leaving.

It may also pay to slug the barrel and measure the chamber throats in the cylinder. If the throats measure something like .429" and the bore measures .430" then the bullets get squeezed down too small for the bore, resulting in lots of leading.

Mike

Mike I have yet to slug my barrel and measure my cylinder throats and do plan to eventually. The 250gr keiths do not have gas checks but the 320gr hard cast do. I do not have the diameter of the hard cast but will pull one and measure it tonight just to see. I am a bit new to the cast bullet scene and have been doing plenty of reading.

I've had great luck with Clays and Universal clays in target/plinking rounds. Very clean.

Bullseye is about as dirty as it gets. My .45ACP get dirtier with 10 rounds of Bullseye than it does with 100 rounds of Clays.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I used to use Red Dot for reduced loads in both 45 Colt and 44 mag.

To second Big Al's motion I too vote for the Hi-Skor powders. I use 700X for all my plinking loads in 38sp and 44mag. Its cheap, burns clean, shoots accurately from my guns, and you get a ton of loads out of a can. I've been using it to load some 250swc to an estimated 900fps from my 44 and haveing a big ole time on weekends, shooting almost as much as a guy should, and I swear that can keeps regrowing what I use overnight.

All I have to say oh boy! Your gun was shooting the 250 pretty
    good so I suspect they are not undersized. So I think they
    are a little soft I shot them usin 18.5 gr of 2400 they lead
    a little but I have seen worse. To prevent leading need to
    get gas checks bullets. Now powder I grew up around guys the
    only powders to use were 2400, bullseye and unique. I have used
    700 as the kid said it was good stuff that is all I used in my 9mm at the
    time. As far as I'm concerened only one powder to use in the
    44 and that is 2400.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast