Thread: Drake Lake

Default Drake Lake

On swanson river road, anyone have any info on this lake, also thinking about hidden lake or carter lake

Default This lake is known to have nice fish

One of my students caught a 24" rainbow right from the shore. Problem is, it is a long walk in, and I'm not sure you can use a power auger.

It is such a shame that snow machines are not allowed, because that lake is one of the deepest in the Swanson River area; over 100 feet in the middle and much of it between 60-80 feet. It has native rainbows and char.

PM me if you want to try it sometime soon.

One of my favorite lakes. Takes me about a half hour to walk to the lake on normal trail conditions with only a couple of minor hills and those are located close to the beginning of the trail. You will see a couple of other lakes along the way but if you simply stay on the trail it will lead you right to the shore of Drake. It is a pretty good sized lake like sayak mentioned with one good sized island and one smaller island. I've had good luck on the south side of the bigger island right along the edge of a drop off. Easy to find this spot as if you look from the island you will see a narrow bottleneck area were the lake is only a hundred feet or so across. Looking from the spot that the trail hits Drake you will see the bigger Island right in front of you and beyond the island and slightly to the left is a second smaller island that is a good area to explore as well. Sometimes they are in shallow water and the next school is a little farther out. Some really nice sized rainbows, char, and even a few landlocked coho. They do have those Swanson River worms on them.

It is on the Refuge so no power auger or snowmachine.

Tough walking around the edge of the lake in the summer with brush and not much of a trail once you get to this point.

I fished Drake Lake today. The weather was nice and warm and the hike in wasn't too bad. The fishing was pretty decent, best fishing I have had out of 4 lakes on Swanson I have fished this year, I caught all rainbows except one char, the fish I caught were as small as 10" and the biggest was a fat 17" rainbow

Good to hear that you went out and gave it a shot. I think it is one of those places that is close enough to the road but far enough off of it that it will never see a ton of pressure. I've been fishing Drake for around 20 years and I have only seen one person there in all that time. Also saw a couple of guys on the trail once that were headed in as we were headed out. I have seen old ice holes so I know others fish it as well but still that is not much fishing pressure. Took a canoe out there one fall and had a blast on the fly rod using a teeny nympth. Lots of water to explore and I will say that I have not come close to knowing the lake all that well once you get past the islands and the first couple of coves. I tend to go to the same spots that have produced for me in the past. I will also say that there are some real big fish in here.

Default How...

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I fished Drake Lake today. The weather was nice and warm and the hike in wasn't too bad. The fishing was pretty decent, best fishing I have had out of 4 lakes on Swanson I have fished this year, I caught all rainbows except one char, the fish I caught were as small as 10" and the biggest was a fat 17" rainbow
    ... thick was the ice?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... thick was the ice?
    I would estimate it to be about 2 feet thick