Thread: Sending Your Stuff Home after the Hunt.

Default Sending Your Stuff Home after the Hunt.

Went to the Alaska ticket counter today to get some info on shipping stuff down to the states. I was told that I could not ship regular air freight past Seattle ( I live in Nome) unless I was a known shipper. You can become a known shipper by filling out some BS paperwork.
    I was not aware of this. Thousands of people travel to and from Alaska all year. I assumed they sent stuff air freight regularly.
    Now I was told that I could use their Gold Rush service, but that is a more expensive form of shipping. Gold Rush is handled by FEDEX after Alaska Air hauls the box to Anch.
    So anyone know about this? Isn't there someone who posts here regularly that works for Alaska? Seems like this will really slow the movement of hunting trophy parts next fall.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Shipping regs

MT, that regulation has been in effect for over a year, the last two summers I think. I haven't bothered getting my paperwork done yet as my dad is a known shipper, so I have him send stuff out to family.

This is the time of year to get the paperwork done when things are slow, so maybe I'll quit being lazy.

Mike

You must be speaking of Alaska air. I spent some time on the phone with them last year trying to make arangments to get a load shipped into Chicago. They told me basicaly what you've just posted. I wont try to get into their reasons for this...but if you PM/e-mail Sam, I'm sure he can fill you in and/or help. He's dealt with them in the past. Good luck.

Lightbulb 9-11

I believe this is one of the changes because of 9-11. They want to make sure that they "know" the person sending stuff and have "approved" them!

When I sent the paperwork in over 4 years ago, it took forever, a lot of running around, etc. etc. I think you have to be a business also (not sure though).

If this is a one time thing, I would see if anyone around is a "known shipper" and ask them to send it for you.

I might be stepping in it here - but there are several guide/outfitters that are "known shippers"; you might want to go that direction (they send out caribou antlers, moose antlers, etc). I don't think that is against the law.

Good luck!
    CuriousOne

The regs are a post-9/11 thing. This scenario isn't limited to Alaska Airlines. My company has been listed as a known shipper with a few air carriers after being visited by representatives of those carriers to validate that we're a legitimate business. The inspection was easy, informal, and quick.

Here's a TSA link that touches on the requirement. Don't blame Alaska Air.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers...rgo/index.shtm

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Went to the Alaska ticket counter today to get some info on shipping stuff down to the states. I was told that I could not ship regular air freight past Seattle ( I live in Nome) unless I was a known shipper. You can become a known shipper by filling out some BS paperwork.
    I was not aware of this. Thousands of people travel to and from Alaska all year. I assumed they sent stuff air freight regularly.
    Now I was told that I could use their Gold Rush service, but that is a more expensive form of shipping. Gold Rush is handled by FEDEX after Alaska Air hauls the box to Anch.
    So anyone know about this? Isn't there someone who posts here regularly that works for Alaska? Seems like this will really slow the movement of hunting trophy parts next fall.
    I went through the process about four years ago. The paperwork wasn't that tedious. On the other hand, the time it takes for them to certify everything is ridiculously long.

Default known shipper

You don't have to be a business to be a known shipper. Individuals can be and are known shippers. When you fly you get checked out at the airport as far as ID and such but packages sent freight can be more anonymous hence the requirement. They need to be able to check out who's sending them before any package is left at the airport.

I wish they'd come up with a known flier list too so you didn't need to go through all the security BS every time you fly.

Default Known Shipper

Myself, my wife and both of our businesses have been known shippers for years. No big deal. Several years ago I had my buddy in WA become K.S. so we could bypass the UPS super charges to Alaska.

Default twodux: TSA is working on somehtings like "known fliers"

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    I wish they'd come up with a known flier list too so you didn't need to go through all the security BS every time you fly.
    twodux,

They're working on it:

TSA: Secure Flight Program
    http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers...rial_1716.shtm
    TSA: Registered Traveler
    http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/rt/index.shtm

Default AK Air Know Shipper

BTW if you had a known shipper account based on your frequent flyer program and have not updated it since 1 JUL 06 you will need to. They go through an additional screening if you got yours based on your frequent flyer account.

I have to get mine done to does anyone have the forms, last time I tried the link at their web site was not working?

Thanks

Default Known Shipper

MT, I have had my known shipper from Alaska Air since 2000. It is BS for sure, but it sure helps me and my friends get our meat and horns to Portland a lot easier and cheaper. The problem I have found is they won't let me ship to someone other than myself. So, when one partner is in Portland and one is in Seattle, I have to ship it all to Portland and then he has to come get it. My moose meat and rack were handled a little roughly, but the meat remained in their cooler and was in very good condition when i picked it up.