Thread: Where in Alaska to fish in May? Got some time off, no clue what to do with it...

Default Where in Alaska to fish in May? Got some time off, no clue what to do with it...

As stated, got some time off in May, don't know what to do with it. Would love an excuse to fly up to Alaska. We had gave consideration to a steelhead trip in SE for mid April. However, the job situation we find out today is going to have us off in May instead. Anyone have any suggestions for where to go fishing in May? We are wide open to species and areas of the state. Floating remote rivers is my favorite thing, but the trip timing for most float trips is mid June to mid Sept. Not sure what to do in May. Thanks or any ideas guys. PM's welcome of course.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Hey Dan. Im guessing SE Alaska should be getting going in May. Kings for sure I think. Im sure someone will jump in on that. Sorry I did not shoot that to you in the last PM is just came to mind. I was thinking what kind of quality advice you might get. Im thinking your "probably" gonna get some
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks Monkey
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Good suggestion from Chuck, mid May king fishing start heating up.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Hey Dan. Im guessing SE Alaska should be getting going in May. Kings for sure I think. Im sure someone will jump in on that. Sorry I did not shoot that to you in the last PM is just came to mind. I was thinking what kind of quality advice you might get. Im thinking your "probably" gonna get some

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    As stated, got some time off in May, don't know what to do with it. Would love an excuse to fly up to Alaska. We had gave consideration to a steelhead trip in SE for mid April. However, the job situation we find out today is going to have us off in May instead. Anyone have any suggestions for where to go fishing in May? We are wide open to species and areas of the state. Floating remote rivers is my favorite thing, but the trip timing for most float trips is mid June to mid Sept. Not sure what to do in May. Thanks or any ideas guys. PM's welcome of course.

-Dan
    I would go to one of the lesser-known steelhead streams with a USFS cabin around either Petersburg or Wrangell, and try it out for steelhead and sea run cutts. Nothing worth floating, but some have boats that you can tool around in a lake or short flat portions of streams. Some of the cabins are pretty nice to kick back at anyway.

Some of the biggest Kings are always caught at the end of May. There are usually some Halibut to be found too.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Kenai peninsula

Up here on the peninsula the halibut fishing will be good in may and the kings should be good fishing out in the salt. Also the ice will be gone and there is some really good fishing to be had on the lakes around here as well. Later in May the Kasilof kings will be running pretty good but the Kenai wont pick up until at least the first week in june. There are some Steelhead rivers around the peninsula but you have to work for those fish here the SE is better for that.
    If you are coming in may though your best fishing is going to be found in the saltwater

The best king fishing I had last year was the first week of May in the saltwater. But, it can be rather hit or miss on the west coast of POW in May. I love it though, because the troll fleet is off the water, most of the charters aren't fishing, and you have many good spots all to yourself.

Thumbs up Troll for Kings and Nail some Butts

Homer in May is great.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Kings and halibut sound like a good combination, but if you don't want to hit the salt it is a great time for Pike and lake trout.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Ocean fishing is a whole different animal in terms of gear and going out of ports with planes, charterboats, motels and automobiles etc; so if you are into the float/fly fishing deal by yourself in some semi-solitude; ocean fishing is not really that - it's more social and about filling up the freezer.

May is supposed to be good timing for SE steelhead and/or seacutt - preferable in some years; it's just that, at this point, you'll have to go to one of the less popular places if you would like one of the FS cabins. There's still some stuff available.

Default May fishing

Dan
    Sherry and I will be up for 3 weeks in May. We are going to do some fishing out of Seward and then head down to Homer to fish for kings and have Dave take us across the bay for a couple of days. The halibut fishing out of Seward was "great" last year in May. If ya''ll make it up that way and would like to fish with us, let me know.

Randy

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Island wide king salmon derby

Come and catch a derby winner for the annual Kodiak Islandwide king salmon derby and take home the halibut that take the bait. I have a slot open in May. visit www.kodiakcombos.com
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by txguide View Post
    Dan
    Sherry and I will be up for 3 weeks in May. We are going to do some fishing out of Seward and then head down to Homer to fish for kings and have Dave take us across the bay for a couple of days. The halibut fishing out of Seward was "great" last year in May. If ya''ll make it up that way and would like to fish with us, let me know.

Randy

Ughhh....

PM SENT!

Just reading over all the suggestions here guys. Lots of good ideas here and I appreciate your willingness to share some insights. Looks like there are far more options for May fishing trips than I first realized. Good to see as I have time off and want to go somewhere.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    I would go to one of the lesser-known steelhead streams with a USFS cabin around either Petersburg or Wrangell, and try it out for steelhead and sea run cutts. Nothing worth floating, but some have boats that you can tool around in a lake or short flat portions of streams. Some of the cabins are pretty nice to kick back at anyway.
    That idea is particulary attractive. Never been to SE, so Petersburg, Ketchikan, Wrangell, Spain, Poland, etc.. all the same to me. Got no clue which route to take there.

I have read up on some streams and such since reading this post. Found some near Ketchikan. Went to a few bush pilot websites and compared rates. Saw the info on renting the cabins. But honestly, which one? There must be hundred of these state cabins in SE Alaska. I could gave proximity to Ketchikan based on bush flight fees, but that means little in the way of productive fishing waters.

Steve, you or anyone else ever stay in a particular cabin you would suggest? If so, shoot me a PM if you will. I like the idea, but the amount of options are daunting. A remote cabin with some good holding water in a river/stream nearby? Sounds like heaven to me man.

-Dan

Default look whats available first

Dan,

You should check out recreation.gov you can search all the cabins for a given area over a given time.

Most of the popular ones are already gone. However with that being said somewhere between 200 to 300 streams in SE get runs of steelhead. Odds are there will be fish in most streams with cabins on them.

I'd start by checking out what is still available and the asking around to see if anyone has stayed there.

For example the Jordan Lake Cabin on the Naha is available for the last two weeks of may right now. (http://www.recreation.gov/campsiteCa...O&parkId=71773) It may not be absolute prime fishing but there will be fish in the system and plus I can tell you all about it before you trip.

Also the Karta River cabin, regarded as one of the best in the system, currently has and opening on may 5th for a week or so. I wish this cabin would have been open in my time frame. (http://www.recreation.gov/campsiteCa...O&parkId=71884)

Fish Creek is another that has been recommended to me in the past.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Region1/trout/cabin.cfm

This link is for catch reports for some of the SE cabins. Just look for the ones with the highest reported steelhead catches and see what available during your time frame.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...s/ktn_usfs.pdf

This link ranks the top 15 SE cabins by fish species.

Dude,

That is great info. Thanks for that.

I appreciate your time and thoughts man.

Dan