Thread: Where is the weather bouy for homer

Question Where is the weather bouy for homer

I was looking at going to homer (Again the weather kept me home) This weekend and I was looking at www.weather.com on there it shows wave height as well as wind speed etc. What I am wondering is where is the bouy at that relays that information and is it even in K-bay. The last time I looked on sat night it was showing a wave height of 8.5 ft and 25mph winds. So is this a good way of checking current weather down there or is this weather station somewhere near kodiak and have nothing really to do with it in Homer. I really want to go and drop some pots for crab but the wife will have none of it with weather like that and its the maiden voyage of this new to us boat and she wants to be able to go on the first outing with it.
    Thanks

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/textforecasts.php?type=marine

Look up north gulf coast. On the left should be the weather buoys.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default weather buoys

I believe the buoy you are referring to is # 46106
    This buoy is located approximately straight out from Anchor point.
    So no it is not totally accurate for K-Bay. There is a weather station that willl give you the ambient and wind speed located on the spit somewhere.
    Your best bet might be to talk to a homer local on this site the day before you plan to head down there.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks I got on the noaa web site and looked at all the bouys in southcentral and was not able to find anything that was close to what the weather.com had posted on their site. Bouy 46106 is down and has been for some time so I dont think that is where it is coming from mabye its just some kind of random computer generated thing. I guess next weekend I will call the harbormaster or try to get a weather forcast from the forum.

go here: http://port.ci.homer.ak.us/

this is a real-time weather report from the deep-water dock near the mouth of the harbor.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/