Thread: January Bears

Default January Bears

I new that Browns/ Grizzs will exit their dens periodically through out the winter, but I had never seen it. This past wknd I was down by Thompson Pass and watched a Brownie on the side of the mountain rummaging around his den. Of course all I had was a 22-250 in the truck, but I am going back down in a couple weeks for some more riding and may have to take the 338.

Smile

You have a PM.

you lucky bugger...dig him out man dig him out!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Alaska cub

You have a PM

CORRECTION!! for those who don't know...dig him out is not a literal term. i do not mean use a shovel and dig his hole open!!! its a term used for winter bears in the snow, or a bear in an alder patch..you dig him out, fish him out, work him out so on and so forth. not trying to mislead any folks here to what my actions as a hunter are or to promote any such activity!
    Master guide 212

Talking dig him out

I suggest the shovel and pork chop technique...only recommended for real men.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default Griz in Den

There's quite a story about hunting griz in the den in a book called On The Edge of Nowhere. Don't recommend his methods of hunting them though. He was lucky that the only thing he lost was a dog (or maybe two - can't remember). What a comical story though.

-Carnivore

Smile

To make it more of a challenge digging him out I thought I would go in blindfolded.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    CORRECTION!! for those who don't know...dig him out is not a literal term. i do not mean use a shovel and dig his hole open!!! its a term used for winter bears in the snow, or a bear in an alder patch..you dig him out, fish him out, work him out so on and so forth. not trying to mislead any folks here to what my actions as a hunter are or to promote any such activity!
    Isnt it! Digging him out literally would be very dengerous,a brown that just woke up would be quite a handful and it would be a angry customer to deal with!

ya thats why i posted the correction up there, don't want people to be getting interviewed for the paper and say some guide said it was a great idea...any moron who wants to dig one out can bleed in the snow by himself if you ask me!
    Master guide 212