Thread: What rod sizes?

Default What rod sizes?

I'm moving to anchorage in May and am really pumped to get to do some fishing up there and down on the Kenai. I want to target anything I can catch. At home here in Oregon, all I've ever fished for is trout. I have a 4 and a 5 weight rod and my grandpa just gave me a 10 weight Orvis road.

Do I need something in between for fishing for silvers or big rainbows?

Thanks

I like a 5 weight for most trout fishing, a 4 for lakes, a 7 for trout when I'm casting big flies and fishing for big trout (or a 5 wt switch). I fish a 7 for silvers, and a 9 for kings. A 7 for fall steelhead and a 9 for spring steel.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

3-4 for grayling
    5 For Rainbows/ Pinks/ Char and Dollies
    8 for Silvers/ chums/ steelies
    10+ for Kings

Drop by Mossy's Fly Shop when you get into Anchorage.

http://www.mossysflyshop.com/

Generally speaking, I think you will get lots of use out of the 5 wt you have. I would want to add a good quality 8 wt rod myself. That would be a great rod for silvers. A 5 wt and an 8 wt will cover LOTS of ground. Many ways to skin a cat though.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks for tips, looks like It's going to take some coin to get myself and my wife outfitted! LOL!

Not alot of coin to get it going for both of you.

Mid range rods to start TFO for example can be had for 200 bucks each or so. Im sure your reels you have will work for bows and dollies up here. A nice beefy reel for reds and silvers with a GOOD and I mean a GOOD drag is worth every penny. Trust me when I say that

Reds and silvers a 8 weight will serve your well and depending on the water 5-7 for trouts and dollies. Some of the rivers here are pretty swift and a lighter rod can fry the fish if you know what I mean. As I tell my wife though. You can never have to many fly rods, flies, beads, reels, or to much stuff. Funny enough she agrees. She says it is all about choice. She wants to have the choice to throw the hole dam fly box at em in a day.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Here are some Great Lake steelhead/salmon reels how do you rate them?

Ross Momentum/Canyon #4, won't freeze up in cold weather and has tons of drag. STL cartridge #3 its cheap but has a lots of drag. And there is Able top cost and top perfornace if its not freezing outside.

What are some of the best value say < $300 reels that work great for steelhead and solman.

Same for rods I see RPLxi adn their newer models as tops but I am aware of TFO, St Croix, and Orvis TLS as very good for these big fish that like to make long runs in sometimes small rivers. What are you best for the money rods? Always like knowing a good rad thats not expsive.