Thread: PWS Deer Question

Default PWS Deer Question

My buddy and I are goingg to PWS for deer this season finally. We're going to wait till October to go, so they should hopefully be down lower. My question is, is there a particular side or feature of the island that they prefer? Like, do they prefer the protected side of the island or does it not matter? Do they stay near bays or inlets? Also does Perry Island have a deer population?

I never hunted in oct. but brothers have in nov. they killed a few bucks and there was snow and all deer were low,as for question about perry there are a few deer taken there every year

There seemed to be alot of deer in the sound last year. I saw them in three different places, and this seems to be a pretty mild winter so far. It could be a good deer year next season. I hunted Hinchinbrook in Oct. and Nov. and the deer were scattered about. Some close to the beach and others up pretty high. You'll have fun no matter what. Good hunting.

Two years ago I shot one deer on Perry, but I did not see lots of sign compared to some of the islands further out. Early October this year I walked Perry for a day and did not notice much sign at all adn didn;t see any deer. Thanksgiving this last year did not have a lot of snow down to the water yet and we only shot one deer on one of the islands further out. I have not noticed a particular side or portion of an island to look for deer. I have seen them on beaches with sheer cliffs without easy escape routes as well beaches running into lower meadows. As with most deer hunting, lots of scouting to find where the deer are in the area you are hunting is the ticket. Good luck.

This is off subject but was wondering if any deer hunters came across the many lakes on perry,naked,knight island and noticed any fish.I have ran across lakes on each island, but only seen fish jumping on one lake(the big lake on perry above the oyster farm) I have always said I was gona fish that lake but always find myself pre-ocupied.I would think they were cutthroats.Any thoughts our insights would be apreciated.