Thread: Minto Flats Moose Jan 3

Default Minto Flats Moose Jan 3

Anyone going moose hunting? If you have an empty freezer and a snowmachine nows your chance! Or atleast tomorrow (Jan 3) from noon-2 to get a permit.

State to issue permits for winter moose hunt

The Department of Fish and Game will issue registration permits for a winter moose hunt in the Minto Flats Management Area in game management unit 20B from noon-2 p.m. on Jan. 3 in Fairbanks, Minto and Nenana. Forty permits will be issue in Fairbanks, 36 in Minto and 24 in Nenana.

The permits allow the holder to shoot a moose of either sex from the time the season opens on Jan. 10 until it closes Feb. 28.

Permits are issued on a first-come, first-served basis and hunters must physically maintain their own place in line to get a permit. Applicants must have a 2007 hunting license in their possession to get a permit. Permits will be limited to one per household. Only Alaska residents may apply. If hunters have killed a moose anywhere in Alaska after July 1, 2006 they are not eligible for the hunt.

In Fairbanks, the line will originate outside the doors of the white ATCO unit east of the Fish and Game office at 1300 College Road. In Minto, the line will form at the Minto Lakeview Lodge. In Nenana, hunters will line up at the north entrance of the Nenan Tribal Hall at 802 G St.

Due to a mistake, Fairbanks was omitted as a permit distribution point in the state hunting regulation booklet.

For more information, call Fish and Game at 459-7206 or 459-7233.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Anyone go get a permit???
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Got one...

My brother and I got one each.

Last year I went way up into zone 5 during the warm spell at the end of January, and ran into a big group of moose up in the hills. Had my pick of the 14 on the hill...

Thought maybe I'd do that again this year, but since everybody seems to want the Minto Flats permit so bad, I found myself wanting one too...

However, I'm not real sure about the scenario: start snowmachining from Murphy Dome Road... buzz around on the trails I assume are all over the place out there... find any moose... shoot...

Is that about how it should go? Are they pretty evenly distributed out there? I assume the Minto Moose aren't like their cousins in Zone 5, which weren't in the flats at all but up in the hills... I'd obviously be greatfull for any pointers/specifics people might have to offer...

Thanks

So has anyone ever hunted the RM785, Minto Flats Moose hunt before and if so does anyone have any pointers on where to go? General area I mean no one likes to give away there hunting locations. Further does anyone know the ice thickness on the Chatanika River and surrounding rivers?

Default Minto Flats

A buddy and I went saturday. We dont have sleds so we pretty much had to stick to hunting along the elliott. We seen 4 but couldnt get anywheres close to them. I think the weather had em bedded up. The temps was about -20 with a constant 35-45mph wind. Going to try again this weekend, the temps are supposed to be alot warmer.

Me and my buddy went this weekend from Friday to Sunday and did not see anything along the river. We put in at the boat landing in Minto and the river was about 13 inch thick so we had no problems getting around, but there was just no sign of any animals. Might try this weekend as well but if they get any snow I wont be able to make it with my four-wheeler. The snow in spots was deep but there really was not enough snow to worry about getting stuck. The Moose seemed to be in the higher elevations though thatís where we seen all the signs/ tracks.

Question How do you Quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Herriott View Post
    My brother and I got one each.

Last year I went way up into zone 5 during the warm spell at the end of January, and ran into a big group of moose up in the hills. Had my pick of the 14 on the hill...

Thought maybe I'd do that again this year, but since everybody seems to want the Minto Flats permit so bad, I found myself wanting one too...

However, I'm not real sure about the scenario: start snowmachining from Murphy Dome Road... buzz around on the trails I assume are all over the place out there... find any moose... shoot...

Is that about how it should go? Are they pretty evenly distributed out there? I assume the Minto Moose aren't like their cousins in Zone 5, which weren't in the flats at all but up in the hills... I'd obviously be greatfull for any pointers/specifics people might have to offer...

Thanks
    Not that it's any of my business, but if you shot one last year in January, how do you qualify for a permit this year when the regs say no permit if you shot a moose after July 2006?

Not that it's any of my business, but if you shot one last year in January, how do you qualify for a permit this year when the regs say no permit if you shot a moose after July 2006?
    Where does it say this? Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    The original post in this thread appears to quote the ADF&G announcement from last year... *this* year you needed to have your 2008 license (not "2007") and can't have got a moose this current regulatory year, which started July 1, 2007, not "July 1, 2006."

Default That darn Snyd!

That darn Snyd is playing tricks on us! Good Luck..I hope you freezer gets full for the winter!

Default chatanika

The ice is fine and I've seen moose each time I've been down the chatanika to my friends cabin, There are occasional open spots though.

Thunder are you putting in on the river in mito or where??? and how much snow is on the river??

Default Old thread...

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    That darn Snyd is playing tricks on us! Good Luck..I hope you freezer gets full for the winter!
    Someone drug up this old thread from LAST January. Check the date of my original post. 1/2/2007

I have no idea what the deal is with this hunt this year.