Thread: So I cant wait to hunt deer

Default So I cant wait to hunt deer

I have never hunted deer in the sound and I plan on going out on opening day and I cant wait to do it. I have read everythng I can find on this forum and cant really find much on hunting that early I know that the deer will be high up and I will have to hike my @$$ off to get to them. I also plan on doing a later season hunt but I really want to get out and try it asap. Does anyone else hunt this eaarly and have they had success doing it also if someone is so kind to point me in the right direction as to which island might be the best bet I am running a 25 fot boat so I can hit just about all of them if the weather is good.
    I was planning to hunt either Knight or montigue islands but dont really know where to start.
    Thanks for the input and help

On either Knight or Montague in August you are going to have to strap your pack on and head high. It's possible to hunt either island from the boat because of the long daylight in August, just a lot of work. There really is no more specific information other than to climb high and work the edges of the meadows carefully. Watch for brown bear on Montague, not sure about Knight.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

we hunt pws almost every opening day since the road has been open.allways get a few bucks.night,naked,perry islands all have deer but plan to go up high.seen most deer at or near the top.they really stand out in august with the red coats, and we always have best luck on morning hunts,very few bucks killed in the evening.

Default PWS opening day bucks

Default Thanks

Nice deer and thanks for the info Kotton. Those are some nice deer. I am really looing forward to hunting those animals this year, How is the meat I am assuming it dosnt get much better than an early deer, since they are not in the rut yet.
    I hear the islands can be really brushy how is it getting above the timber line. And is it better at the timber line or farther up.

It is pretty brushy going up mostly six foot tall high blueberry bush,lots of fern.we usally find a deer trail and the usaly go up,once u get high enough it starts to open up.I like climb to a good vantage point and start glassing they really stand out.have seen a few in the brush for a second almost impossable to tell if they were bucks.they are also the best deer I've ate,and if lucky enough your aloud five bucks,nice way to stock freezer early.

Default Word

Easy to shoot......hard to carry! Choose your buck carefully.

Two is feasible if your tough as nails. Alaska Tough!

Good luck and quit teasing us about deer already. Grin.

Default It helps to talk about it for us addicts

Good luck and quit teasing us about deer already. Grin.[/QUOTE]

Sorry it has been a long winter and I need to get out and do a little hunting and get some blood on my hands and fresh meat on the table. Last years moose is great but deer or bear sounds down right good about now. If you cant do well you can talk about it till you can. Helps pass the time.
    I am heading to Africa for the first time in April and that is making the hunting bug itch that much more.
    Hunting season still seems so far away

Kotton, sorry but I got to rib you a little. Those must be some tuff deer that you need an M-16 and a 20round clip.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Kotton, sorry but I got to rib you a little. Those must be some tuff deer that you need an M-16 and a 20round clip.
    Sorry but that's my buddy John packin the war machine,It was his first year becomeing a resident and picked that for his first hunting gun, don't worry he got alot of crap from us but he also harvested a moose deer and blackbear with that litle .223,he did pull that triger alot(after shooting my .300win he went and bought one the next season)