Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PALMER CREEK fun ride March 6'th Be there.

Default PALMER CREEK fun ride March 6'th Be there.

First the bad news, yes some dumbarse local might put a small no parking sticker on one window.

Now the Good news.........5' to 7' of base snow and 22" of fresh snow. The riding is truly awesome. For highly skilled riders, if you go to the back of the valley 12 miles, then turn right up into a side valley that goes toward Caribou Creek, you can go another 1.5 to 2 miles.

Palmer Creek gets shutdown early in the spring, because the trail head is at sea level, and they close the gate, so in an other month you can't get up the road to where there is snow. But for the next two or three weeks it will be awesome riding.

The parking lot at the trail head is small, but Discovery Drive on the left as you go up Palmer Creek Road, is near the trail head, and is Kenai Peninsula property, with No private property on that road, as it is a Kenai Borough pending sale of new two acre lots. All that land is borough property, and should offer spill over parking.

Ride safe, see ya in the back of the valley. Note: The Discovery Café is closed for the winter.

RMK

Default Sounds Fun

Rats. A hurt shoulder has me on the side lines.

I guess I'll be watching the Iditarod start instead. Be sure to update us on the sticker fiasco. I'm interested to see if the sticker phantom appears.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AT Sea Level.........

Thursday March 4'th.......9" of perfect snow, not to wet, not to dry, just perfect.

Friday March 5'th........7" more overnight and still snowing at 1.5" per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Now the Good news.........5' to 7' of base snow and 22" of fresh snow. The riding is truly awesome. For highly skilled riders, if you go to the back of the valley 12 miles, then turn right up into a side valley that goes toward Caribou Creek, you can go another 1.5 to 2 miles.
    You said the area is for highly skilled riders... can you clarify for me a little bit? I have never rode there before. What is the terrain like..??

Quote Originally Posted by jtblaster View Post
    You said the area is for highly skilled riders... can you clarify for me a little bit? I have never rode there before. What is the terrain like..??

If a rider on their very first ride stays on the valley floor, it is a 24 mile round trip, with lots of old gold mine tailing piles to play on in the back of the valley. The floor is much like Turnagain Pass, only staggeringly more beautiful.

For the advanced rider there are side valleys that lead to other valleys.

NOTE: I would stay on the valley floor this week-end, we have gotten 22" of snow yesterday and today. I would expect rider/X-C skier/snowshoe triggered Avalanche risk to be extremely high this weekend.

Default Canceled

Canceled do to excess snow. 28" of snow today, Hope road closed.

Hope Road is now open...........

Anyone going down there this weekend? I've never ridden there and would like to take the wife someplace close. Might even be up for a ride out that way tomorrow if conditions are good.

Unhappy

I am going to stay out of there for a'wee'bit, we just got another 50" of snow Monday & Tuesday...........

So you don't think it's safe to ride back there? I don't want to go somewhere I have never been if there's a chance something bad could happen. If we stayed down low would we be safe?

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    So you don't think it's safe to ride back there? I don't want to go somewhere I have never been if there's a chance something bad could happen. If we stayed down low would we be safe?

It ain't safe enough for me, for the young hot'dogs maybe. We have got 70" of snow in the last week. It is an awesome valley, but it will be just as awesome a week from now, and hopefully safer.

Well, i'm not that young myself but I do love to ride my sled. I think we'll hold off for another day and go elsewhere. Thanks for the info.

Anyone ridden this place yet? Thinking about going there this Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Anyone ridden this place yet? Thinking about going there this Friday.

It should be outstanding.......I would stay on the valley floor.

My son is visiting on leave

we have a couple of 700 RMKs

I'm mostly a trail rider but he likes to play in the powder

we were going to go check out eureka but sounds like this might be an option too

can you tell me where this ride launches off from, parking, etc.?

I appreciate it!!

Last chance to find someone that wants to ride tomorrow or I have to stay home and finish the honey do list.

We ended up going to Petersville on Saturday but we are looking for something different for this coming weekend. Anyone been out to Palmer Creek since the last big snow fall? Is it worthy of a good ride on Saturday?

This Sat. should be good riding, we got 3" of fresh snow last night. Things have tightened up with the warm afternoons, and 22* nights.

Thanks for the report AGL4now, I think we are going to hit this place up on Saturday. Would you mind sharing directions and can an F250 pulling a 4 place open trailer park there? Thanks again.

Default Conditions up Palmer Creek???

Anyone go up the valley this past weekend? What are the conditions like? Can you ride from the lot, and how was the parking area? Any issues?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast