Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Report!

Default Kenai Report!

I hit the kenai this past saturday and man was it cold, started out with some beads with no success, then switched to a glo bug had 1 rainbow on, then decided to switch to a dolly llama in olive/white, had 2 silvers slam it, then finally got a 20+ in dolly, all in all a great day on the water, was fishing at the cooper landing bridge, also seen another guy catch a nice bow around 22in.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    , then decided to switch to a dolly llama in olive/white, had 2 silvers slam it,

I've found it almost impossible to keep silvers away from the dolly llama while targeting rainbows. Especially in low clear water they will do anything they can to get at that thing. A lot of times the only thing that has worked for me is to strip the llama over the top of the silvers and rainbows will come out of the pack to nail it.

i know what you mean, on one of the silvers i was just about to cast again looked away fly was not even 1 foot from shore and wham, the fly was vrtually in 8 in of water. they are some angry critters. deff get the adrenaline flowing. ill have to try that tech of stripping it over silvers.

i know what you mean, on one of the silvers i was just about to cast again looked away fly was not even 1 foot from shore and wham, the fly was vrtually in 8 in of water. they are some angry critters. deff get the adrenaline flowing. ill have to try that tech of stripping it over silvers.

That Tech works well. I have found over the last 2 years of winter fishing that them there silvers are just pissed. They slam flesh, beads, of course ESL's. We have anchored behind a school of them where we could see the bows. Trying to get your gear to the bows those silvers would just turn and hit your stuff like a nuclear sub.

The Cone head works very very well in deep pools in the fall for some hog bows on the upper. I have a buddy who has mastered that tech. I knew the water he was looking for as it is not the same as I use drifting a bead. Man he pulled big fishes out of just about every hole and some hole produced multiple fish. Im on a PC at someone elses house now but Ill post pics of them when I get to work, Yes I surf the forum at work, The joys of management
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

some fall hogs caught on dolly llama's on the upper kenai in september
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 05-13-2010 at 12:07.

a couple of more

Thumbs up

nicely done! i just got done tying up a new batch of dolly llamas and gonna hit the kenai again this weekend. hopefully will have pics like that!

nicely done! i just got done tying up a new batch of dolly llamas and gonna hit the kenai again this weekend. hopefully will have pics like that!

I might be having the day off tomorrow. If so I get to make a run. with everything that has gone on since october I am dying for a day with my shrink Dr Kenai

Thumbs up

LOL hes been rather good to me so far this year, olive and white good luck

LOL hes been rather good to me so far this year, olive and white good luck

Thanks I got lots of Olive and whites and that is all ricky used in the pics. He caught a butt load of fish that day

They are sharp looking. Below is a pic of some I bought from www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com in Juneau. I am liking these for big dollies in NW Alaska as well as bows in SC/SW. Great fly shop and these guys sell the best flies I have ever bought...

The pink/ginger should make a great late season fly...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have bunches of those both Dan. I pick mine up over at World Wide Angler. Then again it is a whole lot easier for me to run over there than you too. That olive and green is just freaking deadly stuff for sure. I am gonna work on the same technique ricky used to get them hogs this year. Ill just let Joan cast his bead and put myself on some spots I want too.

I will be using these in Sept for sure. Wish I had used them this past Sept. I got all caught up learning how to fish beads and my centerpin. That kept me busy and it is always fun to learn something new. However, I do wish I had spent more time swinging these on my 8wt. Hindsight is always 20/20
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I will be using these in Sept for sure. Wish I had used them this past Sept. I got all caught up learning how to fish beads and my centerpin. That kept me busy and it is always fun to learn something new. However, I do wish I had spent more time swinging these on my 8wt. Hindsight is always 20/20

I have wanted to do it for 2 years. I just need to take a day and work and work the tech. There are some "special" areas to really get the fish with the dolly llama. Oh and I happen to know where there are a few. We can do it this year and let joan and carrie fling beads. A couple of the places are around some large bars and islands so we can all get our fish fix in

Here is his dolly varden with a dolly llama in its face, This was on windy corner right before the bluff where Carrie hooked her hog on the drift. At the end of windy the trees hang there and carcass piles and deep swirling water.

You know the size of my net show this gives you a good size of that dolly. Plsu ricky holding it in the pics is good too. Ricky is about 6'2 225. Not small by any means

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    We can do it this year and let joan and carrie fling beads. A couple of the places are around some large bars and islands so we can all get our fish fix in

Sweet! I will look forward to it in Sept.

Default Picture: Feb 27,2010

Here is a pic from last weekend, downloaded off cell phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Image.JPG  

That there is a nice, very nice winter fish. Great job. It looks like Ill met you and bowdy down there sunday

Looks a little chilly dude! Nice Fish!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thumbs up

alaskachuck- thats what i heard bowdy said that you were going to grace us with your presence! hopefully a great time on the water. see ya sunday

bigcox- yeah it was freakin cold i think it was 11 with the wind chill felt like -10, still was worth it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast