Thread: Hunting ATV

Default Hunting ATV

My husband and I are looking to buy an atv for hunting. Does anyone have any suggestions for a brand? Honda or Polaris? Any suggestions would be great.

If you and your husband are going hunting on a single vehicle, as your question implies, then you need a Polaris Ranger, no less.

Default ATV for Hunting

It depends on how much you are willing to spend, whether or not you are looking for something to take two people on one machine, and how reliable a machine you are looking for. In order of MY preference: For single width quads; Can Am Outlander ( comes in a 2 up as a Max ), Honda Foreman, Yamaha Grizzly, Polaris Sportsman. For double width quads; Polaris Ranger, Yamaha Rhino, Kawasaki Teryx, Polaris Razr.
    This is of course just an opinion based on being out with my own Can Am, and friends/relatives/other hunters who have the others.
    The smaller double widths are not really designed for the rigors of hunting, and you'll definitely need a trailer for gear/meat, where you can generally get in and out ( maybe with two or more trips ) with the single widths. You'll also have to decide on the hunting area. The double widths don't get in between the trees as well and are more useful on the open tundra.

I can only suggest you do a LOT of research BEFORE you buy. They are expensive investments ( toys ).

Thumbs up polaris ranger 6x6

I bought polaris ranger 6x6 last spring and was impressed with the performance. The only extra I bought was the windshield. I built a top,doors, and back out of 1/8'' aluminum. A good winch and rope come along are a must for any machine. I also looked at the 4x4 ranger HD it was comparing clearance vs flotation and for where I hunt the 6x6 was my choice. If you are riding in real wet country and have the budget I would look at 8x8 argos. Good luck

Default Wow, what a loaded question.

And by loaded I mean standby because you'll be loaded with more information than you care to read and by the time you're done reading everyone's opinion you'll be prepared for whatever machine you buy to blow up the first mile down the trail. That's how it goes on this forum when you ask for everyone's opinion.

Some simple questions to start out with are;

1. What is your price range?
    2. Do you want to ride together or separate
    3. What size trailer do you currently have or are you willing to purchase to haul your wheeler(s) around on.

Normally, people would suggest that you consider the type of terrain you plan on riding on, but I suggest planning on it being sucky, muddy, steep, rutted, rocky, slippery, wooded, etc. Most trails and areas here have all of the above and few are only one kind of riding so plan and buying for the worst trail conditions that you can afford and you'll be okay.

Now, I'm a Polaris Ranger owner if you make a decision to go with a side by side vs. single seater or two-up then PM me and I'll do my best to convince you why the Polaris Ranger is better than the Prowler, Rhino, etc. If you decide to go with a single seater or two-up again PM me and I'll do my best to convince you that Polaris is the best wheeler.

I would steer away from arctic cat. I have a pretty much brand new one and have had nothing but problems. WOnt start cold auto choke sucks battery drains mysteriously. WOnt idle dies after youve been riding it. the only things i like about it is the clearnce appearance and locking diff. i hear alot good about the newer grizz though. I think that would be my next purchase.

i own a honda forman 450 and an argo 8x8 I love both of them for hunting but prefer the argo lots of gear in and plenty of room and floatation for meat out and then there is the option of a trailer!!LOL

Grizzly 700, no problems with 1300 miles. Rode with some popo's last winter and 2 of them over heated.